Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cable launching
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slim
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/05/2017 :  17:58:32  Show Profile
Hi all

I have a slight dilemma and would like your input on it if you would. I’m getting ready to take my boat (c25 fixed keel 4' draft) to lake mead in march and launch it. some of you may be familiar with lake mead and its continuing drop in levels over the past 10 years. At any rate as i am an elderly gentleman and will be alone on the launch i thought it might be wise to enlist the help of the locale marina for a launch service. After contacting them though i discovered that the fee for this service would be $125.00 each way in and out! so i am looking into possibly launching on my own with a cable extension of my trailer. I would appreciate any information from anyone that can shed light on this subject (launching with cable extension) and general advice on my situation. Please do not be too harsh on me, you will all be here someday if you are lucky.

Thanks Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2017 :  19:31:26  Show Profile
It can be done with a proper load rated strap or cable. My friend has a fixed keel C25 and he made a removable steel channel bar that is very very long. You will need to add a large wheel to front of trailer that drops down when ready to launch, as the tongue jack and wheel would collapse if used for launching with a cable or strap. We have a C25 wing keel and launch with a removable 8 Ft channel bar extension. Also it is very important to have the correct weighted launch vehicle.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2017 :  19:38:02  Show Profile
Slim if you want to visit Lake Pleasant, AZ we have a $25 in and $25 out tractor launch service at Scorpion Bay on the west side of the lake. We Snowbird here for the past 8 years and love the lake which has plenty of water and two marinas with restaurants, stores, camping and a RV resort.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2017 :  14:42:20  Show Profile
Hi Lynn

Thanks for the input on my subject i will probably go with the marina help for the first launch at lake mead as it has been many years since i launched my last boat. I have my goals and thoughts set on going to lake mead and finances dictate that i don't wander to far from my objectives. By the way if you are still looking for a pop top enclosure i have one that is in good condition does not look like it was ever used or rarely at most. If you are interested just pm me.

Thanks again Slim

Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2017 :  15:52:52  Show Profile
Hi all

Here is a solution that i found on the comp. and it has some obvious advantages over other tongue extension i have seen, mainly that the weight of the trailer goes on the wheels rather than on the tubular or pipe tongue extension itself and that means no more bending from the weight. This in itself justifies this design and i am thinking of using it for my own. Slim

Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2017 :  23:05:50  Show Profile
I have seen the same thing with bigger wheels and shorter extension. Man those little wheels sure don't look like they would handle the tongue weight of a C25

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 01/07/2017 :  07:46:18  Show Profile
Ya that extension in the photos is 38 ft long WOW!! I don't know what the load rating is on the wheels but i would think that the tongue weight would be dictated by the placement of the boat on the trailer. Other wheels i have seen on the comp. are rated at 600lb each so that would be adequate if these are the same. The boat in the photo is right at 12000 lb plus the trailer. I am no engineer but it appears to be working for him.

Slim

Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2017 :  23:20:24  Show Profile
Slim, we launched our 1987 C25 wing keel with the added wheel on the trailer and the 10ft. bar extension from the truck to the trailer. Worked fine and was able to get boat off trailer. Our trailer has rollers and the last time the boat was put on it was lifted on instead of pulled on and the wing keel did not center properly on trailer. This time we winched it on and it centered perfectly. The new two speed oversized winch location prevented the boat from coming all the way to the bow stop (8 in.), which caused no tongue weight when the extension was removed and trailer hooked to truck. So now we will move the bow stop and trailer winch and the refloat it to get weight forward. Next time we launch we plan to use a heavy rated strap instead of the bar. The bar seemed heavy, requires an extra line up to trailer and awkward to move around and store. A strap may work better.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page