Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 My First Mod - Fender Baskets
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl in LA
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/02/2017 :  19:43:13  Show Profile
Hi All...

Another attempt at posting pictures... I tried making the photos smaller this time...

Fender baskets at the back of the stern seats...

Best,

Carl

and...

That is an 8.5-inch fender... too big for the little Catalina? Maybe - but it was on sale at West Marine...

All good...

Carl

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2017 :  20:43:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Carl in LA

...That is an 8.5-inch fender... too big for the little Catalina?...

Not if you ever dock or raft up in conditions where waves might move the boat(s) around. IMHO, fenders are only too big if you can't store them somewhere, and even then, sometimes they're not too big!

(Good work with the pix!)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/02/2017 20:44:26
Go to Top of Page

gosenbach
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  13:07:58  Show Profile
Agree! Fenders are never too large. I have a pair of huge ones and they have been life savers. We got some massive wind storms this last winter. The big fenders let me tight up super tight while still having lots for space between me and the dock. I don't have baskets though. I might just have to get one or two. However where you have that basket is where I mount the lifesling... Where did you mount your lifesling (or equivalent)?

Did those stern seat back pads come with your boat? if not where did you find them?

Gregory
(Catalina 250 MkII WK #971)
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  18:18:10  Show Profile
Hello Gosen...

They came with the boat to me... presume they were part of the original owners original purchase. If so they are 10 years old. They are in good condition and are quite comfy.

Currently not mounting a life sling although there is one on board... would suck to ever have to use it.

Carl

quote:
Originally posted by gosenbach

Did those stern seat back pads come with your boat? if not where did you find them?

Edited by - Carl in LA on 04/26/2017 18:19:57
Go to Top of Page

gosenbach
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2017 :  12:51:00  Show Profile
The coast guard would have me pulled over before I even got around the jetty if they could not see it. :)

Gregory
(Catalina 250 MkII WK #971)

Edited by - gosenbach on 04/28/2017 12:51:24
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2017 :  21:31:58  Show Profile
I had always presumed my seat cushion was my throwable... I could be wrong.

Anybody know the rules?

quote:
Originally posted by gosenbach

The coast guard would have me pulled over before I even got around the jetty if they could not see it. :)

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2017 :  10:51:04  Show Profile
quote:
I had always presumed my seat cushion was my throwable..

It is as long as it has a label stating that it is a type IV throwable device. I don't have a life sling but I do have a horeshoe hanging on the stern rail and also 2 of those square cushions that are always in the cockpit being used as butt and back cushions.

From the Coastguard regs.
A Type IV, Throwable Device is intended for use anywhere . It is designed
to be thrown to a person in the water and grasped and held by
the user until rescued . It is not designed or intended to be worn . Type
IV devices include buoyant cushions, ring buoys, and horseshoe buoys .
There are no Coast Guard-approved inflatable Type IV. Type IV throwable device should be immediately available.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

kjk
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  06:56:59  Show Profile
Greg, I found this site for seat rail cushions. I'm going to give them a try.

http://zarcor.com/products/sternperch/pads-cushions.php

Kevin J. Kiely
Rockport, MA
1999WK
Hull # 407
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  09:48:23  Show Profile
FWIW, any local canvas shop can make them up for you. My C34 came with them from the prior owner, but one was sun damaged and had to be re-made. I was getting my dodger and bimini restitched, and she added on the new cover for $40. I have to supply my own padding for inside.

Previous owner used rubber foam pipe insulation inside the cover, which degraded into little black power particles that got all over everything, so I will replace them with pipe insulation like shown here:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-1-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Plumbing-Tubular-Pipe-Insulation/3133247

(Note: Measure the ID of the foam before buying. The dimensions are nominal, and IIRC, the 0.75" ID might fit your 1" SS tubing better.)

FWIW, on my C250 I just used the pipe insulation with no canvas cover. It worked fine and lasted a whole season. Each year I'd cut off the old one and replace it for $1.26. So it's your choice: cheap and functional for $1.26 each season or two fancy blue covers for about $81.26.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 05/01/2017 09:51:50
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  10:29:29  Show Profile
Does anyone know, is the stainless all 1" on the stanchions, seat supports, etc.?

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  11:58:00  Show Profile
Yes, All 1".

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  12:29:10  Show Profile
To upgrade Ricks idea of pipe insulation I use Pool Noodles for the two upright bars that get me in the back. They are a little thicker or you can get the oversized ones like I did, All for about $6. Pick your colors to go with the boat and if you toss them in the cabin when not in use they will last for years. They fit 1" pipe perfectly.

Edited by - islander on 05/01/2017 12:31:39
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  12:57:59  Show Profile
A couple of updates here.

First, I've used the pool noodles for a number of things, but they do not work well for the C250 perch seats.

Regarding the pipe insulation, I needed to buy some for under the canvas covers on my current boat, so I went and did the measurements. These 3/4" ones work best with the 1" SS tubing. They are labeled by nominal US pipe size, and not by the OD of the tubing. 1" pipe is typically 1.05" OD, so that's the size that you want. Also, I highly recommend spending a few extra pennies and getting the kind with adhesive pre-applied to the bonding edges. It makes a much cleaner connection without the need to use electrical tape or anything else. Here's what I bought today (same stuff I bought last year):

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-3-4-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Plumbing-Tubular-Pipe-Insulation/1060005

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 05/01/2017 12:58:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page