Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New ST winch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hewebb
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/30/2016 :  04:29:05  Show Profile
I recently purchased two ST/ two speed winches. I went through them and finally got to install them. I removed the two #16 two speed winches and placed the ST winches in the same location. I took the two # 16 winches and moved them back to use when flying the spinnakers. I had to move the furler line on the port side and I believe it will work better in the new location.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

Edited by - hewebb on 12/01/2016 04:00:46

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2016 :  07:36:55  Show Profile
Hard to see...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2016 :  09:13:44  Show Profile
In light air, the pressure on the sails is so light that you hardly even need winches, but you'll really appreciate the upgrade in stronger winds. The self tailers will help when shorthanded. When the line is locked into the self tailer, it will free up both hands so that you can grind the winch with one hand and either steer the boat, or prop yourself up with the other.

My C25 had 2 speed winches, but not self tailers. With two speed winches, you can use the low speed, high power to easily make very small, fine sail trim adjustments that would be extremely difficult to make under heavy load without the added mechanical advantage.

Both features are nice, but I considered the self tailers to be primarily useful for cruising, while the two speeds were useful for either racing or for cruising. You usually have crew when you race, and one person can tail while another grinds. But, whether racing or cruising, most people with ordinary physical ability need the extra power in the winch to be able to fine trim the sail easily when under heavy load.

Be sure you mount both sets of winches correctly. The sheet should lead up to the first wrap of the line around the base of the winch. The lead angle on your primary winches should be ok with the winches mounted directly on the gunwale. You might need to elevate the spinnaker winches on a teak or star board pad to get the correct angle. That will prevent most line overrides.

Also, when you're facing the installed winch, divide it into four quadrants. The stripper arm should generally be pointed toward the quadrant nearest you, and on your left. That helps keep the stripper arm out of the way when you release the sheet. I haven't been able to find good, clear installation instructions for Lewmars (maybe someone else will have better luck), but instructions for Anderson winches can be found at this link, and I think they're applicable. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-g_RY2uN1Fc0RLZ1IyWFVOWHc/view

You're going to love those new winches!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 11/30/2016 09:21:05
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2016 :  03:58:55  Show Profile
Dave, I don't know why the photo is so small. Everywhere else it is much bigger. I will try again.https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBRimg.cgi?+2095+4145

Steve, I was lucky to have the installation instructions for these winches. The lead in angles worked out OK. I left the cam cleats in place to use when in light air and can trim without the winch handle, especially when tacking often.

Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2016 :  16:22:04  Show Profile
Your first attempt with the photo has a "tn" on the end of the URL. I'm guessing that's the URL for the thumbnail version ("tiny"). (?)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/01/2016 16:23:43
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2016 :  04:26:29  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
pretty winches. leave the cam cleats. they come in handy sometimes. i left mine on. I also have a third ST winch for the main halyard and reefing lines on the top of the cabin. that is where i appreciate it the most.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2016 :  06:38:16  Show Profile
quote:
leave the cam cleats. they come in handy sometimes. i left mine on. I also have a third ST winch for the main halyard and reefing lines on the top of the cabin. that is where i appreciate it the most.

I will leave the cam cleats on. I have already used them in light air. I had not thought of ST winches on the cabin top. I may have to look for a small one that will work up there. I have the main halyard, cunningham and reef line, which I use the same line, on the starboard side with clutches.

Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page