Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 West Coast Catalina 25 Trailer Mfg?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/08/2016 :  20:33:13  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
Anybody know anyone on the West Coast that does trailers for Catalina 25s with fixed keels?

I finally got around to calling Trail-Rite only to get a very simple "Hello?" When I said I was trying to reach Trail-Rite I was informed they are no longer in the trailer business.

Could kick myself in the tail for letting the only one I could find in Nor-Cal get away.

I found a place on the other coast specifically listing a Catalina 25, but nobody on the West Coast and when I look at pictures from existing manufacturers I don't see anybody doing fixed keel sailboat trailers.

C-25 #89 - Dos Kilo$, 1977 SR/FK/"L" Interior
Tim & Nikki, Lake Oroville CA USA

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2016 :  20:49:24  Show Profile
CAn't help you with the west coast. I almost ordered a trailer from these guys in GA. Fourth pic in their photo section is a C25 fin keel trailer:
http://www.sailtrailers.com/

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 11/08/2016 20:52:10
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2016 :  21:29:39  Show Profile
I was able to find a trailer on cl. Not even sure of the manufacturer. It was 1,600 dollars and very adjustable. Took about a half a day of in and out on the ramp to get it proper, but it works great. So, keep looking. You might have to travel a little between the bay or so cal

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2016 :  16:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Tim,

I live in Southern California. Call Pacific Trailers in Chino, Ca. They won't have one in stock but they are custom boat trailer manufacturers. But I believe you would be looking at around $6000 bucks. On the other hand, if you go look at the swap meet area you will find that I have a dual axle fin keel trailer for sale. There are pictures there as well. I was contacted yesterday by an interested party, but he wants to cut off the boat cradle sections and convert it to a flat bed to carry his ATVs. I would so much rather see a fellow C25 owner get it. Best of luck'

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2016 :  16:32:43  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Hi Tim,

On the other hand, if you go look at the swap meet area you will find that I have a dual axle fin keel trailer for sale. There are pictures there as well. ... I would so much rather see a fellow C25 owner get it. Best of luck'

I had seen that a while back early on my quest but I must have incorrectly assumed I could only sling/hoist launch on it. I am definitely interested in finding out more. So Cal is not to far of a drive for me as I go to San Felipe a few times a year (with a couple more times left this year.)

I'll e-mail you this eveing when I'm on another computer!

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2016 :  17:32:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OrovilleTim

quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Hi Tim,

On the other hand, if you go look at the swap meet area you will find that I have a dual axle fin keel trailer for sale. There are pictures there as well. ... I would so much rather see a fellow C25 owner get it. Best of luck'

I had seen that a while back early on my quest but I must have incorrectly assumed I could only sling/hoist launch on it. I am definitely interested in finding out more. So Cal is not to far of a drive for me as I go to San Felipe a few times a year (with a couple more times left this year.)

I'll e-mail you this eveing when I'm on another computer!

I have seen C25 FK boats trailer-launched from that type of trailer hundreds of times. It's certainly do-able. It depends on the design of the boat ramp. If the boat ramp is steep, and lets the trailer go deep enough, then the boat will float off the trailer. A tongue extension will enable you to back the trailer further, into deeper water. But, some ramps are designed to launch shallow draft boats, and they won't let you get the trailer into deep enough water to float the boat off the trailer.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2016 :  17:51:18  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
quote:
I have seen C25 FK boats trailer-launched from that type of trailer hundreds of times. It's certainly do-able. It depends on the design of the boat ramp. If the boat ramp is steep, and lets the trailer go deep enough, then the boat will float off the trailer. A tongue extension will enable you to back the trailer further, into deeper water. But, some ramps are designed to launch shallow draft boats, and they won't let you get the trailer into deep enough water to float the boat off the trailer.

Our ramps here are YUGE, haha. Here's just one example at lower lake level:

They are all very long, rather steep, etc. to handle constantly changing lake levels. So, after watching a few videos and with this specific confirmation I see a trip to So Cal in my very near future!

Should I wish to take it to the Delta I may just have them pick it up on one of the big hoist things and splash 'er in. But at least now I have the option to do my thru-hulls and other out of water stuff (and maybe even take it to the Sea of Cortez should a dream become a reality, but that's a whole 'nother post, haha.)

Appreciate the comfirmation!

Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2016 :  07:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Getting back to the original topic, I'd also like to find a trailer manufacturer on the Left Coast. And it has nothing to do with us in California planning on being on the run for the next four years.

A few months back I called Pacific, because the better looking trailers in the local storage yard were made by them, but they quickly told me that they no longer make sailboat trailers. End of conversation. I was so dismayed at the stridence of his response that it didn't occur to me until I hung up to ask why.

So, in the very near future I need a new trailer (mine will be for a swinger), and I need to find a manufacturer who can build it. I have a strong hunch that it will have to be custom-made job. They could take measurements from the one I have (before it collapses in a pile of red dust), but I'd feel a lot more confident if I was working with a firm that has a successful track record with our specific boats.

If anybody has any leads on experienced sailboat trailer fabricators, please - PLEASE - pass them along to us here. Thanks.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2016 :  08:59:55  Show Profile
Lee, have looked and/or inquired on Trailersailor.com?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2016 :  11:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. I went back and looked at the TrailerSailor forums, and I don't think I'll bother signing up so I can post something. I had been reading it back when I started considering what kind of boat to get for my retirement dream of sailing the lakes and coastlines of North America, but I gave up after a little while because it was more about casual social chatting among the members than exchanging helpful information. I just checked back there, and the interface is even less helpful for finding particular threads of interest. One of the more important factors that influenced my choice of a Catalina 25 was this forum: there is, naturally, a social chattiness element within these threads, but the primary focus is in exchanging information - particularly in helping each other with questions or problems. Anyway, it was a good idea, Dave, so thanks for the thought.

Anyone else on this side of the country have any suggestions for a trailer fabricator that I could drive to in a day or so?

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2016 :  12:14:08  Show Profile
I bought an EZ Loader trailer with my C25, and couldn't have been more pleased with it. Mine had swing arms and roller bunks instead of fixed bunks, and all I needed to launch my FK boat was 4' of water just at the rear of the wheels. A roller bunk trailer will be more expensive, but it will be much easier to launch from. If you will use it in salt water, I'd recommend getting a galvanized trailer. Their home office is in Spokane, WA. They won't have to custom build one. They can be adjusted to fit your boat.

http://www.ezloader.com/

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2016 :  13:26:46  Show Profile

That really is one BIG,LONG launch ramp!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2016 :  13:35:14  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
Luckily thanks to 'bladeswell' and a 1000+ mile round trip to the Mojave desert I am personally no longer in the market for a trailer. Woohoo!

It's definitely a "fresh water" trailer as it is built (dare I say overbuilt) of structural steel but it is a *beast*. Salt water on this boy is going to have to be a serious wash down session. But, being non-galvanized is actually nice for me as I'm going to do a little welding to it for a winch and a couple other things (galvanized + welder = not good for respiratory system).

Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2016 :  17:24:10  Show Profile
Congratulations with your "new to you", trailer...

You may wish to consider, after the welding is done, to use a cold galvanizing compound available in one liter cans (one quart) as well as spray bottles.

The compound can be brushed on black steel and over top of cleaned rusted steel. The material inhibits 93% self sacrificing zinc. The trailer will be well protected against rust even in salt water if it has structural open beams.

A trailer for our size of boat will require about two one liter cans and several spray bottles to be used in hard to reach areas.

Your trailer will look "as new", even after years of use including in salt water it will function and look as if it was hot dipped galvanized. Areas around bolt holes, connections and scrapes can easily be sprayed with the new coating and totally blends in

Cost for coating the entire trailer based on two one liter (1 quart) cans and approximately 4-6 spray bottles will be about $200

Steel fence builders, outdoor structural builders, welders, welder shops and welder suppliers use and sell this material.

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Edited by - zeil on 11/12/2016 17:30:21
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2016 :  15:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

I bought an EZ Loader trailer with my C25, and couldn't have been more pleased with it...

Thanks for the lead, Steve; have sent them an email, so we'll see what they say.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 11/14/2016 :  12:19:40  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by zeil
You may wish to consider, after the welding is done, to use a cold galvanizing compound available in one liter cans (one quart) as well as spray bottles.

I may have to do that. I was thinking Rustoleum, but I bet this affords much more protection. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2016 :  07:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Well, back to square one.

I contacted EZ Loader and got back this response:

"Hi, we havent made sailboat trailers since the 80's, so Im not going to be of much help to you. It may fit a generic adjustable trailer, like the drawing attached, but we have no experience with your boat."

So it still looks like it'll have to be a custom-made job.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2016 :  11:53:07  Show Profile
Lee check with Catalina Direct. They use to have a local supplier name HDL that made sailboat trailers for their customers, but that company name was changed and they may have gone put of business now. There also used to be a marine salvage place near CD old store and our club members would search their trailer yard for drop axle power boat trailers, modify the upright to fit C22 and C25's. If you do a modification, be sure the trailer can legally handle the C25 weight. You might also check with the WD Schock Mfg. in CA as their trailers are very adaptable to the C25.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2016 :  21:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Thanks, Lynn. I'd never heard of WD Schock, but I've certainly heard of some of the boats they make. And Catalina Direct seems like a solid possibility for a referral to someone who could build a trailer for a Catalina. I've sent emails to both firms, and I'm keepin' my fingers crossed!

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2016 :  05:30:37  Show Profile
Why not call Catalina Yachts in Woodland hills. They could possibly help with a trailer or their supplier.

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2016 :  10:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello all,

Umm....Catalina Yachts hasn't been in Woodland Hills, Ca. for many years. They relocated to Florida. So back to searching the west for trailer sources. Best of luck.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2016 :  10:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Back again,

Correction, Sorry Scott you were right. Catalina's corporate offices remain in Woodland Hills. They just do all manufacturing of boats in Florida now. From the Catalina web site, I called the Woodland Hills number and spoke with their receptionist. For anyone interested, they take orders for upholstery there. Though I would guess not cheap and probably stock fabrics. But that is just a guess. Again, Sorry Scott.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2016 :  12:12:17  Show Profile
True that they moved manufacturing to Fla. But I thought maybe somebody there might know the trailer manufacture that they did use when they were producing boats in Calif.. Maybe a call to Fla. might give you that info. Its hard to believe that nobody on the west coast makes sailboat trailers for a C25. This is a state that its entire west coast is water. Baffling.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2016 :  12:38:44  Show Profile
There's no special art involved in building a simple fixed bunk trailer for a sailboat. We have had members who built a trailer or modified a trailer to carry a sailboat using measurements that they obtained here. Here's a link to dimensions for a cradle. http://catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/tt011.asp If you want more support, you could attach planks between the uprights, and then add another pair of supports in the middle. If you have a cradle, you can carry a sailboat on a lowboy trailer by simply mounting the cradle on the trailer. That's not to say anyone can do it. But, certainly anyone who builds trailers for sale ought to be able to build one to carry a sailboat.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 11/18/2016 :  12:39:19  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Here's a link to dimensions for a cradle. http://catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/tt011.asp

I was looking at the cradle dimensions and had a little bit of an idea...

It appears that in relation to the cradle the only difference between a fixed keel and a retractable keel Catalina 25 is the height of the pads. Is this correct?

Reason being is I often see Catalina 25's on Craigslist sans trailers where it appears the seller just wants to get out of the slip fees and more often than not I see the SK rather than the FK. My new to me bunk trailer is built for an FK. But, I was thinking "hmm... if I were to replace bunks, etc. with adjustable pads I could haul SKs!"

Am I correct in the deduction that the only difference between an FK and SK trailer would be the height of the supports?

Also, does the SK sit on the retracted keel when on the trailer? (more of a curiosity question than anything.)

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2016 :  11:03:29  Show Profile
quote:

It appears that in relation to the cradle the only difference between a fixed keel and a retractable keel Catalina 25 is the height of the pads. Is this correct?

Yes.

quote:

Am I correct in the deduction that the only difference between an FK and SK trailer would be the height of the supports?

Yes. I think you might need/want a longer tongue on a trailer for a FK so that you can get the trailer deeper in the water for launching/retrieving.

quote:

Also, does the SK sit on the retracted keel when on the trailer? (more of a curiosity question than anything.)

No. The SK is lowered onto the trailer. The hull is not designed to rest on the keel.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page