Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Head flush pump
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/06/2016 :  15:10:11  Show Profile
Enchantment II is a 1982 TR. It has a Wilcox Crittendon-Headmate toilet. It used to pump flush. It has been on the hard for past six months and not used. I have tried pumping and I am not getting any results? I do not know the model number. Yes I have water in the tank. Does the pump need to be primed? Or does it require replacement parts? Where do you suggest I get the needed part? Thanks for your input.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2016 :  16:26:54  Show Profile
Try priming the pump by dumping water into the bowl then pumping it. When was the last time the pump was lubricated. It should be done each season with Teflon grease. Have the valves and seals ever been replaced? If not then they are probably not sealing anymore and need replacing with a rebuild kit found online or a marine store.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/06/2016 17:51:02
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2016 :  10:50:24  Show Profile
Thanks Scott, I will try your suggestions.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2016 :  11:20:13  Show Profile
I found some directions for a WC Head-Mate, Might not be your exact model but all heads work on the same principals. If you look at "Operation" They suggest to put water in the bowl to prime it if the system is totally dry.http://www.chessie.com/boat/documents/Head-Mate.WC.pdf If that doesn't work then its probably the joker valve is dry and hard and not sealing anymore so its probably on to plan B that is a rebuild kit.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/07/2016 11:24:05
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2016 :  13:12:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Enchantment II

Enchantment II is a 1982 TR. It has a Wilcox Crittendon-Headmate toilet. It used to pump flush. It has been on the hard for past six months and not used. I have tried pumping and I am not getting any results? I do not know the model number. Yes I have water in the tank. Does the pump need to be primed? Or does it require replacement parts? Where do you suggest I get the needed part? Thanks for your input.

Joe, you said you have water in the tank...does the head have it's own fresh water tank? Or, are you using the potable water tank to flush? Most boats do not use the potable water tank, they have a thru-hull to pull water from outside the boat. If this is the case, have you checked for a thru-hull to make sure it's open? Either way, it might be rebuild time anyway. Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2016 :  17:56:29  Show Profile
Ditto on everything noted. If the unit has been sitting for a while it's very likely the rubber seals and joker valve are dry and will not seal well. I suggest pouring mineral oil both into the bowl and directly into the pump to lubricate the seals. You will have to look at the manual but on a Jabsco there only 4 crews to remove. We had a similar problem at one point and this resolved the issue. Good luck.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2016 :  19:35:45  Show Profile
My jabsco all af a sudden quit pumping. There was liquid in the bowl and the tank. My wife suggested using a plunger, ya ok. It worked perfectly. I plunged and pumped at the same time and it did the trick.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page