Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Safety Harness and Jack Lines
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/21/2016 :  20:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone uses safety harnesses and Jack Lines off shore. And if so, where and how did you anchor the jack lines ? I was thinking maybe the shroud plate upgrade available from CD, 3 of them. One forward between the forward hatch and the solar fan. Then two at the aft end of the pop top, all three with beefed up backing plates. Also, I would add 4 more hatch dogs to the pop top. Then I would attach heavy clevis pins to the shroud eye and attach a stainless steel carabiner with screw closer for the Web jack line. Does this sound workable to you guys ? Thanks for your input.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2016 :  20:59:59  Show Profile
I attach jacklines to the bow cleats on both sides of the boat and lead them aft and attach the other ends to the stern cleats whenever I'm singlehanding in an isolated area. I attach a tether from my inflatable pfd with safety harness to the windward jackline when I leave the cockpit. The objective, of course, is to prevent the boat from sailing away while you're treading water. When you're alone, all it takes is a lurch of the boat and a brief loss of balance.

When it's really rough, I won't let my crew go forward without some kind of tether, even if they don't have a proper harness and it's only a safety line tied around their waist. They need something to prevent them from being separated from the boat. Sometimes it gets so rough that you might not be able to maneuver the boat back to a MOB.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Tahoe Cruiser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2016 :  21:28:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

I attach jacklines to the bow cleats on both sides of the boat and lead them aft and attach the other ends to the stern cleats whenever I'm singlehanding in an isolated area. I attach a tether from my inflatable pfd with safety harness to the windward jackline when I leave the cockpit. The objective, of course, is to prevent the boat from sailing away while you're treading water. When you're alone, all it takes is a lurch of the boat and a brief loss of balance.

When it's really rough, I won't let my crew go forward without some kind of tether, even if they don't have a proper harness and it's only a safety line tied around their waist. They need something to prevent them from being separated from the boat. Sometimes it gets so rough that you might not be able to maneuver the boat back to a MOB.

This is the easiest way to set up jack lines and pretty bomber. I have a few Rigger's Belts from military days that make for quick attachment points to your body. https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-41CQ00-CQB-Riggers-Belt/dp/B004T162YY Two self locking carbinner with a length of 1" webbing for a tether and you are good to go. The more complicated you make things the less likely you will be to set up and use it.

1998 250 WK/TR #355 "Trail Break"
Lake Tahoe California
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  12:01:22  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Back Again,

Okay, thanks guys. Wow Steve, it just didn't occur to me to use the docking cleats. I need to pay more attention to the KISS rule. Keep it simple stupid. So that should save me some bucks in hardware. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2016 :  12:44:06  Show Profile
Strongly recommend an easily releasable snap shackle at the user end of the tether. There are a couple of situations where it could be important to quickly release yourself from the boat.

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2016 :  16:14:42  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

I was looking at the tether available from WM. Does that look like it should be suitable. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2016 :  09:52:27  Show Profile
WM sells different types of tethers. One with snap shackle releases, the other with a loop you tie on with a cow hitch. which means you need a knife to get away from it in a hurry. That seems needlessly complicated and potentially hazardous to me.

Either way, the Wing Nut tragedy on Lake Michigan in 2011 made a strong case for having a quick and simple way to release a tether. A high speed tow in an overboard situation is another.

As a sidenote; when I was doing lot of offshore sailing a few years ago, I had a rule that anyone on watch at night had to have a tether attached to a U-bolt that I had installed in the cockpiit. Given the length of the tethers, there was no way for them to go overboard regardless of the weather. It was a bit restrictive, but very reassuring - for everyone.

WM Advisor has a good discussion on tethers and harnesses at: http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Safety-Harnesses-Tethers-and-Jacklines.

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page