Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast Gate
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slim
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/13/2016 :  14:24:45  Show Profile
I just installed slugs on my main sail and realized that i would need to have a mast gate if i didn't want my new slugs to fall out when i dropped my sail. Looking around i found a few articles on making one and thought about it for a few days. I felt that there must be a simpler way of accomplishing this modification than what i was finding on the net and decided that black plastic pipe might be the answer. I measured the circumference of the front on my mast and found that a 3 inch pipe cut in half lengthwise would fit the curve of my mast perfectly. Luck i had a piece of that pipe from a job i had done just laying around out back and all i needed was 7 to 9 inches to make my gate. I have downloaded the finished gate photo and i think it all worked out well took less than an hour to make and install and cost nothing!! You just can't do any better than that.

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2016 :  16:03:19  Show Profile
Very slick Stephen and thanks for sharing. How did you achieve the sharp bend into the mast slot?

Maybe the next time you take one of the gates off - you could share a pix.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2016 :  18:16:47  Show Profile
OJ

The bend is done with a vise and small heat source such as a solder torch, Just be careful not to over heat the plastic. You will have two sets of gates from this one piece of pipe so you might want to practice this on your spare set first.

Edited by - slim on 09/13/2016 18:19:54
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2016 :  18:29:38  Show Profile
Where there's a will, There's a way. Nice fabricating.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  19:08:54  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again,

Well of course you came up with a great and inexpensive mast gate solution. Two weeks after I ponied up the $43 to CD for their mast gate. But isn't that always what happens after you buy something. The next day or soon after,you find it for less. LOL. Anyway, great job.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  19:29:15  Show Profile
Maybe so Bladeswell but at least your boat is in the water were as mine is still sitting on the trailer. Thanks for the comment, I am glade to see you're doing so well with your boat. Maybe this winter i will get a splash date also I hope.

Slim

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2016 :  20:08:57  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again,

Keep up the good work. In some areas I think you are further along than I am. My boat was on the trailer for a year before I put her in the water and I still have a lot of work to do. Best of luck with your launch date.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

cudamank
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2016 :  15:58:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slim

I just installed slugs on my main sail and realized that i would need to have a mast gate if i didn't want my new slugs to fall out when i dropped my sail. Looking around i found a few articles on making one and thought about it for a few days. I felt that there must be a simpler way of accomplishing this modification than what i was finding on the net and decided that black plastic pipe might be the answer. I measured the circumference of the front on my mast and found that a 3 inch pipe cut in half lengthwise would fit the curve of my mast perfectly. Luck i had a piece of that pipe from a job i had done just laying around out back and all i needed was 7 to 9 inches to make my gate. I have downloaded the finished gate photo and i think it all worked out well took less than an hour to make and install and cost nothing!! You just can't do any better than that.

Great idea. Was that a 6" diameter pipe you used?

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page