Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bilge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Escape
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/30/2016 :  09:24:00  Show Profile
Hi all, I am setting up my 20 yr old Catalina 250. I am planning on putting a bilge pump in as Escape will set at a dock and be unattended from time to time. I have found two likely places to put the pump, one in the aft birth where there is an inspection port with a thru hull and valve for I think the head. The second is under the forward v birth and has the speed and depth transmitters in a small trough. So if water enters the boat through the companion way where is the water like to end up. Forward or aft or both? Thanks for your help in advance. Dave

SF Bay Sailor

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2016 :  14:13:52  Show Profile
Any water entering the boat is going to seek the lowest spot in the boat to accumulate. That will probably not be under the V-berth.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2016 :  22:01:08  Show Profile
Mine accumulates in the center of the boat on both sides of the swing keel cavity. Very little in aft section and almost never under the v birth.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Escape
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2016 :  07:46:02  Show Profile
Wes, yup, it is pooling under the aft birth, I found the manual bilge pump hose back there too which solved another mystery. I hooked up the electric bilge pump and will be testing it today. Seems like she is taking on about a gallon to 1.5 gallons a day. I am still not 100% sure of the source but am betting on the thru hull in the bilge. My guess is I will be pulling her out for a visual inspection and replacing the thru hull valve. Thanks for your feed back and good sailing. Dave

SF Bay Sailor
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2016 :  15:42:02  Show Profile
Good call. If it isn't raining and the water is accumulating it has to be coming in somewhere below the waterline. You could draw a chalk circle around the thru hI'll and check back later.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/05/2016 :  18:08:01  Show Profile
A gallon-plus a day is not good, especially if it's coming from below rather than above the waterline. A bilge pump could control it--if it isn't dependent on a battery that could run out or the problem doesn't get worse, but this is a signal of a problem that could get a lot worse at a very inauspicious time. Is yours the water-ballast with centerboard, or the wing keel?

A particular thru-hull, seacock, or hose can be identified fairly easily. If there isn't something obvious, I might pull the boat, put some water in the bilge, and see where it runs out.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Escape
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2016 :  06:57:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

A gallon-plus a day is not good, especially if it's coming from below rather than above the waterline. A bilge pump could control it--if it isn't dependent on a battery that could run out or the problem doesn't get worse, but this is a signal of a problem that could get a lot worse at a very inauspicious time. Is yours the water-ballast with centerboard, or the wing keel?

A particular thru-hull, seacock, or hose can be identified fairly easily. If there isn't something obvious, I might pull the boat, put some water in the bilge, and see where it runs out.

SF Bay Sailor
Go to Top of Page

Escape
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2016 :  07:01:37  Show Profile
David, Mystic ha, is Abbot's in the Rough still there?

Looks like to rate of leakage is slowing down. Could be the thru-haul packing is rehydrating after sitting on a trailer for years. I have invested in a bilge pump, 900 gph, which I will install today. I am also going to put in a trickle charger but mostly keep a close eye on it. I want to trial her a couple of time to find other under sail problems, then pull her. And she is the WB swing keel version. Thanks for your help, Dave

SF Bay Sailor
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page