Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Compass challenges and a mystery
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sfsmith
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/11/2016 :  15:26:24  Show Profile
The compass mounted in the starboard cockpit bulkhead of my boat has leaked for years. I've refilled it with fluid a few times — an ordeal each time — but it seemed like each time it leaked a bit faster. A dime-sized air bubble became a silver-dollar-sized bubble over a period of a month. I tried putting teflon tape around the brass screw that seals the unit, but that only wicked the fluid out faster.

Yesterday, in desperation, I refilled the compass and sealed the hole with hot-melt glue. Yes, I know the fluid is flammable, but I was careful to not let the heated tip of the glue gun contact any fluid, I had a fan running to disperse any fumes and the heat is low enough not to cause ignition, anyway. I put the compass out in the sun for several hours to see if heat would cause the seal to leak. No leaks. But now I'm wondering how long the seal will last.

Here's the mystery: Right after sealing, testing and reinstalling the compass, there was the inevitable dime-sized bubble of air at the top. When I checked again today, the bubble was gone. Fearing that ALL the fluid had leaked out, I took the back off and checked, and the fluid level is full. No air bubble.

The compass is a good one: a Plastimo Contest 101, two-sided, vintage 1989.

Comments? Advice?

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2016 :  16:21:51  Show Profile
I looked around the web on rebuilding compasses and it appears that you need a vacuum chamber to de-gas the oil. I doubt you have one so the little bubble could be from the air in the oil working its way out.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2016 :  16:38:55  Show Profile
Another thought ruling out a leak is that the bubble might come and go. When the compass is cool and it of the sun the bubble will appear but out in the sun or warmer daytime temps the pressure inside the compass builds forcing the bubble of air back into the oil and it disappears.

Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2016 :  08:15:14  Show Profile
I hadn't thought of air bubbles being absorbed and released by the compass fluid, but that could be it. I'll keep an eye on it, anyway, since I'm mostly concerned that the fluid could leak onto the cushions in the quarterbirth. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the hot-melt glue holds. Thanks, Scott.

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2016 :  08:45:26  Show Profile
A friend rebuilt his compass, including installing a new seal, cleaning a cloudy residue that was on the inside of the globe, and refilling it with fluid. He said he learned that you should put the fluid in the freezer before you put it in the compass. His is bubble-free after two years. As I recall, he said there was a small bubble when he first completed the job, but it vanished soon after. I've never done it, and am just reporting what he told me.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2016 :  09:24:09  Show Profile
Even freezing the compass and the fluid, I was never able to completely eliminate the bubble. I used epoxy to seal the screw, so I'm not going to get a second chance to fix it. If it leaks again, I'll have to replace it. After the fact I had the idea to submerge the entire compass in the fluid and roll it around to get all the air out.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering

Edited by - JB on 08/12/2016 09:25:24
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2016 :  09:37:07  Show Profile
The problem I ran into is that the acrylic around the filler hole had cracked, and a couple of small pieces came off. So using a screw wasn't an option. I saw the use of hot-melt glue as a final solution, but epoxy might be even better. The glue is a form of plastic, so my hope is that it bonded permanently to the acrylic. If not, I'll just bite the bullet and buy a new compass. Meanwhile, I can live with the mysterious vanishing bubble.

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2016 :  15:05:11  Show Profile
The fluid expands as it warms and should be filled warm. Filling it cold with no bubble could potentially cause a rupture. It is less likely with plastic globes, but repeated heating and cooling would contribute to brittling and stress fracture around screw holes.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2016 :  07:10:13  Show Profile
UPDATE: About a week later, and the fluid has drained down to the fill hole. Which, for reasons I don't understand, is almost halfway down the side, instead of at the top. Luckily, I took the precaution of putting an old towel under the inside bulkhead, where the fluid drips down. Bullet bitten — new compass ordered.

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2016 :  08:19:08  Show Profile
Sometimes it's just easier to get new. You could still play with the old one. Any way of redrilling out the fill hole to a larger size to get past the cracks?

Edited by - islander on 08/22/2016 08:23:01
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2016 :  06:39:34  Show Profile
I think it's a goner, Scott. There are bits of acrylic and some particles of black stuff inside, and I don't know how I'd get that out.

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2016 :  07:58:44  Show Profile
Same happened to me on my original Suunto compass that came with my Laser Precision Zuma dinghy. It was color-coordinated with the boat - fluorescent orange and lime green. I left the boat in my shed in freezing weather and the compass seal failed. I tried to find someone to replace the fluid and seal but the cost was more than a replacement.
Problem was that the manufacturer custom built those compasses only as a limited run for that boat so I could not practically replace it with a similar model.
I eventually found a very vanilla black and white value-priced compass and had to accept it. I still kept the original piece, maybe someday I'll find a handy compass fixit kit! ;-)

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page