Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Baffled on Pigtail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/07/2016 :  19:32:23  Show Profile
I know I should be able to remember but its been two years since my boat was in the water. I had the mast stepped down and now after restepping my pigtail is gone. Where did it attach to the backstay. What are the connections on either side usually. Is it easy to replace. can I get a few pics? Thanks

Here a pic in the water, swing keel cable replaced and ready to go.

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2016 :  08:54:11  Show Profile
Don't know how you could loose it but CD doesn't sell them anymore so you will have to make one or have a rigging shop make one for you then attach it with a crimp sleeve or a wire clamp. As to where to attach it, Straight up from the boom end casting makes sense.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 08/08/2016 09:08:05
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2016 :  10:07:20  Show Profile
It would have been crimped onto your backstay above the split and above the end of your boom. If you have a topping lift, forget about the pigtail! You won't need it anymore.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 08/08/2016 10:08:11
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2016 :  16:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi again,

Personally, sense its off or gone already I would use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a real topping lift. Easy to do and not very expensive. But in the mean time you can just tie some 1/4" line above your split ring and lead it to your boom end. Wont be very convenient but it will give you a temporary fix.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2016 :  19:26:03  Show Profile
a pig tail holds the boom up AND keeps the boom centered to the boat. a topping lift will only keep the boom up. I prefer both especially when your on anchor and the wind is blowing 40.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2016 :  04:03:19  Show Profile
Lynn, I have both and for parking the boom I use the pig tail. As you said it keeps the boom from swinging left and right a lot less than the topping lift does.

Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2016 :  05:38:39  Show Profile
topping lift, and mainsheet: sorted.

The pigtail I see as opportunity to forget when hoisting the mainsail, which can lead to issues with no means of easing pressure on the mainsail. I do not have a pigtail on the current boat, and don't miss it. Parking the boom involves setting the topping lift, adjusting the mainsheet car to the "far" end, and snugging up the mainsheet. That said, I did use the pigtail on my C25 even with a topping lift, becasue it was there.

s/v No Worries, O'Day 28
PO Moe'Uhane - C25 SR/FK #1746
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2016 :  06:06:26  Show Profile
Another advantage of the pig tail is when at anchor you can disconnect the mainsheet from the boom end to get it out of the way without having to tie the boom down. Without the pig tail it would have to be tied off somewhere.to keep the boom from swinging. As to forgetting to unhook it I have to say that I have never done that. It's just routine and you should be loosening the mainsheet before raising the sail. When you go to loosen the mainsheet you would notice that the boom was still hooked to the pig tail.

Edited by - islander on 08/10/2016 06:14:43
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2016 :  07:46:11  Show Profile
I have forgotten to release the pigtail a few times but haven't found it especially difficult to lift the boom and release it, although it is somewhat stressful and preceded by expletives.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2016 :  18:38:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

I have forgotten to release the pigtail a few times but haven't found it especially difficult to lift the boom and release it, although it is somewhat stressful and preceded by expletives.

I agree, the 1st year I owned the boat I probably did it 3 or 4 times while single-handed (I don't learn very quick ). At least twice it was blowing above 10 knots and the boat fell off to one side.

Stood up on the seats, centered the boom, and un-clipped with the other hand. It was stressful but really not that difficult.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page