Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Performance on port and starboard tacks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tpothen
Deckhand

Member Avatar

17 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/07/2016 :  07:32:59  Show Profile  Visit tpothen's Homepage
Has anyone noticed a performance difference between their port and starboard tacks?

I had a good 30 mile out and back sail yesterday with 10 to 15 knot winds, full main, and a 155 genny on a beam reach both ways. I noticed that I'd get a good knot faster speed on a starboard tack over a port tack.

"Myasis Dragon" 77' C25/SR/SK/Din.
www.svmyasisdragon.com

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  08:22:50  Show Profile
There are several variables potentially in play here, I believe.

Sail trim, true wind heading (10 deg off beam would be hardly noticeable on a windex, but would add up to a 20 deg difference on the two courses), current, slight differences in wind speeds as the day progressed, and....rig balance.

If all other variables were truly constant, I would suggest your mast is not tuned "equally" on port and starboard. Check the shroud tensions and see what you think. If they appear to be different, make 'em match. :). Specifically, which tack was fastest? If boom was over port (starboard tack), then the starboard shrouds are "in play" and should be used as your standard. Adjust port to match starboard.

Now, gotta mow the yard so I can go sailing!

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  08:24:40  Show Profile
Or perhaps you have better wax on the port side. ;)

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  09:09:45  Show Profile
Are you genoa sheet cars set the same on both sides? Traveler either centered or positioned the same on both tacks? Mast vertical at rest, or tipped slightly to starboard (so more upright on starboard tack and more tipped on port)? Sailing to the same apparent wind angle on both tacks? Leeward shrouds slack to the same degree on each tack? Same helm pressure (weather helm) on both tacks?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/07/2016 09:13:36
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  09:18:18  Show Profile
whenever we had this problem on TSU we just looked up the mast track and there was always a slight "hook" at the masthead.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  18:49:12  Show Profile
If the boat is tuned evenly and correctly, and sail trim, wind and water conditions are the same for both tacks, then there could be one other thing that could affect boat speed performance from one tack to another. That would be weight placement or balance caused by motor weight, fuel weight, inside stores placement (beer & food), and crew and skipper placement. I race a Santana 20 and C22 and this last reason is much more noticeable than on my chunky C25 cruiser but I can still feel it.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2016 :  05:11:47  Show Profile
My boat is the same but not as much difference. I rig mine with a gage and get all set to specs that I think are correct. I have always assumed it was the placement of the speed wheel in relation to the keel. Or possibly the windex is not perfectly centered. My speed wheel very rarely matches the GPS speed.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

tpothen
Deckhand

Members Avatar

17 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2016 :  05:20:08  Show Profile  Visit tpothen's Homepage
Thanks all. I'll look at the mast tuning, I know the mast is level at rest but possibly the standing rigging isn't tensioned evenly. The boat is definitely faster on a starboard tack (boom to the port side) and I can sail closer to the wind on this tack.

"Myasis Dragon" 77' C25/SR/SK/Din.
www.svmyasisdragon.com
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2016 :  03:58:19  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Just considering my own situation and how I view port vs starboard tacking, I have not noticed that every time I go out that it is always the same tack being better then the other. The two factors that seem to influence performance on tacks in my neck of the woods the most have to do mostly with wind/wavelet direction and tidal current flow/direction relative to tacking on the Potomac River.

Then I was thinking as to what could to a very small or even micro degree effect tacking performance - Possibly if a furling rig head sail was not fully out - The sail area closest to the stay will be slightly less on one tack vs the other depending on which way the furler rotates. Placement of weight onboard may have an effect. I would consider anything that disturbs the flow past the hull having an effect on performance:
1) Small effect - If slime grows more on one side of the boat versus the other based on sun/shade side in the finger slip.
2) Micro effect - Number and size of below waterline penetrations on port vs starboard sides of the hull that could interfere with the slipstream (ie. seacocks, knotmeter paddlewheel).

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2016 :  04:03:01  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
it seems like my boat is closer to the wind on one tack, but my windex indicator arms are twisted slightly. if i followed the vanes, I'd be higher on one tack than the other, with a corresponding speed increase. I've learned where to put the windvane in relation to the indicators on each tack.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2016 :  19:19:23  Show Profile
all good considerations. another that was not mentioned is the Mfg. does not make the keels symmetrical on each side because they are made in molds. one side is flatter than the other side making it easier to point higher. just ask any c22 or c25 racer and they will tell you keel shape can make a big difference in performance.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2016 :  05:13:47  Show Profile
Rig tuning, rig tuning, rig tuning. Really does make a huge difference with the balance of the boat.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page