Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Teak
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sailorgal
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/05/2016 :  16:55:16  Show Profile
Hatch is checked off the list...a boat wright in our shipyard adapted a hatch he had...works great! We will need a weatherboard now...will order from Catalina Direct....we are debating doing the bright work ourselves v.s. Getting new pieces...grab rails, companionway teak trim, etc....there are some deep grooves in that wood! How do you all make that call? It's a Catalina 25 1984....after All!
Thanks, K

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2016 :  19:35:29  Show Profile
I can make this suggestion. Remove the brightwork and sand off the crust. You should then find some decent wood under there. Also save some of the clean sawdust - you can use it with wood glue to fill in gaps and defects in the finish.
Or... You could buy new teak, but when you get ready to throw out the old pieces, ask yourself are they really trash?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2016 :  07:24:10  Show Profile
I agree with Bruce, I think you will be amazed at how well the teak looks after a little cleaner/brightener, A little sanding and a few coats of varnish. I wouldn't remove any pieces, To time consuming. It takes less time to tape it off. Keep in mind it's a boat that is outdoors and not your indoor furniture. Follow the ten foot rule. If it looks great from ten feet away then go sailing!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2016 :  09:24:04  Show Profile
Hah! 10 foot rule. I love it!

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2016 :  09:50:33  Show Profile
...and the "It's a boat for _____ sake!" rule.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  07:40:45  Show Profile
I have a 1980, that had ben badly neglected for @10 years prior to me, and the teak never had varnish. That said, teak is a very forgiving wood and as stated, when cleaned and brightened using various scrub brushes and even a bronze-wire brush, the teak will sparkle. I use teak oil (no varnish) and every year scrub with a light brush, let dry and then apply teak oil and the wood still looks great (great based on the 20ft rule, really, really good when closer). If you choose to varnish, clean and prep well, apply the many coats of varnish (or sealer and varnish) and the teak will look "new" . . . . and be much smoother that you may think possible.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  09:22:13  Show Profile
A lady who detailed boats for a living on the Gulf Coast told me, that in a marine environment Cetol will last longer and look better over time than varnish. If she was asked to use varnish it cost twice as much and she applied 14 coats!

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  09:36:22  Show Profile
The advantage with Cetol, in my experience, is ease of maintenance. You can easily touch up worn areas and add dress coats with just some light sanding. Varnish becomes a problem when it (eventually) cracks and peels--the only real solution is to remove it entirely and start over.

Another option some friends of mine use is Semco, a "sealer" that adds less color and looks more like unfinished teak, but resists the mildew that makes black streaks in teak. They've been happy with it for some 20 years.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  11:31:58  Show Profile
14coats really isn't that much. Walk around any marina and ask the guy with the shiny wood transom how many coats of varnish he has on and he will likely say upwards of. 30.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Sailorgal
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  15:08:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

I can make this suggestion. Remove the brightwork and sand off the crust. You should then find some decent wood under there. Also save some of the clean sawdust - you can use it with wood glue to fill in gaps and defects in the finish.
Or... You could buy new teak, but when you get ready to throw out the old pieces, ask yourself are they really trash?

Good point Voyager! I'd say no....
Go to Top of Page

Sailorgal
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  15:10:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

I agree with Bruce, I think you will be amazed at how well the teak looks after a little cleaner/brightener, A little sanding and a few coats of varnish. I wouldn't remove any pieces, To time consuming. It takes less time to tape it off. Keep in mind it's a boat that is outdoors and not your indoor furniture. Follow the ten foot rule. If it looks great from ten feet away then go sailing!

Ok, I'm convinced...ill put the cleaner to it and the palm sander and then cetol....it does look good.....
K
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2016 :  06:40:44  Show Profile
If you chose to leave the teak in the boat, be careful with teak cleaner and brightener solutions. I've seen permanent run marks on the aluminum port light trim rings where the cleaner ran down the sides of the cabin top.
Post pix too!

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2016 :  10:02:48  Show Profile
Or...get use to the grey and just go sailing

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL

Edited by - TCurran on 08/08/2016 10:03:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page