Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Has anyone replaced halyards with the mast up ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SKS
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/19/2016 :  18:18:52  Show Profile
Both my main and jib halyard are fairly used.
I want to replace them.
I have the all rope halyards mounted internal to the mast.
I was thinking of sewing the end of the new halyard to the old one and just pulling it through.
Seems like a simple technique, I was wondering if it is really as simple as it sounds.
Thoughts anyone ?

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2016 :  18:28:42  Show Profile
Simple in principle . . . sewing end-to-end is pretty surefire. I'd be reluctant to use tape because of the increasing amount of weight as you pull the new halyard up the mast.

Beware of wires that go to the steaming light (perhaps you have a conduit) + the hardware that connects to the spreaders.

What diameter lines are you running?

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 07/19/2016 18:29:37
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2016 :  18:36:27  Show Profile
That's the way to do it. If you need to measure the old line, you can first sew a cheap messenger line to it, pull it through and measure the old line.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2016 :  18:52:26  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Interesting timing; I'll be doing just that this weekend.

I'm planning on doing a simple sewn sheath-within-sheath splice. Remove some core (maybe a foot or so) from both the existing halyard and the new one, and then pull (with a fid) the core-less sheath from the new halyard inside the empty space in the end of the existing one (so the exposed yarn-ends on the outside will be following through the sheaves instead of snagging), and then drop a few stitches of siezing twine through the overlapping sheaths. I'm not intending to use tape, but a turn or two of twine just above the yarn-ends should prevent them from unraveling. Should just take a few minutes to set up. Like OJ says: "Simple in principle."

So, if you want to wait 'till next week I'll let you know if practice matches principle.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2016 :  14:32:24  Show Profile
I always butt stitch the lines together with serious thread.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 07/21/2016 14:42:58
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2016 :  07:24:08  Show Profile
I'm with Frank. No need to do any fancy splicing. Just butt-sew and then put a small piece of tape over the stitching to reduce the diameter a little. And pull gently!

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2016 :  07:33:39  Show Profile
The sew and tape is exactly the way I have done it through the years, including the measurement like Steve suggested.

Chuck Shaw
Confetti
Cat 25, hull#1
1976 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2016 :  07:52:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

I always butt stitch the lines together with serious thread.

Butt stitch . . . I will add that one to my nautical vocabulary. Is that similar to the Bobbitt weave?

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2016 :  18:59:49  Show Profile
I have used the 'butt stitch' method in the past, as this is an easy pull, and it has always worked well....BUT....I really like the concept of cutting out the core and overlapping the old external jacket over the new, with a few security stitches...kinda like the basket grips for pulling electrical wiring - would totally do that when replacing the halyard on the roller furling.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2016 :  21:26:13  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
OK, Steve; the new halyard pulled through very easily. I'd say the splice wasn't really necessary, but I didn't want to take the chance. I have a lot of lines and cables in my mast, and I didn't want to take any chance on losing an end in there. I was particularly concerned about the connection making it through the sheaves on top. The splice took seven minutes, and nearly half of that time was the stitching. I would imagine the sewn butt-splice would take at least as long as I spent on the lock stitches and the minimal whipping, so the sheath-within-sheath splice added less than five minutes. Five minutes for the piece of mind that nothing could go wrong. By the way, the splice also went through the exit plates and the clutch without any noticeable resistance. So Steve, go for it! Simple in principle, simple in practice.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2016 :  14:45:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Panza

Interesting timing; I'll be doing just that this weekend.

I'm planning on doing a simple sewn sheath-within-sheath splice. Remove some core (maybe a foot or so) from both the existing halyard and the new one, and then pull (with a fid) the core-less sheath from the new halyard inside the empty space in the end of the existing one (so the exposed yarn-ends on the outside will be following through the sheaves instead of snagging), and then drop a few stitches of siezing twine through the overlapping sheaths. I'm not intending to use tape, but a turn or two of twine just above the yarn-ends should prevent them from unraveling. Should just take a few minutes to set up. Like OJ says: "Simple in principle."

So, if you want to wait 'till next week I'll let you know if practice matches principle.

I tried the rest, this worked the best.
Took the core out for a foot or so on each rope to guide around the turns.
Nice technique, with little loss of the replaced rope.
Unfortunately, this whole procedure took better than an hour. I tried a couple of different butt splice techniques before removing the core. otherwise it would have taken about 15 minutes or less.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

Edited by - SKS on 07/27/2016 17:11:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page