Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 cruddy old stove
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rbpc25
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/13/2016 :  15:46:17  Show Profile
any hope for this thing?

disssemble and soak in something?

in what, excatly?

thanks for any suggestions,

Rolf in MA

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2016 :  16:26:00  Show Profile
That looks like a lot of work for something that won't look all that good when finished and will never cook well. Alcohol is better for drinking than cooking for most people.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2016 :  16:54:23  Show Profile
Disassemble and soak it in water
Preferably at the bottom of the ocean.
Then get one of those butane stoves.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

Edited by - SKS on 07/13/2016 16:55:25
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2016 :  10:56:13  Show Profile
ha! messages received :)

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2016 :  17:15:07  Show Profile
Sell it on eBay. As WC Fields once said, "there's a sucker born every minute!"

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2016 :  18:19:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

That looks like a lot of work for something that won't look all that good when finished and will never cook well. Alcohol is better for drinking than cooking for most people.

And disinfecting...

Also used for centuries for anxiety, sleep, and preventing fat oxidation and death in diabetics before the advent of injectable insulin.

More recently used for delayed gastric emptying=blood glucose level buffering, possibly dehydration=lower blood pressure in hypertensives, and weight loss by carbohydrate restriction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVwR0rw5fk

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 07/14/2016 18:23:13
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2016 :  06:48:13  Show Profile
There's a reason that stove is called "The Curtain Burner" among sailors...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2016 :  07:00:21  Show Profile
is there a swap-in butane stove that fits?

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
75 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2016 :  07:27:08  Show Profile
Yup,

Target has a cute little Coleman 1-burner butane stove for $17.99 that fits nicely in place of the old Seaward. Replaced our "curtain-burner"with one. Admiral loves it.

Al and Bernadette, "Pualani Nui", '82 C25 SR/SK, homeport MCB Quantico
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2016 :  07:28:48  Show Profile
Many folks have picked up one of these portable burners (with cases)--they can easily be used in that space, in the cockpit, or in your house during a power failure, and stored out of the way (with the cannister removed). Mine is like the Coleman at top-left, but with a different brand name (Kenyon). If you want two burners, get two--they're practically free!

EDIT: I also found a pot-holder attachment for it--a small safety factor in case of a stray boat wake or whatever.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/15/2016 07:35:48
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2016 :  07:39:21  Show Profile
what is the advantage of butane over propane? they both sink, right?

seems like you could plumb a grill-style propane tank pretty easily into the 'dumpster', or better yet into the fuel tank compartment, so that any leaking gas sinks harmlessly out the bottom edges and handle recess

but propane seems cheaper (grab a tank at any RV place), with far more options for real 2-burner stoves

I also like alchohol b/c it floats (although a buddy tried to cook frozen burgers the other day on my 2-burner Origo and left a soot trail along all cabin surfaces)

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2016 :  08:23:42  Show Profile
Propane and butane are essentially the same gas except that butane loses its pressure more as temperatures drop. At around freezing, a butane stove might be just about useless, while propane will do a little better.

A properly plumbed in stove gets into some complications: The tank must be in a location (NEVER THE DUMPSTER) that does not allow for any leaking gas to flow into the cabin or bilge, where it will collect until it is ignited by so little as a flip of a switch somewhere--for example, an automatic bilge pump. ABYC standards (followed by Catalina in their factory installations of propane stoves in the C-250 and others) call for a thermocouple at the burner, which in the absence of heat, shuts off a valve at the tank. You could intall a stove without that, but you might have a problem with your insurance carrier in the event of a "problem."

I chose butane because I have never done a lot of cooking on board--it's great for coffee, some sausage and eggs, or heating something in a pot. Compared to alcohol, it "cooks like gas!" And my stove didn't (and doesn't) permanently take up my limited counter space. The cannisters are more expensive per pound, but they're very easy to store in safe places, and I just don't use much. YMMV, for sure. Due to some reports of exploding butane stoves, when I install the cannister before each use, I do a sniff test to satisfy myself the seal is good. Some might say that's an argument for a permanent, professional propane installation--maybe they're right. If I were a serious cruiser, my choice might be different.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/15/2016 08:26:41
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2016 :  08:40:44  Show Profile
cool - thanks Dave

and certainly the 'simple and cheap' factor is high with butane

I haven't found too many 'twin' butane stoves, ala the 2-burner Hillerange it's replacing - maybe that's overkill

I guess my preference would be one, strong, sturdy, marine-grade gimballed burner, with a deep well for really holding pots at sea

may be time to fabricate something...

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2016 :  16:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again,

You know, I have been seriously considering the Origo 3000 two burner stove for my boat. But I have read over and over again that both butane and propane are just far superior. WM has what looks like a very nice single burner for all of $35 bucks as opposed to $350 for the Origo. I think between that and a small microwave I will be just fine. Thanks again guys.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2016 :  19:46:45  Show Profile
We bought a 2-burner Origo for our C-25, and it worked OK. I can't bad-mouth it--it's probably the safest solution overall, compared to pressurized alcohol, propane, or butane. But it generates a lot of moisture, a little soot, and some smell in the cabin, and just doesn't cook like butane (which is like a gas stove at home).

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2016 :  19:55:45  Show Profile
sounds like a little custom-fitting is in order
someone previously suggested retrofitting the existing stove with a couple butane burners
I'm going to look into that
cheers!

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2016 :  01:10:15  Show Profile
I have been doing a lot of research on replacement stove for the pressurized alcohol two burner stove. Here's some things I found out: 1)propane and butane burns twice or more as hot as alcohol 2) the butane/propane stove canisters freeze up early and stops pressurization 3) most cheap butane and propane stove are rated only for use outside and in the event of a inside fire or explosion, you must bear responsibility 4)the double and single Origo fit in the area for the original pressurized stove 5) Some brands of newer more expensive butane stove $50+ are rated for indoor cooking and have a built in design for cutoff of canister fume leaking and keeping canister warmed to utilize all the fuel in the can 6)the indoor butane models have adjustable temps with BTU's over 15,000 7)butane canisters cost a little more than $1.00 at Chinese grocery stores vs. big box stores or online prices. Right now we have a single burner Origo but am looking for more BTU's, and am considering a $79 butane single burner stainless steel unit that will sit next to the Origo. Hope this info might help someone.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2016 :  17:26:15  Show Profile
Rolf I need the two burners so let me know if you are going to toss it. I'll pay shipping. Thanks contact me at isailynn@yahoo.com

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2016 :  10:08:16  Show Profile
keeping it as an enclosure for new burners, at least - will let you know if I remove old and they are salvageable, Lynn

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2016 :  18:36:59  Show Profile
Lynn, have you discovered a way to use butane with the original burners? what happened to your $79 single-burner plan? was there a brand name on that unit? thanks! Rolf

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  19:24:25  Show Profile
Not so that it has adjustable heat. The PO removed the burners and just set a backpack camping can of refillable alcohol. removed and stowed small can when not in use cause it was not secured down in any way. Very dangerous to me. After all my research I picked the Iwatani 35FW portable Butane stove because the S/S matches my Origo setting side by side each other, it has 15,000 BTU with adjustable heat range and a built in windscreen if you want to use it in the cockpit fort $73.95 Prime shipping. 2nd choice was IWATANI ZA-3HP, 13,00 BYU.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Rainwater
Deckhand

Members Avatar

22 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2016 :  12:13:21  Show Profile
I bought a 2 burner camp cheif stove from Walmart that fit into the area of the old curtain burner nicely, almost perfect for the width and the depth was close enough. I screwed it down to a small wooden cross member I installed. It has the best low simmer of any campstove I have ever used before and I checekd lots of reviews on that before buying it. Most of them wont simmer but this one will. I do use the small "disposible" canisters that I refill and I disconnect after each use but never had a problem with them leaking,yet. It smells pretty bad when it leaks so Im pretty sure someone would smell the stuff. Im sure some will disagree with the safety aspect and I can see some of the points but its a risk I will take.

"Lisa Rene"-1978 C25
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2016 :  14:46:34  Show Profile
My response is an echo of those above: donate to the "deep six" and replace with a current technology, non "curtain burner" proper stove!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2016 :  14:50:48  Show Profile
but what IS current technology? butane? any other choices?

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2016 :  14:52:45  Show Profile
good question . . . . propane if you have the proper set-up. Simple camping alcohol if cooking is not a priority, or???

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2016 :  15:31:25  Show Profile
Butane or propane. In MHO they are both hand grenades. With proper care and handling they are both safe but if you want to be 100 percent safe, Bring a sandwich

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page