Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 bilge pump keel bolt hose clip ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rbpc25
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/12/2016 :  04:35:37  Show Profile
hi all

just wondering how you all affix/secure/hold down your whale pump hose in the bilge

seems like the top of the keel bolt would make a natural place for a slip-on clip to hold the hose to the bottom of the bilge

anyone doing that?

thanks

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959

Edited by - rbpc25 on 07/12/2016 04:36:22

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  06:04:22  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
mine just lies in the bottom of the bilge. however, clipping to a keelbolt sounds like a good idea.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  08:28:16  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I believe my bilge hose is attached to the side wall with a small clip and screw and then is has the last 6" or so sitting on the bottom of the bilge. I am leaving a bit early today from work to go sailing and if I remember, I will take a look and report back.

But what is going on in the bottom of your bilge - What's growing down there ? The bilge, ideally, should be clean white with shiny keel bolts and nuts. if you have some leakers from rain , etc I would try to attend to those. I am not sure but would think that if the bilge is left constant with some water in it - seems like a perfect breeding ground for mold and that could irritate some individual's senses if staying onboard for some overnighters.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  10:49:46  Show Profile
Personally, I wouldn't drill and screw into the side of the sump, even though I know it's pretty thick--there's water on the other side. Clipping, wiring, or zip-tying to a bolt sounds best. Use a stainless clip or wire to match the bolts on an '85.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  11:52:41  Show Profile
right, but what kind of clip/wire? I imagine something like the PEX hold-downs for radiant flooring, mated to some kind of circular spring clip that slides down the bolt, with tension, to secure...

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  11:59:43  Show Profile
The bilge hose is fairly stiff and in my boat stays put between the bolt heads and the sump wall without being tied down but if you feel its necessary then a zip tie to the bolt should do. I added a PVC schedule 40, 90 deg. elbow to the end of the hose so it would suck up the water down to the fiberglass. I cut some spaces out around the edge that sits on the floor so water will go through and acts like a screen for debris. My bilge is always dry so this spring I thought I would test the gussler pump. Turns out it had a broken diaphragm so it got fixed with the rebuild kit from Defender.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 07/12/2016 12:04:46
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  14:07:08  Show Profile
I was sorta thinking vaguely of a zip tie wrapped once around the bolt and then tied over the hose. No fabricating required. (?) Or maybe you could make a loop between the two bolts, going over the top of the hose--a couple of additional SS nuts could keep it from slipping off... (?)

It's always a good idea for us northerners to test the pump each spring--a little residual frozen water can do in the diaphram. To try to avoid this, I pumped a little pink stuff through in the fall.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/12/2016 14:14:16
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  14:58:32  Show Profile
Another zip tie way is to put 2ties around the bolt. Slip another tie vertically between those 2 ties and the bolt then tighten them to the bolt. Now put the hose into the vertical tie and tighten it up.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  15:32:26  Show Profile
^ smart

I liked your 'wedge it between the bolt and hull' method even better

did that, and twisted it, so natural arc points downward

done, and done

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  18:51:09  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Okay, I went sailing this afternoon/evening and checked out the bilge. I was slightly wrong in my above EMail as to the attachment point for the bilge hose. The bilge hose is actually attached with 2 zip ties very close to the end of the hose and these zip ties appear to have an eyelet at their end for inserting a screw. The screw is actually screwed into the bottom of the bilge and holds the hose securely at the bottom of the bilge.

Having said that, I agree with the other postings regarding not personally screwing into the fiberglass bilge bottom or side. What I would do is take a small block of wood or starboard and epoxy it to either the bilge bottom or to the bilge side adjacent to the bottom. Then attach a zip tie, etc to the hose and attach with a screw, screwed into the block.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  05:47:28  Show Profile
Mine is clamped down to the bottom of the bilge with a couple of plastic clamps and ss screws. I thought it was factory, but maybe not. I did reseal the screws when I added an electric bilge pump.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

rbpc25
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
86 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2016 :  06:14:09  Show Profile
I just wedged the tube between the side of the bilge and aft-most bolt, and then added a large washer and extra nut to the next-forward bolt to hold down the nose - end of the tube sitting flat on the bilge bottme, not moving

Rolf in MA
C25 #4959
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page