Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Need a Bimini
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/03/2016 :  20:00:15  Show Profile
Greetings all, just completed the 1st sail of the season from the yard in Warwick RI to the hook in Newport (about 14 mi). Got the boat to 7k a few times with a strong breeze, anyway, after looking at a few mooring neighbors, I've decided a Bimini is to way to go for an afternoon relaxing on the hook. Is there a recommend brand? Is it worth it to look at used framing from boat re-cyclers? Are there specifications available? Do they fold out of the way so as not to interfere with sailing?
Comments please.
TIA
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2016 :  09:12:50  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Jan,

I don't yet have one and it may be a problem for me later as my boat is a tall rig. If yours is a standard rig you won't have this issue. I can say that I have shopped around and found that most of the custom makers or marine awning shops want a lot of money for a bimini. Go to CD's web site and check out their offerings. They seem to have good quality choices,(if you choose well) at decent prices.
BTW, my issue with my boat being a tall rig is just that my boom is located 2' lower than a standard rig. making it more difficult to get a bimini that will fit. hope this helps you. Good luck.

Bladreswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2016 :  16:38:25  Show Profile
Carver Industries made my bimini. It's been on my boat since before I bought it and I've owned my boat almost 9 years.

They don't sell direct but have a listing of online retailers and local dealers -->> http://www.carvercovers.com/bimini-tops/

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 07/04/2016 16:38:52
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2016 :  17:31:54  Show Profile
Do you plan to sail with the bimini up? Stainless or aluminum frame? Mount on the coaming or foresail car track?

Yes, pre-made, off the shelf units would be less expensive compared to custom made.

Here's a sample of a custom built:

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 07/04/2016 17:35:50
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2016 :  18:20:31  Show Profile
OJ, Where is the sheet for the boom? I can't seem to find it in your photo or is this full length Bimini for dock side or anchor only. I'm guessing maybe you have to fold up or remove the rear half or all of it to sail?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 07/04/2016 18:22:42
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2016 :  20:51:50  Show Profile
OJ, do you have the height measurement from the cockpit sole to the underside of the bimini near the short bow in the front section of your bimini?

My bimini was shredded so bad I could not get that height measurement. I'm guessing it's around 60", at least on my std rig.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  06:41:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

OJ, Where is the sheet for the boom? I can't seem to find it in your photo or is this full length Bimini for dock side or anchor only. I'm guessing maybe you have to fold up or remove the rear half or all of it to sail?

Hi Scott,

While I have moved the traveler just in front of the companionway, I still have to remove the mainsheet (snap shackles) when the bimini is up. The main portion of the bimini folds forward while the rear portion is removed and stowed.
Dockside, anchored and motoring.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  06:46:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

OJ, do you have the height measurement from the cockpit sole to the underside of the bimini near the short bow in the front section of your bimini?

My bimini was shredded so bad I could not get that height measurement. I'm guessing it's around 60", at least on my std rig.

Can't measure as we haven't splashed yet. However, I can stand under the bimini with room to spare (I'm 5'9") so I'd guess around 70"+. While I have a tall rig, I had a foot trimmed from the foot.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

Edited by - OJ on 07/05/2016 06:48:08
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  10:53:14  Show Profile
quote:

That's not how Bimini's are measured, What you need to know is the height from the mounting point. Is the mounting point on top of the coaming, Side of the coaming, On the side deck, or on the T-Track. For instance my Bimini is mounted on top of the coaming on slides so I used an off the shelf Bimini that measured 36" high, 61-66" wide and 6ft long. I needed 66" wide from the center of each coaming. The 36" height was a little to tall to fit under the boom so the tubing had to be cut some, Maybe an inch or two. If you are mounting it on the side deck You would need the measurements to be wider something like in the 70" range. It does not have the coverage like OJ's but I can sail with it up or folded forward but truthfully its always up and I don't have to store any parts down below in an already tight cabin or remove any sheets. More work I'm not looking for. If you do a lot of gunk holing than something like OJ's might be ideal but remember his is custom made and I doubt it was cheap and he also moved his boom higher.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  16:45:33  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

That's not how Bimini's are measured, What you need to know is the height from the mounting point. Is the mounting point on top of the coaming, Side of the coaming, On the side deck, or on the T-Track. For instance my Bimini is mounted on top of the coaming on slides so I used an off the shelf Bimini that measured 36" high, 61-66" wide and 6ft long. I needed 66" wide from the center of each coaming. The 36" height was a little to tall to fit under the boom so the tubing had to be cut some, Maybe an inch or two. If you are mounting it on the side deck You would need the measurements to be wider something like in the 70" range. It does not have the coverage like OJ's but I can sail with it up or folded forward but truthfully its always up and I don't have to store any parts down below in an already tight cabin or remove any sheets. More work I'm not looking for. If you do a lot of gunk holing than something like OJ's might be ideal but remember his is custom made and I doubt it was cheap and he also moved his boom higher.

I realize that. I just wanted to back into the number to be sure I had it right.

My bimini looks exactly like yours except mine has aluminum tubing rather than stainless. It rides about the same distance below the boom and like you I can sail with it up or down. I've owned the boat almost 9 years and in that time the top has been up all but maybe 2 weeks. It stays up all the time.

It mounts to the side of the coaming in the area between your cleat and the 25 and is mounted just above the deck in that area. It measures 82" between the mounting hardware when it's not attached so I think mine is a little wider than yours (I can go forward between the front tubing and the cabin top). I have sliding cars that I've never used and I plan on using them on the back end of the sail tracks on my '89.

I'll probably have to go with the 46" height and cut the tubing down. Carver shows a width on one of their bimini's of 79" to 84" so that should work just about right for using the sail tracks. Mine is 6' long front to back.

EDIT: Actually I think mine is mounted about where your cleat is in the picture above.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 07/05/2016 17:29:33
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  16:45:40  Show Profile
quote:

If I hadn't moved my mainsheet forward (one of the best improvements made to date) I would have installed a bimini just like above. That is one of the best installations I've seen on a C25.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

Edited by - OJ on 07/05/2016 18:13:16
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  22:17:15  Show Profile
Guys, thanks so much for the info, Islander, do you recall what brand of hardware that is? I think I'd go for what you have installed if it's available. Mine is an 82 STD rig FK.
Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2016 :  04:20:44  Show Profile
Jan,My Bimini is made by Westland. It is all stainless with Sunbrella fabric. I bought it in 2008. It was a good deal then but might not be now so I would shop around. I used a 6ft long, 36" high and 61-66 wide. Its mounted on top of the coamings. If you can wait I will double check the measurements when I go to the boat later today and give you more info.

Edited by - islander on 07/06/2016 04:51:05
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2016 :  11:02:49  Show Profile
So I verified the measurements and they are 6ft long, 36" high and 61-66 wide. The mounting points in the center of each coaming is 66" I mounted it to 18" sliders so it can be moved forward and back and the Bimini can be fine tuned as to how far back it can be without interfering with the mainsheet. Cockpit floor to the Bimini is 59" Without the sliders the mounting point is 6" back from the bulkhead. You will have to cut some of the tubing off the legs to get it to fit under the boom. You would like to end up with about 1" clearance between the boom and the Bimini when the sail is fully up and the mainsheet is tight and the topping lift is just slack. If you have a sliding gooseneck (I don't) you could possibly move the boom up some if you have a few inches of room at the masthead for the sail. Reasons for mounting on the top of the coaming is so as not to block access going forward on the side decks. I also dropped the rear straps down to the hinge and attached them to a pad eye above the coaming boxes so as to not block the side access to the boat. I attached the front straps to pad eyes above the window and below the snaps for the pop top cover so if you do put up the pop top and attach the cover the straps won't interfere with it. I found that the benefits to the Bimini is that it does afford you some shade, You don't have to close the hatch and lock yourself in the cabin if you encounter a shower and your teak will stay nice for many years without having the sun beat on it. Also if your hatchboards leak, They won't anymore. The disadvantages are you do have to bend over going under (I'm 6'3") and you do have to lean back to see the mainsail.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2016 :  18:16:22  Show Profile
Scott - What would you guess the the measurement to be from where your's is mounted down to the sail track? I think 36" is going to be too short for me and the next size up is 46" so I'm guessing I will have to cut it down. One of the sites I looked at said 10" is the most you can cut these down.

Also, anyone know where I might be able to find some 7/8" aluminum tubing. I may try to manufacture the pieces of mine that were stolen. I can use the remaining port side center bow to create a template.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2016 :  05:10:11  Show Profile
Gary,West Marine sells tubing and I would think most marine stores do also along with the Bimini fittings. I don't know how much higher and wider you would need to mount it to the tracks so maybe someone else that have there's that way can chime in here.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2016 :  19:28:53  Show Profile
quote:

Gary,West Marine sells tubing and I would think most marine stores do also along with the Bimini fittings. I don't know how much higher and wider you would need to mount it to the tracks so maybe someone else that have there's that way can chime in here.

Perfect. There's one right at the front of my marina. Think they might have a way of bending it for me?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2016 :  04:36:21  Show Profile
I doubt it. Tubing can be bent by making a jig with plywood and nails. Drive the nails into the plywood in the curve that you need. Fill the tubing with sand and bend it around the nails. Look on U-Tube for ways to bend tubing. Maybe a metal fabricating shop around you can do it for a few bucks. Look into spring tube benders. They work very well also and don't cost much and might be what I would try.

Edited by - islander on 07/09/2016 05:09:15
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2016 :  19:08:11  Show Profile
I had forgotten the company I work for has tubing benders for everything from 1/2" to 4". Will probably just borrow one fo the smaller ones for a few minutes if I can find the correct tubing.

BTW... Sailrite does sell the aluminum tubing that I need. Unfortunately they are out of stock at this time.

They've got a LOT of videos on a LOT of subjects. Worth the time to take a look.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 07/12/2016 19:46:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page