Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Very Yar new dinette table ...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/10/2016 :  11:56:31  Show Profile
So I bit the bullet and finally replaced the old dinette table on Passage.

The original was a "wood look" formica wrapped MDF table that had seen better days and way too many rains and soaks. The MDF swelled up and the formica fell off and had to be reglued several times.

Another problem with the original table is that it's WAY too big for the space and it crowded the entire cabin - both the aisleway and the seating area.

So I found a great little raw wood shop in Milford CT and picked up a legal teak board at 80" x 6" x 5/4" for about $25 per board foot. They put it on their two-sided planer and trimmed off about 1/16" on both sides, so the finished piece is slightly thicker than 1".

I measured the space using my crib-boards as a guide and liked the idea of a tapered angle on the sides. Now with a shorter length and a tapered edge, there's plenty of seating room, a lot more walking space. Now you can actually sit on the dinette seats - without having to squeeze into a little slot. And the table is still ample enough for my iPad or PC and a drink or two...

I used my table saw to cut the wood. My son who's a woodworker asked how I calculated the angles and I said I didn't. I just used a centerline on each piece and measured 27" on one edge and 26" on the other of the first piece, 26" on one edge and 25" on the other, then 25" and 24" on the third. I set the angle jig to accommodate the cuts.

Once I had all three pieces, I lined them up and hand trimmed the sides to get them even and smooth due to the kerf of the saw. I joined them using waterproof glue and two hardwood straps underneath. I quarter-rounded the edges of the straps and glued and screwed. I did not need to dowel the boards since the straps and glue are holding firm.

I reattached all the hardware but I'm not too happy about that ugly black metal leg. Any suggestions on how best to replace it?

Here's a shot from the starboard settee.

You can see the other teak trim above ... and my USPS insignia hat. I just got some new flares.

Here's a shot from the companionway.

You can see my Key West love beads in the background there too.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 06/10/2016 12:16:17

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2016 :  13:18:12  Show Profile
Nice work! I never did like that big brown thing you apparently wrecked. Were you using the old table as part of an athwartship double berth? If so, now what...?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/10/2016 13:18:59
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2016 :  15:57:22  Show Profile
Whoo Hoo Bruce! Boy that looks familiar. Somebody must have had a brilliant idea I like the angled sides. Nice improvement. I too re-used the hanging hardware from my large ugly table. Really opens things up nicely and as you said makes sitting down inviting rather than an ordeal. You can cut a piece of plywood to span the two seats if you do ever use the area as a bed. Just put it under the forward V berth cushions for storage. I didn't like the straight down leg either, Thought it would get kicked so I used some Bimini fittings and some old tubing that I had and angled the support off the wall. 7/8 or 1" wood dowel would work also. You could replace the little set screws in the Bimini mounts with thumb screws so it would be easy to remove and use the insert for a bed. Nice job! Your going to love it.
quote:
I never did like that big brown thing you apparently wrecked.

I think Dave's on to you Bruce

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/10/2016 16:16:41
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2016 :  23:07:11  Show Profile
Funny Dave
Even though the old table has been through the mill, it's still pretty indestructible so I kept it to use for the in-betweener for the queen size air mattress. It fit perfectly in the quarterberth under the cockpit. I reglued the Formica yet again.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2016 :  10:22:31  Show Profile
I built a new table a few years back. Just showed the admiral this and now I'll be cutting my table down. It looks great by the way.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2016 :  14:57:48  Show Profile
we're redoing our traditional table to a swing down with piano hinge. I did see from the first photo a great place to fit the 110 elect. outlet that we're also working towards. Projects will be at a stall as hubby is having surgery tomorrow. thanks for the pics every one.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page