Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cabin rugs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/30/2016 :  09:25:03  Show Profile
As you may know, Passage has the dinette layout. I'd like to lay down two rugs: one for the fore and aft runway beside the starboard settee, plus extending into the head area, and another small piece for the galley (rather than custom cut a large rug down into an L-shaped piece).

Anybody have dimensions on that? I'm thinking the "runner" should be about 8' or 9' long by about 14" wide and the galley piece would be roughly 22" X 40". I'd have to make two cutouts for the base of the companionway ladder.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'd guess that somebody here has already measured their boat for carpet and may have the dimensions handy.

A local "Odd Lot" store is offering rubber-backed indoor/outdoor carpeting at a great price. Might not be a beautiful classic Persian Rug pattern, but it'll be kinder to my bare feet than the cabin sole.

I think I can buy some kind of tape to stick both pieces together, or sew the edges together somehow...

Has anybody done this before?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2016 :  09:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Bruce,

I don't have that experience yet but as it happens I was wondering around the Internet just yesterday and found actual marine carpet available at iboats.com. the smallest size was 6'×10'. And of course you would cut it down to the size you need. Being marine carpet, they claim a higher resistance to mold and mildew as well as some UV resistance. Good luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2016 :  10:44:51  Show Profile
Bruce the problem I encountered was that the walkway in front of the settee is something like 18" wide. Most carpet runners and indooor/outdooor mats are around 23-24" wide. I found at HD packs of two I/O mats that were close enough in width and very inexpensive although they aren't rubber backed. I have full off white roll carpeting in the boat so in an attempt to keep it clean I put the mats on top. I have one in the head, Two along the settee and two for the bottom of the steps and galley. The step and galley two overlap each other. If your going to put them on the bare fiberglass floor I would defiantly get the rubber backed mats but double check the width needed in front of the settee.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/30/2016 12:16:23
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2016 :  11:08:25  Show Profile
I put down some cheap rug by the foot from home depot and it works well enough. Its cheap and easy to cut to size. I use industrial rubber mats in the head and galley.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Multy-Home-Concord-Charcoal-26-in-x-50-ft-Roll-Rug-Runner-MT1000124EAUS/202972625?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-202972625-_-N

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2016 :  07:19:08  Show Profile
I was fortunate to get some excess commercial carpet when an office building was being redone.(for free).
I rough cut it for the runner and then just cut off the excess. Still working about three years later.

Capt Sam, USCG Master Near Coastal
Isle of Hope, GA. Charleston,SC. Lake Murray, SC.
Aboard Bobbin - 1982 Standard Rig-Swing Keel #2963 Dinette Model
"On a powerboat you are going somewhere....On a Sailboat you are Already There!" Capt Sam

http://my.boatus.com//memberPhotos/6315398_1_25502.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2016 :  07:17:32  Show Profile
That's good to know that you didn't have to prep the edges after you trimmed them. It's still holding up after a few years.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2016 :  09:27:28  Show Profile
I used commercial carpet tiles. I have them covering the whole cabin floor. I used some double faced carpet tape on some high traffic areas including the steps. Works great.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2016 :  17:04:05  Show Profile
Bruce

I just bought a runner rug from target that measures 36 X 60 and is rubber backed. I cut it down to 18 X 60 and it fits my boat perfectly. Cut right down with a razor knife clean, easy and pretty. You might take a look for 20 bucks you really can't go wrong.

Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2016 :  17:21:29  Show Profile
I have sewn wall-to-wall carpet remnants together along one side with heavy thread and a huge needle. It isn't difficult and can leave an invisible seam.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page