Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Car Traveler 2017 (Catalina25)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shutterbug
Deckhand

Member Avatar

9 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/05/2016 :  10:25:20  Show Profile
I am looking for two used car travellers for a Catalina 25. I already have two but they seem to be ceased or something, unable to pull up the locking stud from the track .....have sprayed with WD40.... With another product used on Oil Drilling Rig with no avail. JUST maybe someone else has had the same problem. HOPE SOMEONE can help. I left my boat in Newfoundland last summer 17hrs drive from her. Along Canada's east coast, hoping to view the icebergs up close this summer of 2017.

Edited by - shutterbug on 01/08/2017 13:10:50

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2016 :  14:49:24  Show Profile
Perhaps if you post some pix of the furler drum - someone may be able to identify the manufacturer.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 05/08/2016 14:56:05
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  07:12:45  Show Profile
It appears that you have a CDI furler. I'm not 100% positive but I seem to remember reading on this forum that those connectors are no longer available. You might be able to retrofit the new plastic foil extrusion to the parts that you have. Here is the contact info for CDI:

http://www.sailcdi.com/products/spare-parts

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  21:46:42  Show Profile
check with Tom (the owner) at the Sail Boat Shop, Lake Pleasant, AZ. he has lots of various used furler extrusions. you can email him your photo of what you need. he does not do texting. his email and phone number are at www.sailaz.com he is open wed to sun. 10 - 5 Arizona time

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2016 :  05:24:17  Show Profile
I agree with Davy J it looks like a CDI some parts are available from the company, but you have to go through one of their dealers. I replaced my drum a little more than a year ago. The connectors are not available, at least I was unable to find a source. My next door neighbor was a machinist and he said he could make some, then he changed jobs and the offer fell through.
I cut the long connectors in half and secured them with pop rivets. What causes them to break is there is no flexibility in the furler so you must be very careful whenever you must lower the mast. I learned that the hard way.
Lookg back I could have saved the $150 the drum cost and applied it toward a flexible furler system.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

jimfj
1st Mate

Members Avatar

31 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2016 :  09:38:17  Show Profile  Visit jimfj's Homepage
If you still need these I might have a couple and i also have a drum and extrusions. Email me at jhiebl@everestkc.net

Jim

SAIL FAST LIVE SLOW!
82 C-25 fin, S/R dinette.
Joint Venture
Port of Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

shutterbug
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2016 :  13:52:30  Show Profile
Thanks so much....I will try contacting him...
quote:
Originally posted by Sailynn

check with Tom (the owner) at the Sail Boat Shop, Lake Pleasant, AZ. he has lots of various used furler extrusions. you can email him your photo of what you need. he does not do texting. his email and phone number are at www.sailaz.com he is open wed to sun. 10 - 5 Arizona time

Go to Top of Page

shutterbug
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2016 :  14:00:11  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for all the help.... with any luck I will be able to contact Tom and have 8 pointers in the mail later this week. Happy Sailing EVERYONE
Go to Top of Page

shutterbug
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2016 :  14:02:11  Show Profile
NOT pointers....LOL ... (Joiners )....LOL
Go to Top of Page

shutterbug
Deckhand

Members Avatar

9 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2017 :  13:08:37  Show Profile
I am looking for two used car travellers for a Catalina 25. I already have two but they seem to be ceased or something, unable to pull up the locking stud from the track .....have sprayed with WD40.... With another product used on Oil Drilling Rig with no avail. JUST maybe someone else has had the same problem. HOPE SOMEONE can help. I left my boat in Newfoundland last summer 17hrs drive from her. Along Canada's east coast, hoping to view the icebergs up close this summer of 2017.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page