Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 stuck trailer extension
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sailynn
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/03/2016 :  14:38:32  Show Profile
has anyone heard of mixing transmission fluid and anti freeze applied to a frozen trailer extension?

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2016 :  14:47:02  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
If it were me, I'd figure out a way to tilt the trailer up (or down), and empty a can of PB Blaster into the upright end of the extension / outer box section joint and let it soak in for at least a day.

Can you get to the rear end of the extension tube? Maybe cut down a 4x4 post to fit inside the outer box section and pound out the extension from behind?

If it's bent, neither of these are probably going to be very successful.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2016 :  14:59:07  Show Profile
not bent going to buy another can of pb blaster and try drilling more holes in the top of outside channel. was planning on launching tomorrow.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2016 :  19:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Drilling holes through the outer section may do more harm than good, as there may likely be a burr created around the bottom edge of the hole where the drill bit enters the gap (now presumed to be filled with relatively soft rust) between the outer and inner sections. That burr would be forced down into the dimple where the bit enters the inner section. Unless there's so much of a gap that the entire point of the bit passes out of the outer section without the point of the bit starting to cut into the inner section. It that's the case, however, I would expect there to be so much play that the inner section would not have bound up. You're far better off tilting the trailer up (even a good hill would help). Good luck.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2016 :  12:01:15  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
What about blocking the wheels so they can't move, and pulling on the extension with your truck? I'm assuming the extension has a tow receiver on the forward end. If you can take up tension with the truck & then have a helper bang on the outer tube with a mallet or 2x4 or other suitable implement (you don't want to dent it with a hammer), you might be able to jar it free.

You could also apply heat to the outside & run water down the inside. This would expand the outer tube and (hopefully) contract the extension. A weed burner extension would help you to not over heat the tube.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2016 :  15:42:29  Show Profile
Lots of good suggestions here but as to your inquiry about ATF fluid and Acetone I can tell you that i used it to remove the nuts on my keel and it worked like a charm. much better than any store bought product that is available. Look up the results of others on the internet you will find a lot of good info.

Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page