Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 Bareboat Charter/Sailing School Recommendations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johngfoster
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
34 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/23/2016 :  19:50:01  Show Profile
Hi All

My wife and I are exploring the possibility of doing a bareboat charter vacation some summer in the next few years. We are considering the Puget Sound area, as it is the closest geographically to us, and would be able to drive there. I have done an ASA basic keelboat and basic costal cruising course about 15yr ago, but my wife only has been sailing with me on our Capri 25 on local lakes, and with friends 2-3 times on San Francisco Bay. She feels she would benefit from some formal instruction/sailing classes before embarking on a bareboat charter. So my question is two-fold:

1. Recommendations on a good sailing school. We are thinking we would do a 1 week "learn to sail" course together, as I could probably do with some brushing up of some skills. It would be ideal if the school would include accommodations on one of the boats we would use during the course. I know this is offered in San Diego, as that was the arrangement the school offered when I did my course.

2. Recommendations on a bareboat charter company. I would think it would be ideal to charter the boat from the same company that offered the learn to sail course, as they would have more confidence in the quality of instruction, and we would be more of a "known entity" to them. Eventually, we would like to possibly do some bareboat chartering in more exotic locations, but for now with the finances and family obligations the way they are, more local would be better.

Thanks

John Foster
1983 Capri 25
Hull #380

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2016 :  20:18:42  Show Profile
I have nothing to offer about the organizations--just one observation or suggestion I've heard from friends: When taking the lessons, try to take them as two independent "students"--not as a "couple." Apparently, there can be a tendency for a wife to slip into "first mate" mode--you want her to learn self-sufficiency on the boat--especially in the event she becomes responsible for a real-life M.O.B. operation! It's a subtle distinction, but one to keep in mind. Don't let her "defer..." (Of course, maybe I don't know your wife! )

As for "exotic"--the Puget Sound is nothing to sneeze at! Have a blast!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/23/2016 20:19:45
Go to Top of Page

johngfoster
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
34 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2016 :  20:25:46  Show Profile
That is good advice, Stinkpotter. My wife was the one who suggested lessons, and she is someone that would not allow me to teach her. She wants to learn for herself, and from a "professional".

John Foster
1983 Capri 25
Hull #380

Edited by - johngfoster on 04/23/2016 20:26:28
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2016 :  07:46:38  Show Profile
She is wise, as are you. Husband-wife "instruction" on a sailboat is a dicey proposition, and can be the end of the enjoyment of sailing for the wife before it begins. A third party works better. (I've been the third party a few times, although I'm no pro...) I'll wager you'll marvel at the results!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/24/2016 07:49:04
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2016 :  15:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

I live in Southern California and have looked into all of the courses offered by ASA. They do offer a bareboat charter coarse and also have a variety of boats for you to charter upon completion. But It looks like you are now on the east coast so my recommendation would be to Google up the ASA school near you and check them out. Best of luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2016 :  12:54:21  Show Profile
When I first began to sail, my wife and I took a 2 day basic sailing course in which we were assigned to different boats. (The school explained that it's usually best if there's only one captain on each boat.)

We followed that with a 5 day cruising course in which we sailed from one marina or anchorage to the next with the guidance of an instructor on a lead boat. The boats used on that cruise were outboard powered, and wouldn't have been much help in operating an inboard powered boat that you might charter. In your case, instead of a general cruising course, I recommend a bareboat chartering course. You need to learn how to maneuver and dock bigger, inboard powered boats, and how to operate their systems. With instruction, it isn't as difficult as you might imagine. I'm not sure, but I think an ASA 103 course, using an inboard powered boat, is probably a suitable course for you.

I can't recommend a west coast school. I'm only familiar with east coast schools, but you might try going to the American Sailing Association or US Sailing web sites and searching for instructors in your area.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page