Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Reefing the Main
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jfilion2
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
22 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/21/2016 :  09:03:15  Show Profile
I sail on Lake Ontario. I am the only boat on the water at the moment in my marina due to the harsh and persistent winter we've had / are having.

I had a guest yesterday that wanted to go sailing on my boat. He had zero experience so I wanted to take it extra easy not to scare him out of the sport.

I also had a vested interest in taking it easy as I know the water temperature is so cold that I would be unable to move my muscles to stay afloat in less than 3 minutes.

There were 25 km/h winds yesterday, so we just had the jib out.

The boat seems unbalanced with just the jib, so I wanted to add a bit of mainsail. I decided to reef the main to its smallest size, and I basically failed at doing so.

Can someone explain to me the process of reefing the main from the put away position (down) to up?

Many thanks, and sorry for my ineptitude.

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2016 :  10:25:56  Show Profile
The easiest way would be to raise the sail at the dock to the reef point you want to use, secure it and furl the sail until you get out. Head up into the wind, lower the sail to the reef point and re-tension the halyard if you are already sailing. The actual mechanics depend on your reefing system. Do you have 1 line or 2? An outboard line and a reef hook? Just reef points, cleats and extra lines without a dedicated system? Photos of your boom and equipment would be helpful.

I frequently sail on just the genoa in that 12 knot range when I'm being lazy, but you do need a headsail with some overlap (extends aft of the mast) or a little bit of main to keep things balanced. That wind speed is kind of a sweet spot for easy sailing on our boats, and a headsail larger than 100% will let you sail with less heel to keep everybody happy. My 150 is fun in those conditions, but a 120 would be ok. A 110 might be enough, but I don't really know.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 04/21/2016 10:38:21
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2016 :  10:01:01  Show Profile
It will be most helpful if you have a topping lift (other than the pigtail attached to the backstay). When you reef the mainsail, you have to ease the main halyard to let the sail down to the reef points. If you don't have a topping lift to hold up the boom, the boom will fall into the cockpit, on top of the occupants. Having a topping lift will make reefing almost as easy as reefing at the dock, and that's a good thing. Just yesterday I rigged a topping lift on my Cal 25 for the same reason, and also because it will make it much easier for me to raise and lower the mainsail when I'm singlehanding the boat.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2016 :  10:29:00  Show Profile
You can also lower the sail to your reef point and mark your halyard with a Sharpie at a point by the winch. This way you can lower the sail to the mark without having to look for the reef cringle when reefing.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2016 :  17:23:29  Show Profile
Good point on the topping lift. I have always had or added one and am so used to it that I forget to mention it. You really don't want to get blown off the wind with the boom attached to the pigtail when reefing is necessary.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2016 :  08:13:49  Show Profile
Amen to the notion of NOT using the pigtail!!! and having a topping lift!!

When I am short handed and want to reef while we are out, I simply heave to. All the "commotion" stops, and I can move about the boat easily even in pretty heavy air.

If you have not learned to heave to, its easy and a very useful way to "anchor" in the wind. You still make a small amount of leewway, so account for that if you decide to stop and take a nap!!:-)

To heave to, sail close hauled, and then tack, but do not release the jib sheet. The jib goes "aback" (fills backwards) and at the same time luff the main (simply uncleat it and let it run all the way out). Then when stopped, put the helm hard over to try to bring the boat up into the wind again, and tie the tiller down all the way over. The rudder wants to bring the bow up, but the backed jib tries to push it down, the main is in the lee of the jib and does nothing... Experiment with the jib sheet to find its "happy place" that keeps things the most stable.

Cheers!

Chuck

Chuck Shaw
Confetti
Cat 25, hull#1
1976 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2016 :  21:16:33  Show Profile
I find the pigtail is pretty much useless. Since I have a furler I don't need the jib halyard. The PO had cut the excess halyard and tied what was left to the mast. I reversed the ends of the cable, put line on it and a shackle on the other end, and ran it back to the end of the boom. It serves the purpose of a topping lift very well and makes hoisting the main much easier.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2016 :  03:54:31  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Digger

I find the pigtail is pretty much useless. Since I have a furler I don't need the jib halyard. The PO had cut the excess halyard and tied what was left to the mast. I reversed the ends of the cable, put line on it and a shackle on the other end, and ran it back to the end of the boom. It serves the purpose of a topping lift very well and makes hoisting the main much easier.

I'm confuse; you take the tail of your jib halyard and use it as a topping lift? Doesn't the luff of the jib slacken up?

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2016 :  21:40:07  Show Profile
I loved reefing and had to do it often on the water. (Assuming you have a topping lift) Step one is let go the halyard a bit more than the reef tack will require to keep tension off the leach of the sail until you are finished. 2 let go the mainsheet to release the vertical and horizontal travel of the boom. (If you are serious about a good safe reef you will have two line reefing and setting the reef Outhaul and Tack down haul are discrete events.) Third set the set the tack at the gooseneck then set the outhaul on the reef, the outhaul should be tight or the finished reef will not be flat. Finally haul the halyard back hard. A good safe reef gives a very flat sail that depowers the boat, a poor and baggy reef will create a deep pocket which will actually hurt the safety of the boat, I have never been able to get a safe reef on the water with a single line system. Now sheet in and kick butt. Note my sig.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2016 :  02:00:38  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

quote:

I'm confuse; you take the tail of your jib halyard and use it as a topping lift? Doesn't the luff of the jib slacken up?

I could have made that more clear. Sorry. The roller furler has a halyard to hoist the head sail. So the jib halyard, on my boat it's a SS cable has been hanging idly for years. I attached a line to it and ran it back to the boom. I still use the pigtail but only when in the slip. In the photo you will see the pigtail hanging from the backstay and the cable attached to the boom.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2016 :  05:31:14  Show Profile
I have a topping lift and I use the cunningham line and hook for the reef points also. So far I have been able to reef the main at the slip before I raise it. After I get out of the marina and into the wind I raise the main. I tie the retainer loops after things settle down. Depends on how the boat is rigged to be able to do this.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2016 :  09:03:11  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
now i have to show mine. This single line reefing has worked great for me.
front

rear

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2016 :  20:58:38  Show Profile
quote:

I use the pig tail only when the boat is in the slip.
Fine, as long as you remember to unhook it before you leave the slip. The first time you forget and hoist the main with it hooked up... Well, it's hard to explain, but you probably won't forget again. I left the pigtail clipped to the backstay until I got new standing rigging, which had no pigtail.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2016 :  03:42:45  Show Profile
Fine, as long as you remember to unhook it before you leave the slip. The first time you forget and hoist the main with it hooked up... Well, it's hard to explain, but you probably won't forget again. I left the pigtail clipped to the backstay until I got new standing rigging, which had no pigtail.

Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2016 :  03:52:37  Show Profile

[/quote]

OOPS

When I first got the boat I did that-------NOT FUN

Added a topping lift and not used the pig-tail since.

Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2016 :  07:48:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hewebb

OOPS

When I first got the boat I did that-------NOT FUN

Added a topping lift and not used the pig-tail since.
[/quote]

Been there done that! I am adding things to my list of stupid mistakes not to be made again. I use the pigtail because it holds the boom in a centered position over the cockpit. With my improvised halyard topping lift system the boom is able to go any which way the wind pushes it.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2016 :  08:15:03  Show Profile
quote:

...With my improvised halyard topping lift system the boom is able to go any which way the wind pushes it.
You can't snug the mainsheet against the topping lift?

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2016 :  13:50:58  Show Profile
In the pig tails defense I will say I like my pig tail, So much so that when I replaced my standing rigging I cut it off the old rigging and put it on the new rigging. It keeps the boom out of my face dockside without having to always adjust the topping lift. It keeps the boom from swaying as much as it does with just the topping lift.(yes the main sheet is tight) It keeps my mainsail cover up and off my Bimini
Signed A Piggy lover

Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2016 :  11:08:18  Show Profile

rear

[/quote]
Thanks for the pictures. The clew cringle has a shieve so the reefing line goes back to the end of the boom pulling out and down. Is that correct? It does two jobs. Cool.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2016 :  12:36:49  Show Profile
quote:

The clew cringle has a shieve so the reefing line goes back to the end of the boom pulling out and down. Is that correct? It does two jobs. Cool.
Little blocks toggled to the reef tack and the reef clew are a good idea, especially with a single-line rig, since they eliminate the friction of the line going through the two cringles. But that means the hardware on the boom is all on one side--slightly different from the "normal" setup. I prefer a two-line system where the reef tack can be fully set before the reef clew is tensioned, pulling against the tack. Failure to fully snug the tack can result in slugs being pulled out of the track.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/21/2016 12:37:34
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2016 :  05:36:19  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:

Thanks for the pictures. The clew cringle has a shieve so the reefing line goes back to the end of the boom pulling out and down. Is that correct? It does two jobs. Cool.

Both front and rear have the little block. reduces friction greatly. the block on the boom is in the same place for through the cringle reefing ( i didnt move it.). Isn't that how they all do it? down and back? Also the tack does tension before the clew. Ill have to post a video of the process. If it ever stops raining I'll get out and make one. got the idea from this pic

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

rdthoms
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2016 :  12:45:12  Show Profile
I don't have a topping lift but I do have the "two-line" reefing system. I reef the leech end of the sail first (pulls the boom up) then reef the luff end of the sail by lowering the mainsail to the correct point. During those operations a topping lift is not needed as the boom will never fall.

Richard
Huntsville, AL
1984 Catalina 25 SR/FK #4309
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2016 :  07:53:35  Show Profile
Ahh But that's the opposite of the correct way. Luff first Leech second

Edited by - islander on 05/28/2016 07:55:03
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2016 :  06:18:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

[quote]Originally posted by Digger

Failure to fully snug the tack can result in slugs being pulled out of the track.

I reefed for the first time yesterday. I couldn't get it to work without removing the slug stopper from the slot and letting two slugs come out. I couldn't get the gooseneck to come up off the downhaul cleat, so I had to drop the tack to the boom. It seemed like this was okay because the forward reefing line acted like a downhaul. Although the reef worked, I'm still thinking I rigged it wrong.

So how do you do it so that you could easily shake out the reef later? Do I need a stopper under the gooseneck of the boom? Or a reefing hook at the gooseneck? Or move the forward reefing line hardware from the mast to the boom?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2016 :  07:11:11  Show Profile
quote:
I couldn't get it to work without removing the slug stopper from the slot and letting two slugs come out.

Seth, You just found out why you need mast gates instead of the slug stopper . The gates will allow the slugs to fully drop past the slug gate to the bottom of the track.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2016 :  08:41:58  Show Profile
Here are CD's mast gates:

I bought them. Others have fashioned similar things from material like aluminum molding. CD's are stainless steel, and the rods you see become the sides of the slot the slugs can drop through--very strong, but they generally have to be shortened to the height of the opening--a grinding wheel helps. CD includes the machine screws, a drill bit and a tap to thread the holes in the mast. It makes the gates easy to remove when you want to take the sail off.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page