Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Head sails
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2016 :  06:52:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

...the boat has or at least had an Alado furling system. So I will try to research those.
Apparently it got a good review from Practical Sailor--a good sign. (I could only see the introduction.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2016 :  07:08:32  Show Profile
Just for clarity, the type of boat chosen to either race or cruise, depends on where you intend to sail it. Jim was un-competitive with the C25 because he was trying to race it in offshore distance races along the Pacific coast. Bigger, heavier boats can punch through bigger waves. Smaller, lighter boats get smacked by a choppy wave and are nearly brought to a stop. Also, bigger boats with longer waterlines can attain higher average speeds, leaving smaller boats in their wakes.

C25s are at their best racing round-the-buoys in inland lakes and bays, where they don't have big waves to contend with. C25s aren't slow. I raced my TR/FK for two years against the 13 boat J24 fleet, and it was usually the 2nd or 3rd boat around the windward mark, and sometimes beat one or two Js to the finish line, even though I raced without spinnaker and they all flew spinnakers.

There are some guys racing C27s on the Patapsco River who are getting amazing results against boats they shouldn't be able to beat, and I have always believed that the C25, in it's venue, is inherently faster than the C27. The C25 (esp. TR/FK) is better in light air and smooth water. The C27 is better in stronger winds and choppier water.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2016 :  14:57:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Just for clarity, the type of boat chosen to either race or cruise, depends on where you intend to sail it. Jim was un-competitive with the C25 because he was trying to race it in offshore distance races along the Pacific coast...
...and he grew tired of correcting out over boats that had left him over the horizon in his SR/FK--not to mention missing the entire post-race party! He switched to a Pearson Flyer 30 (Sly McFly), and all that changed.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2016 :  16:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again Everyone,

Eureka!!! Maybe I'm not the knot head I thought I was. Got back to where all of my boats stuff is and started searching through it. After visiting the Alado Web site, I was able to recognize the parts needed for my furling system. And thank goodness it was all there. Looks like I didn't throw anything away after all. (Now I have to wonder what it was I did throw away). So all parts are present and accounted for. Whew, a lot of money saved. Thanks again everyone.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page