Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Waste holding tank
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  14:30:59  Show Profile
Dave, 4gal/min is way over kill. I have a Par-Max 1.9gal/min that services the 2 faucets in the cabin and an aft shower. I can run all three at the same time without loss of pressure. I probably could have gone smaller. A large capacity pump might empty your water tank faster. http://www.go2marine.com/product/205836F/jabsco-par-max-1-9-water-pressure-system-pump.html

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/16/2016 14:32:07
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  18:26:33  Show Profile
Glad you posted that! I thought that I originally read that the 711 head required 4 gal/min. I rechecked due to your post and it has a 2 minimum. I'll probably go for a much cheaper 3 rather than the 4 or the absolute minimum.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2016 :  12:53:46  Show Profile
Sealand 711 M28 head/holding tank update. I took a few measurements to see if the project is feasible. It wouldn't be a drop in. The head area is only 17: deep near the forward end and the standard head is 14" to the seat top. The 711 is 19" front to back and the seat is 20" (I dropped the fractions). Depending on how much space is available between the liner and hull, it might be possible to recess the front back corner 2". The seat height could be addressed by moving the trim piece in front of the head and hinging it to make a drop down footrest. Angling the head slightly aft, the platform is 22" deep there, and building out the forward front portion is also a possibility. Building out would encroach slightly on passageway sole width, but would only impact getting into the v-berth. Refitting a hinged footrest would also need to be addressed. I guess I'll have to check the liner/hull clearance and make a 19x19 1/4 pattern. A combined unit that actually flushes does have a lot to recommend it. Depending on the distance from the edge of the bowl to the edge of the tank, it might be possible to move the unit slightly aft to gain a little more room without bumping shoulders with the bulkhead.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2016 :  14:37:00  Show Profile
Well, as I said, I don't know how or whether the 711 would fit... But the manual says front-to-back is 19-1/4" including the slight overhang of the front of the bowl, so the tank is a little shorter. The anchor screw slots are maybe a couple of inches back from the front of the tank (on the sides), so it appears to me the tank could overhang the platform a little--mine might do that, although it's under shrink-wrap now, so I can't see. And it isn't in a C-25.

EDIT: I found one picture that shows part of the base--it looks like my tank overhangs the platform by a fraction of an inch on the front.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/21/2016 14:44:18
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2016 :  18:32:00  Show Profile
Last night I made a scaled graphic and pasted a scaled 19x19 1/4" rectangle over it. It appears that it would fit with the head rotated slightly clockwise and against the main saloon bulkhead. I don't know that the 1 3/4" from the bowl edge to the tank edge would be adequate shoulder room when seated. I'll still have to check the liner/hull clearance and investigate building out the front of the platform, but it is looking more plausible.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2016 :  11:04:00  Show Profile
I wasn't clear... The 19-1/4" is the back of the tank to the front of the seat, which overhangs the tank a little. This shows 17-1/8" by 18-7/8" for the tank itself.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/23/2016 11:07:21
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2016 :  17:17:19  Show Profile
Thanks Dave, that is a more comprehensive visual and dimensional drawing than on Dometic's website. It should be very close to a drop in other than the footrest since I have 17" of depth for the tank with the the head in approximately the same place as the original.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2016 :  23:09:25  Show Profile
I've an 82 STD Rig FK, I too had a few issues with the holding system, here is what I did: The whole area around the tank had foul smell that even bleach would not get rid of. The fix was to replace all the hoses. The tank however had a lot of hard solid mass towards the bottom, I used a small pressure washer and sprayed thru the existing vent opening [3/4" on mine] a number of times pumping out often (I rigged a temp external pump). After about 5 'flushing' the tank is now clear as evidence by an endoscope. In all it took about an afternoon to do the flushing - a good day to replace the hoses - and have a fan handy :)
HTH
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page