Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Waste holding tank
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Akenumber
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/07/2016 :  16:26:17  Show Profile
I was wondering if anyone has had problems with sediment in their waste holding tank? I know rv guys are all very sensitive about the subject with their own cleaning techniques. My tank seems to fill up quicker than I would think it should.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  03:40:53  Show Profile
check vents are clear...

s/v No Worries, O'Day 28
PO Moe'Uhane - C25 SR/FK #1746
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  04:46:06  Show Profile
If you know how much the tank holds you could start with an empty tank then pour/flush that same amount of water into it to see if it holds that amount. It should be close if the tank is clean.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  05:46:56  Show Profile
Vents are clear. Not sure how much the oe tank holds. I think fresh water is 16g. So I would think the waste is about the same. Just wondering if anyone has had any known issues.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  07:18:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Akenumber

...So I would think the waste is about the same.
Why?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  10:29:43  Show Profile
Capacity is capacity regardless of the product. If the tank has gone long periods after use without a pumpout and rinse or had non-septic safe T.paper or other products flushed, then it can build up a hard residue than will not come out with a pumpout and rinse, and it could eventually amount to a significant volume. I only see four options if you have that problem and the remaining capacity is inadequate. 1. Drink less! 2. Add a septic system cleaner and let it sit for a week before pumping out. Rinse it with a strong detergent solution and copious amounts of water. It isn't likely to help, but it is cheap, inoffensive and easy. 3. Add an access port and clean the tank. That is a really offensive job, somewhat increases the chance for future odors/leaks but fairly inexpensive. 4. Replace the tank. A moderately offensive job that will solve the problem but is fairly expensive.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  14:34:23  Show Profile
From the manuals section.
quote:
HOLDING TANK

The optional holding tank is made from high density polypropylene plastic. The tank capacity is 14 U.S. Gallons. It is located under the forward end of the settee or dinette seat on the port side.

and this
quote:
Waste should not be stored for long periods of time. The tank should be emptied and flushed regularly.

Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  17:13:55  Show Profile
The best option is to replace the whole %$#$%^ mess with a nice small totally portable porta potty that the biggest problem you can have can be fixed in 10 minutes and 100 bucks.

Slim

P.S. I would have said bucket but i was thinking of the nice ladies reading this LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

Capacity is capacity regardless of the product. If the tank has gone long periods after use without a pumpout and rinse or had non-septic safe T.paper or other products flushed, then it can build up a hard residue than will not come out with a pumpout and rinse, and it could eventually amount to a significant volume. I only see four options if you have that problem and the remaining capacity is inadequate. 1. Drink less! 2. Add a septic system cleaner and let it sit for a week before pumping out. Rinse it with a strong detergent solution and copious amounts of water. It isn't likely to help, but it is cheap, inoffensive and easy. 3. Add an access port and clean the tank. That is a really offensive job, somewhat increases the chance for future odors/leaks but fairly inexpensive. 4. Replace the tank. A moderately offensive job that will solve the problem but is fairly expensive.

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  19:43:46  Show Profile
Ah -- and that is the endless conundrum we all face. My next project should be the plumbing -- head and sink. Many say just put a portapoti in BUT the boat was designed for a proper head and holding tank. Therefore, I tend to think that replacing with like is a better way to go. In my situation, where the head has been "not used" for close to a decade, I am leaning toward replacing the holding tank, head, and redoing the entire system. That said: For those who have removed a head/holding tank and all the plumbing and replaced with a portapoti -- has it been better? What are you missing from having the original plumbing?

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  21:01:29  Show Profile
No, no Porta poti. I will tell the admiral to drink less. Maybe I need to do a good series of flushes. I have just never heard of any major holding tank issues. But, like you said there is defiantly a possibly of over use. Maybe from the PO. He he . I think large swells and flushing can fix it. Thanks for all the input. Always appreciated.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2016 :  12:50:47  Show Profile
Buy this book:

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615/The+New+Get+Rid+of+Boat+Odors

Stu
1986 C34 #224 "Aquavite"
Cowichan Bay, BC Maple Bay Marina
(formerly San Francisco)
(formerly C25 #2459 "Capricorn Two")
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2016 :  13:54:06  Show Profile
I have this Sealand 711 head in my $+!nkp*+...

- Looks and sits like a proper "throne" with ceramic bowl.
- Pedal-operation is very easy to explain and use.
- Uses the boat's pressurized fresh water system.
- Pump-out and vent plumbing.
- 9.5 gallon integrated holding tank.
- Totally odor-free so far.
- A blast from a hose right through the bowl cleans the tank--I do it each fall.
- A Y-valve and mascerator can discharge outside of "the line"--mine is between Block Island and Montauk Point. (Not yet used.)

I don't know whether or how it would fit in the C-25 head area. It might not be adequate for extended cruising, but has been fine for two people over a weekend. I pump out only 2-3 times a season--YMMV.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/12/2016 14:03:06
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2016 :  17:40:30  Show Profile
Very nice Dave, but it is 7" taller than the standard head. It tempted me enough to look up the dimensions.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2016 :  05:49:56  Show Profile
Thanks for the book idea stu. I just ordered it. Hard to pass up good reference. I had no idea they made portable style heads you can use with a mascerator and a pump out. If it comes to it, dimentions permitting, I think that is one of the better ideas. Thankyou both for the help. Oh, I also ordered some heavy duty holding tank cleaner by happy camper. It had good reviews, so we will see.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Edited by - Akenumber on 04/13/2016 05:52:41
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2016 :  07:48:27  Show Profile
quote:

Very nice Dave, but it is 7" taller than the standard head. It tempted me enough to look up the dimensions.
Yup, although at about 20", the seat is about 2" taller than my newer "ergo" home toilet, which is comfortable for my tired, old knees, and reduces "splashing" from stand-up males... What I don't know is how it would be on the platform in the C-25 that I no longer own.

By the way, I wouldn't call the Sealand 711 "portable"--it is designed to be "permanently" attached and not to be carried off to be emptied. You can see one of the mounting holes toward the left front corner above. There are some Sealand and Thetford all-plastic, portable units with built-in water supplies and 5 gallon waste tanks that can optionally be plumbed for pumping out on deck. As I recall, their seats are a just few inches lower than the 711, and as far as I know they can't be hooked up to the boat's water supply.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/13/2016 07:51:28
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2016 :  09:39:51  Show Profile
That's what I discovered. My wife wouldn't want a flexing, plastic portapottie, but this one would be 27 inches to the seat mounted in the C-25 , plus about 4-5 inches for the platform. That would be pretty high for the admiral and not exactly comfortable for me. I'm still thinking electric to make her happy. They draw a lot of current, but the duration and frequency wouldn't have that much impact on my batteries. I rebuilt the pump on the existing one, but it is leaking fresh water again and will probably be replaced this year. The giant stainless steel holding tank that a previous owner installed under the V-berth will be going too. It will be nice to get rid of that mass in the bow.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2016 :  12:28:53  Show Profile
quote:

...but this one would be 27 inches to the seat mounted in the C-25 , plus about 4-5 inches for the platform...
I'm not sure what you're seeing... My owners's manual specs show 19-1/8" from the bottom of the tank to the top of the bowl. So that would put the seat surface at just about 20". But that would be on top of the C-25's platform. Mine is on a bit of a platform, too, since the sole isn't level in the head.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/13/2016 12:29:25
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2016 :  18:50:35  Show Profile
You're right, I thought I misread the diagram. I thought it was showing 20 inches from the top, but now I can't find the same page and suspect that I might have been looking at a different head. The 711 M28 is the same height as the Jabsco, but I would have to measure to see if the 19 inchish base would fit.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2016 :  21:03:30  Show Profile
Dave, do you have (or are you planning) pressure water? That's prerequisite for the 711. It's also pretty nice in the galley.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2016 :  21:36:06  Show Profile
I'm considering pressure water or a raw water system connected to a separate water source instead of a thruhull. Pressure water with an accumulator would be a major project in itself, but has much to recommend it. A flexible water bladder and one deck fitting would be pretty simple. One of the electric heads I'm considering has a fill/empty switch in addition to the flush button, the other only has a flush button. The 711 does have a fill system and would make the head/holding tank really easy but costs as much as an electric head. Do you think it flushes and rinses as well as an electric with a macerator. I could do the pressure system and add an accumulator later. Can you adjust the fill level by how long you hold the foot switch up?

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2016 :  07:12:57  Show Profile
quote:

...The 711 does have a fill system and would make the head/holding tank really easy but costs as much as an electric head.
...but one electric pump can also serve the whole boat.
quote:
Do you think it flushes and rinses as well as an electric with a macerator.
I don't know why not. Water swirls in and everything just falls directly into the tank--simple gravity--where your enzyme treatment breaks it down. A mascerator is not needed unless you're discharging overboard.
quote:
Can you adjust the fill level by how long you hold the foot switch up?
Yup. And how much you flush by how long you hold it down. It's very easy for guests.

At season-end, I empty the water tank, let the pump blow out the line to the head, call the free pump-out boat to my dock, and as he's pumping, hold the pedal down and blast the holding tank with a hose. Any sludge is removed. Then I run antifreeze through the whole system and finally pour a little more into the head tank.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/14/2016 07:17:47
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2016 :  19:52:09  Show Profile
A 12 volt sure flow pump has a built in cut in/out switch and I haven't ever seen an accumulator to be nesessary. We use them on a lot of our trucks at work. Oh, and I should have substituted contained for portable. I kinda like the idea.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Edited by - Akenumber on 04/14/2016 19:54:06
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2016 :  20:39:05  Show Profile
The value of the accumulator is less cycling and noise. Small marine accumulators have around 0.5 gallon capacity, more than enough for a flush or hand wash. And no, it certainly isn't essential.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2016 :  21:34:13  Show Profile
The purpose of an accumulator that I'm aware of is to reduce pulsing from the pump. When I flush my head, the pump runs continuously until I stop flushing, as I suspect it would with an accumulator (maybe with a slight delay). The only pulsing is when I open a faucet only a fraction--full open is smooth. The pulsing doesn't bother me in the least, although it might be a little harder on the pump over time--I don't know.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2016 :  03:47:43  Show Profile
Modern pumps have eliminated or reduced pulsing to the point of being irrelevant. I have a Par Max and I don't notice any pulsing.

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2016 :  20:03:30  Show Profile
I'll probably still go with an accumulator. Pump life has to be improved if the pump doesn't kick on every time you open a faucet or flush the head. I'm probably going with the 4 gal/min Parmax with a 0.5 gal accumulator. I won't get started until next month.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page