Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Things that have made the boat better
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/07/2016 :  04:54:46  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
For me, in order:
1) new sails - made the biggest difference in how the boat sailed

2) roller furling - for single handing, number one labor saver. easy stowage and reefing without going on the foredeck saved a lot of time.

3) tillerpilot - I hardly ever use it while sailing. But when I have to power for any distance, it is great. Also great for single handing if you need someone else to steer for a while!

4)lines to the cockpit - Other sailors at the marina are jealous that I dont have to go to the mast to raise the sails.

5)high purchase tackles (outhaul, vang, etc)- My wife and daughter can actually adjust the outhaul when it is 12:1

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2016 :  09:07:06  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Furling rig and halyards leading to the cockpit my boat already had when purchased but these are of great assistance. Tiller Pilot - I am considering...for a long time but for same reasons you stated.

1) A reliable outboard - Replaced finicky outboard 3 mos after I purchased my boat in SEP/OCT 2005.
2) New sails - Replaced originals in 1st/2nd year of boat ownership.
3) Replaced unreliable, oftentimes non-working original depth finder with a fishfinder which has worked out extremely well.
4) Annual pressure washes w/immediate increased sailing speed of ~ 1Knt.
5) Attached fender/bumpers to the dock with SS cable and turnbuckles from forward to aft finger slip cleats maintaining tension/orientation. No need to attend to the fender bumpers when leaving/returning to slip. They are always in place.
6) 20 Watt solar panel - Never brought batteries home for charging and avoided the $20/month dockside electric service.
7) Replaced 2-spring Garhauer outboard bracket w/4-spring initially to facilitate lifting the PO's unreliable 4 stroke and then for lifting the new outboard I had purchased back then.
8) Installed a boom vang - After purchasing boat, found a new boom vang in port bunk storage that was never installed.
9) Added new switch panel - Averted a safety issue with multiple loads ganged up on terminals of the existing switch panel.
10) Replaced all running and standing rigging.
11) Replaced the white life ring held in place by the ladder supports off the transom with a Life Sling. The life ring was always getting rain contamination (enhanced by close proximity to Natl Reagan Airpt) and the line connected to the ring had a slip knot that perhaps would be difficult for others to figure out in an emergency how to deploy the ring. The life-sling is protected from the weather elements in it's cover and one just reaches in and can toss it since the lines are neatly raveled in the bottom of the life-sling cover bag.
12) Removed the Velcro strap that held the ladder against the stern rail. Rigged a line to just above the water surface held in place utilizing a cam cleat to facilitate a swimmer yanking the line out of the cam cleat and then self lowering the ladder. You can partially see the safety line in following link/picture taken during completion of waterproofing bottom.
http://catalina25.homestead.com/IMG_1324.JPG
13) Waterproofing bottom - Major blister removal. My website has pictures from start to finish.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 04/07/2016 09:15:04
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2016 :  10:31:45  Show Profile
Of all the great suggestions listed above, the one that really got my attention was #12 in Larry's post. After losing one of my live-aboard neighbors who fell off the dock while walking his dog late in the evening a few years back, I came up with the same type of solution for my boat. Instead of the more elegant cam cleat arrangement, I simply tied my ladder up with a slip knot on the pulpit, and left the bitter end hanging low enough for someone to grab it and pull the ladder down by releasing the slip knot.
I don't know if any of you has ever had the experience, but another dock neighbor recently went off the dock while checking his Iphone (embarrasing, but it happens!). He's a pretty fit guy, but it was late at night, and he had one hell of a time getting back on the dock. He was quite sobered by the difficulty because someone else was lost in this marina just a couple of years ago in the same type of mishap.
Bottom line, it's a lot harder to get back on a dock than most people realize, and I think it's an underappreciated danger...

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2016 :  10:59:37  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
regarding dock ladders, I think id have to swim to the boat ramp which is a ways away. I think ill make one from 2x4s

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

indecentseas
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2016 :  14:44:16  Show Profile
1. Cloth bags in the hanging locker. I hung about 5 cloth bags from the rod in the hanging locker. Great way to store stuff and keep it organized.
2. Dividers/organizers for icebox and drawers. In the icebox I place two 4 L milk jugs with frozen water in the base. I then lay a plastic cutting board which fits perfectly and is supported by the lip. Onto of the cutting board I put a couple of baskets to keep things organized. It allows me to put more in the icebox and keeps everything organized and accessible.
3. Microfibre cloths.
4. crab trap. Yum.
5. Carabiners to attach my bumpers to the stanchions.
6. Tiller extension and lock box. Battery free autopilot when under sail.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--twist-lock-tiller-extensions--P002_074_001_502
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--tiller-lock-box--190934
7. An iPhone. Seriously, how did you all sail before you had your charts, tide tables, weather forecasts, anchor alarm, phone, and entertainment device all in one tiny package?

David Hopkins
Vancouver, British Columbia
'78 Swing Keel, Standard Rig, Dinette
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2016 :  18:19:09  Show Profile
This is easy, Bimini top, Swim ladder extension and adding extra springs to the motor mount.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2016 :  20:22:28  Show Profile
This is actually incredibly difficult for me. I've looked at this thread and keep trying to come up with what I think has been the best upgrades and really with all the work I've done to our boat and time I've spent enjoying it, the only thing I really think is the best thing that's been done to our boat is us owning it. Over three long years of countless hours enjoying and being it's steward, it's gone from another cheap hole in the water to truly being a great sailing vessel. What really got me was while meeting with a rigger today to discuss some options, he told me that he's never seen a boat like mine cared for the way it has been. I obviously knew what he was talking about and not that he was insulting my make or model or vintage, but rather impressed that a $1500 boat could be something much more. I'm glad that I'm that person to allow something to live on in the best form possible.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

Edited by - DavidBuoy on 04/07/2016 20:23:25
Go to Top of Page

michael.j.wenger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2016 :  20:50:06  Show Profile
Well said, and a fantastic mark to set for all of us.

Michael Wenger
Norman OK (Lake Thunderbird)
"Sea of Tea" (SK/TR)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  04:35:38  Show Profile
That's called pride in your ride. Always nice to get an unprovoked compliment. It makes all of the work worthwhile.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  05:45:11  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
you know, I forgot about the cockpit mounted traveler. Much more adjust ability, and the crew can now reach the mainsheet. Much easier for me as well, and it does not get in the way of the hatch.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  05:59:24  Show Profile
Roller furler
Bulkhead mounted gps
Moving fresh water tank to bow, freed up a lot of space under starboard setee.
And last, proper off shore life jackets.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  09:44:05  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
David's posting is probably one of the best in that what makes the boat better oftentimes is the owner that spends the time to maintain it/improve it. We all have seen boats at out marinas that have been seriously neglected.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2016 :  18:53:27  Show Profile
Yep.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2016 :  08:33:59  Show Profile
I was impressed by all the improvements. I have done a few of them. I am glad I ordered my new sails. They were old and out of shape. Im excited of getting the new ones their on the way.

I will try some of these and definitely concur with the comments on ownership and pride.

Mine is slowly becoming mine. Its not yours when you buy it. its YOURS when theirs skin in the game.

I was surprised not to see any comments on mast gates. I was going to try adding them so I can raise and lower sails more easily. Has anyone tried them. Having lines in the cockpit would be really useful with Mast gates.?

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2016 :  10:30:36  Show Profile
Rum....

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2016 :  12:25:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TCurran

Rum....

And so easy a solution

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2016 :  12:48:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Captmorgan

I was surprised not to see any comments on mast gates. I was going to try adding them so I can raise and lower sails more easily. Has anyone tried them. Having lines in the cockpit would be really useful with Mast gates.?

Without a mast gate, you can't tuck in a reef quickly and neatly. IMO, they ought to be included as standard equipment when you buy a new boat, or at least they should be offered as an option. They weren't even offered in 1981 when I bought my C25. Every sailboat with reef points in the mainsail should have a mast gate.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2016 :  13:33:22  Show Profile
I installed gates back around the time somebody started making and selling the ones CD now sells (maybe made by the same guy). At about the same time I installed clutches, organizers, and a mast base plate to lead lines back, made the topping lift adjustable (primarily for lifting the boom when not under sail), put on a balanced rudder, replaced the interior cushions, put on an electric-start Honda,... Not so noticeable, put on all-rope halyards, new standing rigging, a Racor filter,... Turned a good boat into a nicer one that "Voyager" Bruce continues to improve.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2016 :  22:10:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TCurran

Rum....

I usually dont carry....despite the name

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2016 :  04:58:38  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
If you dont have mast-gates, then I might put that at #1.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2016 :  07:17:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

...unless you have a bolt-rope luff.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2016 :  08:07:20  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

...unless you have a bolt-rope luff.

then definitely a pre-feeder until you can sew on slugs!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2016 :  15:50:36  Show Profile
WIND

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2016 :  15:49:24  Show Profile
Most of the items detailed here are already on my boat.
Major improvements I've made since buying it last July:
1)I installed a two battery charger, so that both batteries will be charged up when at the dock.
2) I've changed out the crappy two lever morse engine controls with a single lever control.

Planned upgrades, the timing is based on cost and how much money I have after my children's expenses:
I intend to change out all the internal lights from the old RV based bulbs to newer LEDs. This will give me more light with a lower power draw.
I intend to install a tiller pilot. I'll probably replace the rudder with a balanced one.
I'm getting a new girlfriend who is hotter than the old one.

I think that's about all I can add to this thread.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

Edited by - SKS on 04/12/2016 23:02:15
Go to Top of Page

JamesBird
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2016 :  17:07:08  Show Profile
Can I have your old girl friend?

Jim
Danvers, MA
79 Cat25/SR/SK/(1185)
Go to Top of Page

Phredde
Navigator

Members Avatar

125 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2016 :  17:32:08  Show Profile
Well...Phredde doesn't have roller furling, new sails or mast gates....yet. But here are a couple that have really worked out well:

1) Balanced rudder. Expensive, but if you need a new rudder anyway, the only way to go IMO.

2) A small solar panel. Spent something like $40, and don't have to worry about charging again.

3) Moped tires. Yep. Went to a moped repair shop and got some used tires; they gave them to me for free. Inserted those into the middle of my dock lines and have been happy ever since. I used to go through dock lines and/or those $50 supposedly heavy duty snubbers on a pretty regular basis. If you also have a lot of surge in your marina, this is a great hack for that and its free.

Wind, wine and the admiral are all givens, but never taken for granted. The one thing Phredde needs is more time. I might have to either quit this job or get my priorities reexamined...or both.

Here is to more sailing this season -

Phredde

Phredde
Catalina 25
San Francisco
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page