Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Polishing the hull
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2016 :  11:40:20  Show Profile

I don't know, I challenge poli-glo to match the crispness of my hull on page 13 here.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

Call me a purist

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 06/14/2016 11:41:17
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2016 :  12:59:59  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by islander

I might try PolyGlo only as a last resort but I don't seem to have as much of a problem with buffing the hull once a year. I just use a buffer and regular automotive Turtle Wax with Carnauba and it takes about an hour to do. The hull has a nice reflective shine after. To me applying PolyGlow is like painting a boat. Not something you want to do for the same reasons but sometimes you don't have a choice.
I also would like to know how well PolyGlow holds up to dock fender rash. Do dock fenders rub it off?
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2016 :  17:54:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

I don't know, I challenge poli-glo to match the crispness of my hull on page 13 here.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

Call me a purist

Very, very nice! One advantage you guys farther North have over us Gulf Coasters is the strength of the sunlight on your gel-coats. If I ever buy another boat I'm going as far North as possible to purchase.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2016 :  15:58:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SKS

WOW, what a company !!!!
I sent an email to the Poli Glow folks to ask them questions regarding my hull and the PoliGlow.
Within 10 minutes, I got a PHONE CALL !!!
That's what I call customer service !!!
Here's the gist of the conversation.
Poli Prep will not strip off the old Poli Glow. Evidently, it did years ago, but they have reformulated the product so that Poli Prep is a cleaner.
They make a product called Poli Strip to strip away the old layers of Poli Glow. To use it, you mix up the Poli Strip with water. They recommend using a spray bottle to apply the product. Only spray an area that you can clean in about 30 seconds. You spray the product on, let it sit for about 20 seconds, then scrub the area. After scrubbing, wash the area down with plenty of water in order to make sure you clean out all the Poli Strip. If it dries before you wash it off, the old PoliGlow will re-deposit on the hull. Once the entire hull has been cleaned with Poli Strip, use Dawn or some other cleaner and wash down the entire hull again.
After completely clean, you can apply the Poli Glow to shine up the hull. Apply 4 coats initially, then one or two coats in subsequent years to freshen the shine.
After about 5 years, you want to strip the Poli Glow, and start all over again.
One mistake that I may have made, you want to apply all the vinyl stickers such as registration numbers or name to a bare hull. If you apply them over Poli Glow, the adhesive may fail when you spray on the Poli Strip. Once the stickers are on teh bare hull, you can apply the Poli Glow to the vinyl stickers as well.
I'm not sure what I'll do. When I clean the hull, I'll try to be careful and not disturb the stickers, If I do, I'll just have to replace them.
As I said, I'm recovering from rotator cuff surgery. That whole wax on, wax off thing isn't working for me now.
I'll wait until next year and sail a less than optimal looking boat for this season.

I had a similar experience. I called very late Thursday, the guy I spoke to said he would try to get the order that day. Took less than 3 minutes on the phone and the kit arrived yesterday. Great service!

Now I have another question. My boat is oxidized about like any '89 that's been in the sun and untouched (as far as getting buffed) for the past 8-1/2 years. Should I have purchased the Poli-Ox also or will the Poli-Prep get the oxidation off well enough to use the Poli-Glow?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page