Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Old Spreader Bracket Removal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trbagpiper
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/01/2016 :  10:02:05  Show Profile
I'm trying to remove the old aluminum spreader brackets on the mast but I'm having a problem. The top 2 bolts came out without a problem. The bottom bolt on the other hand, I have the nut off along with the tangs on one side. The bolt spins but is still pretty tight though and won't come out of the mast. Does anyone know what might be holding this bolt in the mast?

Jim Ventimiglia
Toms River Yacht Club
'78 Cat 25 #945 SK/SR "Pipe Dream"

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2016 :  13:30:13  Show Profile
Mine had a sleeve inside the mast that the bolt went through. Needless to say it was aluminum and a stainless bolt. It corroded and wouldn't release from the sleeve and would just go around and around but wouldn't com out. It is in there to stop from crushing the mast. A lot of WD40 and tapping and I finally got it out. I put anti seize on the new bolt when I replaced it. That was several years ago. I don't know if they were all built that way or not.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2016 :  13:47:17  Show Profile
Yes, as far as I know, the "compression sleeve" is standard, and also included in Catalina Direct's bracket kit. I see CD also includes a gel material that I presume they tell you to coat the bolts with--sounds like a good idea.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

trbagpiper
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2016 :  07:45:32  Show Profile
Thanks. So it's penetrating old and hope for the best then? Ok.

Jim Ventimiglia
Toms River Yacht Club
'78 Cat 25 #945 SK/SR "Pipe Dream"
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2016 :  08:12:33  Show Profile
...such as PB B'Laster Penetrating Catalyst.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2016 :  09:53:05  Show Profile
I have had good results with PB blaster. WD 40 has a new product that is suppose to work very well, haven't tied it yet but I have some projects coming.
Go to Top of Page

JB0101
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2017 :  22:01:36  Show Profile
Removing my spreader compression sleeves. These sleeves are designed differently than others I have seen/read about. Hope someone can offer suggestions on removing. I believe they were beefed up due to a radar mount being installed. It appears to have the spreader upgrade kit installed. Additionally, backing plates are welded on each end of the sleeves. Both backing plates sit flush against the inside walls of the mast. Two of my bolts have become one with their sleeves. I have tried PB blaster, tapping, and twisting. So far all I have accomplished is breaking the welds at the sleeve ends (wish I hadn't). I have began the process of cutting off bolt heads and ends, then hopefully drilling out bolts until they are shorter than the width of the mast interior. Then pulling assembly out the top of the mast. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will update as success or defeats occurs.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2017 :  09:48:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JB0101

Removing my spreader compression sleeves... It appears to have the spreader upgrade kit installed...
So what led you to remove them?

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2017 :  12:26:02  Show Profile
The bottom bolt that is stuck I'm assuming is the bolt that holds the tangs for the shrouds. There is a 1/2" OD compression tube inside the mast that the bolt goes through. If the tube is corroded to the bolt. The bolt will just spin along with the tube but won't come out. PB Blaster and a pin punch might loosen the bolt from the compression tube.
Here is what it looked like was originally.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 01/16/2017 14:14:23
Go to Top of Page

JB0101
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2017 :  17:42:49  Show Profile
Thank you for the replies.
My initial goal was to remove the old, non-repairable radar along with its mount and wiring from the mast. Was expecting to be a very simple task. I thought I could remove the three bolts while holding the two compression tubes in place with length of wire, remove both shroud tangs and then remove the radar bracket. Then install the tangs, and bolts. Plan started off well, the lower 3/8" inch bolt came out fairly easy with light tapping, however the two upper 5/16" bolts (which in the drawing below, should not have compression sleeves) are really stuck in their sleeves. I sent an inspection camera through the radar wiring hole to take a look inside. To my surprise I found the internal backing plates which were welded to all four compression sleeves. Unfortunately through my attempts of tapping and rotating the upper two bolts, I have broken the welds on the upper bolts' compression sleeves. Now I must remove the compression tube assembly to move forward from here, whether I rework the assembly or just get new tubes and assemble per the drawing you included. Sorry for not being clear enough in first post. Hope this makes it clearer. Once again thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page