Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Balanced vs Kick up Rudder
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jduck00
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/21/2016 :  11:42:20  Show Profile
Its time for a new rudder. I've got the plywood core rudder and its getting soft. Its only a matter of time before it makes me call tow boats.

I'm seriously considering paying the extra boat bucks and getting the kick up rudder. For those that don't know, If I jumped overboard 3 miles out at low tide, I'd only be in chest deep water. I've drug the rudder a few times now, but have gotten in the habit of dropping the keel a few turns to protect it a bit. Still, I don't like that it can hit if I forget to lower the keel some.

I've looked at the one on Catalina Direct, and its listed as balanced, but it doesn't look like it has as much rudder in front of the pintles as the regular balanced rudder. For those of you that have them, how do they sail?

My rig is fairly balanced, and I don't have to fight the rudder unless the winds pick up, but it would be nice to have a lighter tiller for the girls.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2016 :  12:13:30  Show Profile
There shouldn't be anything that prevents a rudder from being both balanced and kick-up. The Ruddercraft kick-up rudders are balanced for instance.

I didn't like my Ruddercraft rudder and would look for other options (like Foss Foam), but you should be able to find both characteristics in one rudder.

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2016 :  06:30:53  Show Profile
Where do you sail out of? Sounds like some really shallow waters. Hopefully a soft bottom. If you're planning to keep the boat in the sailing area or even marketing it in that area I would think that the kick-up rudder would be a selling point/feature. Thats like the opposite of trying to sell a boat in the area with a 10' bulb keel. Good luck with that! I love my Foss Foam (Florida, not California) rudder but I am not sure if they make a kick up.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2016 :  08:05:32  Show Profile
I vaguely recall Arlyn Stewart, our past C-250 guru (especially regarding rudders), modifying his kick-up rudder so that it swung down a few degrees past vertical (raked slightly forward) to add some balance. The mod could be pretty simple with a solid HDPE blade, which cuts like very hard soap--you might need to remove a fraction of an inch from the spot that stops the downward motion. (I'd do it in very small increments.) You might want to talk to CD or Ruddercraft about it...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/22/2016 08:06:17
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2016 :  08:13:06  Show Profile
I sail out of Hudson, FL. It's north of Clearwater by about 30 miles or so. Its shallow, but has a soft bottom with the occasional rock. The times I've gotten in trouble is giving way to bigger boats. One of the times, a monster cruiser came down the channel under full power and the wake pushed me out. The channel can get skinny real quick and its easy to run out of it. The shrimpers I meet coming back in pull more draft than I do, and they aren't the kind of fellows that share the channel well. Even if they could give, they wouldn't.

I'll take a look at Foss Foam and see what they offer.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page