Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Butyl tape
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slim
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/14/2016 :  09:52:05  Show Profile
Starting to rebead by deck hardware soon and was wondering if anyone has experance with using butyl tape for this job?

Many thanks Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2016 :  10:27:50  Show Profile
That's all I use now. The only thing that finally stopped my windows from leaking.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2016 :  10:39:44  Show Profile
I've only used it a little, but like it very much. It's easy to work with and seems to work well. One of the best things about it is that, if I only have a small job to do, I don't have to buy an expensive tube of caulk that I won't use, and then waste it from drying out before I'll need it again. Butyl tape seems to have a very long shelf life.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2016 :  11:49:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

...Butyl tape seems to have a very long shelf life.

...which leads to another characteristic some friends of mine have complained about: it never really sets up. Some people like that; others don't. I use polysulfide (Life Caulk), which sets up, stays pliant, and trims and removes easily. Different strokes...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2016 :  18:57:37  Show Profile
Speaking of windows. With heavy rain I get a lot of water from between the rear of the starboard setee and the quarter berth. I have re bed all deck hardware. The windows look good but maybe not. Sound like that could be the source? If forgot to mention it comes from the deck joint area and drips off of the interior trim.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Edited by - Akenumber on 01/14/2016 18:59:36
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2016 :  21:06:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Akenumber

Speaking of windows. With heavy rain I get a lot of water from between the rear of the starboard setee and the quarter berth. I have re bed all deck hardware. The windows look good but maybe not. Sound like that could be the source? If forgot to mention it comes from the deck joint area and drips off of the interior trim.

Sounds familiar--like the bolts holding the genoa track and also reinforcing the hull-deck joint. This is probably not the "kosher" solution, but I removed some bolts in the offending area, injected a little silicone into the holes, and re-bolted (a messy 2-man job). It worked. That's just about the only place I've used silicone sealer on the boat, but it's not exposed to UV and should never need to be removed or cleaned up... I'll accept whatever demerits this community (or "Voyager" Bruce Ross) sees fit to deal out.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2016 :  18:56:47  Show Profile
So, you did have a similar leak from the Genoa track? I didn't think about those being an issue.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2016 :  19:52:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Akenumber

So, you did have a similar leak from the Genoa track? I didn't think about those being an issue.
If you're asking me, yes--apparently so. Each bolt holding the track goes through the deck, reinforcing the hull-deck joint. So each bolt is a potential leak. The better remedy is probably to remove the entire track and then re-bed it. I wasn't up for that at the time.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/18/2016 19:53:54
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2016 :  19:56:48  Show Profile
Ya, seems like a lot of work. I re bed everything but the tracks and windows.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Rainwater
Deckhand

Members Avatar

22 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2016 :  17:39:19  Show Profile
I used byutal to rebed my windows. The one thing I noticed was the wood been the inner and outer fiberglass was rotted and turned to powder. I filled in the gap with new wood and epoxy reseated the windows and took two days to slowly tighten the frames. Haven't had a leak since.

"Lisa Rene"-1978 C25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page