Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Dinette table attachment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

F16cla1
Deckhand

Member Avatar

8 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/12/2016 :  20:07:34  Show Profile
So we have the dinette layout. Our table has the stock L shaped brackets that drop in to the slots on the wall. Every time someone comes on the boat they put pressure on the edge of the table and it flips up at them as any uneven pressure causes the brackets to come out as the table rotates from side to side. Anyone have any fixes to secure the table further short of just the metal L brackets? Saw a new Catalina with a similar table but they now added some sort of locking bracket and the L ones. I've found these on Catalina direct but I was hoping for maybe some homemade solutions before I give in and pay the $30 for a small plastic bracket.

Thanks!!!

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2016 :  21:14:07  Show Profile
I used a piece of cedar shingle as a wedge inserted from the top against the side wall. Not as elegant as the CD solution, but it worked.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2016 :  04:36:48  Show Profile
I took a piece of teak about 1-1/2 inches square the length of the table when folded. I placed two dowel rods in the piece of teak and drilled two corresponding holes in the bulkhead. when table is down the dowel rods are inserted in the holes. This holds the table in the brackets. When the table is folded the piece is inserted on the head side of the bulkhead for storage. I added finish to the inside of the holes and teak and added enough to the rods to make them tight in the holes. This has worked since I have had the boat.
I do not have any photos of this.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

Edited by - hewebb on 02/02/2016 05:09:17
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2016 :  13:07:51  Show Profile
I used a brass sliding bolt like this one, attached to the underside of the table. Only made the hole into which it slides partway through the bulkhead so that it didn't show in the head. It has worked well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-4-in-Solid-Brass-Surface-Bolt-U-9961/100159107

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2016 :  19:31:41  Show Profile
Seth, did you attach the sliding bolt in the center of the table's width?

Has anyone in our group cut the table shorter (less long) and attached a piano hinge to the bulkhead/table? I suppose it would require a wooden block to hold the hinge out the thickness of the table (due to the folded half of the table that meets the bulkhead).

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2016 :  22:11:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dalelargent

Has anyone in our group cut the table shorter (less long) and attached a piano hinge to the bulkhead/table? I suppose it would require a wooden block to hold the hinge out the thickness of the table (due to the folded half of the table that meets the bulkhead).

That would seem to eliminate the option of dropping the table to the seat level. Doing so makes a berth only for a very short person or two, but it also positions the table to contribute to an awthwartship queen-sized bed with the addition of a small bridge. I shortened the secondary quarterberth cushion to cover that bridge. Note that the table can sit on the indents on both dinette seat edges, so to be able to fold it down, you'd have to cut it narrower.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/13/2016 22:22:30
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2016 :  07:46:51  Show Profile
Dave - from the description it appears this is not the dinette model but the standard layout in which the table is attached to the bulkhead.

Dale - yes several of us have done what you are suggesting. Search the Tech tips, archives, or possibly photo albums for examples. Works great.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2016 :  11:58:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by glivs

Dave - from the description it appears this is not the dinette model but the standard layout in which the table is attached to the bulkhead.
Maybe, but his description perfectly fits the dinette arrangement, where little brackets on the edge of the table fit into slotted fittings against the side wall, and can lift out when somebody leans on the outside end (or corner) of the table, which is common since the table doesn't fold out of the way. Many of us have also contemplated shortening the table (and some have done it) to widen the aisle through the salon.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/14/2016 17:43:55
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2016 :  17:04:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dalelargent

Seth, did you attach the sliding bolt in the center of the table's width?

Dale, I attached it near the right bracket. I thought this would provide the best leverage, and make it easy to reach.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/14/2016 :  17:34:31  Show Profile
OK folks--lots of ideas here, but I think it's being confused by the two (or even three) interiors being discussed. The originator says his is the dinette, and his description matches that, including the reference to CD's remedy which is specifically for the dinette. I suggest we stick to the dinette issue unless F16cla1 says otherwise so he's not completely puzzled.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/14/2016 17:36:58
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2016 :  05:14:35  Show Profile
My bad Dave - I didn't realize that the dinette and traditional layout tables use what appears to be identical attachments.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2016 :  07:32:09  Show Profile
If that's the case, carry on... CD's description of their kit indicates it's specifically for the dinette interior (on several models), so I presumed that was different from the traditional. My only experience is with the dinette, which is designed to be lowered to the seat level for use as a (sort of) berth.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/15/2016 07:34:16
Go to Top of Page

F16cla1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

8 Posts

Response Posted - 01/15/2016 :  20:28:41  Show Profile
All this has been super helpful. Have a long to do list for the spring and this table issue is in the top 3. Thanks everyone for the ideas.
Go to Top of Page

F16cla1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

8 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2016 :  20:17:53  Show Profile
All this has been super helpful. Have a long to do list for the spring and this table issue is in the top 3. Thanks everyone for the ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2016 :  21:30:52  Show Profile
I'm planning a serious modification to the dinette table on David's former boat Passage. While I like the fact that the table moves down between the bench seats and creates a queen sized bed area that's great for couples sleeping out on the boat, its a space-hog and pretty unusable as a dinette table.
My first thought is to shorten up the table from 42 inches abeam to about 30 inches, similar to Scott Islander's table. I'd keep a filler board to create a queen size area in the down position.
A more radical revision is to eliminate the aft seat and turn that into a table surface, while creating a port-side settee as a wrap around seat.
I plan to experiment with some scrap 5/8" plywood when the weather improves in March and April...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2016 :  20:16:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

There are holes in the brackets that allow a pin to lock the bracket. Since they are mounted against a bulkhead you only need to drill on through into the head.
...except if he has the dinette model, as he says, he would drill through the port side hull liner (being careful not to get the hull).

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2016 :  19:13:42  Show Profile
I used the CD retrofit and it works great. You could probably find it a little cheaper as it is not custom parts. On my C22 with dinette it had brackets with a pin, but I could not find anything like that when I was upgrading the C25.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2016 :  18:08:52  Show Profile

Don Lucier

North Star SR/FK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page