Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Power inverters
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/16/2015 :  18:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,
I'm considering getting a 12 volt power inverter and would like to know if any of you are using one while out on the water.I currently have two group 24 batteries and I am concerned about the power drain while using it and not charging at the time. I'm thinking it might be better to just wait to use whatever appliances until I have shore power available. Any advice will as always be appreciated. Thanks.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2015 :  19:29:00  Show Profile
What are you thinking about using it for, and realistically, how often would you use it away from shore power? You can cook or heat water with inexpensive propane or alcohol stoves, you can watch a 12 volt tv, or a 12 volt video player, you can use 12 volt fans, you can recharge cellphones and laptop computers either from 12 volt or from power banks, etc. I considered using an inverter and finally decided that I could do anything I wanted to do except run an air conditioner , and, if I want to do that, I need an auxiliary generator. IMO, if the boat has good ventilation and a couple 12 volt fans, you can get by without AC.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2015 :  21:51:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

...IMO, if the boat has good ventilation and a couple 12 volt fans, you can get by without AC.
Yup--I don't even have a shore power system on my 27' $+!nkp*+. Just a butane stove, 12V fan, phone/pad charging cable, battery-powered boombox,...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2015 :  22:22:04  Show Profile
I use an inverter to charge my computer, occasionally run a small shopvac that, unlike 12V and rechargeables, actually sucks things up. Sometimes a fan that quietly moves a large volume of air is nice too. Running a short, heavy cable to an inverter is easier than supplying a moderately high wattage item in different areas. It takes a bigger wire to supply 10A @ 12v than 1A at 120. There is a slight loss in the inverter, and 120V requires caution, but, it is useful for some of us. They aren't for big things, a 10A air conditioner pulls 100A from the battery, but running a more powerful tool for less time can often save precious amps. It takes some kind of stepup device even to charge an 18V battery.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 12/16/2015 22:30:15
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 12/17/2015 :  23:55:37  Show Profile
Greetings,
I installed a fairly inexpensive one from Harbor-Freight - it was under a $100 on sale. It handles 1000 watts continuous with a 2000 watt peak. I use it for a vac, a buffer, a drill and to power a small led TV while on the hook. I don't use it much underway but it's way handy while on the mooring. A word of caution, the ones from HF have less than adequate connections, make an extra effort in the wiring. I used #8 wire. As mentioned they do draw a lot of juice if powering something greater than 300 watts [300w = 25 amps @ 12 v]. To charge the batteries I use a 2'x2' solar panel which keeps my 2 fully charged.
Good luck.
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2015 :  05:35:41  Show Profile
I also have a HF 1000 watt inverter on the boat. We only use it for a small coffee maker and to make toast in the mornings when on the hook. As mentioned the cable connections need to be robust. I don't remember what size cable I used exactly, but I do remember that they cost almost as much as the inverter......

If I find that I need more power, one day, I will upgrade to one of the expensive inverter/charger units. But for now this model works.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2015 :  06:25:25  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Guys,

Sorry to take so long to respond. Its our busy season for truck drivers. Thanks for all of your opinions and advice. I'm starting to think that maybe I would be better off to just wait for those kind of power needs until back at the slip and available shore power.
It would just be nice to have while on a mooring off Catalina. The solar panels were an interesting idea. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2015 :  09:19:21  Show Profile
If you do many overnights or multiple days out an alternative to a power inverter is a small portable generator. I have a Honda EU2000 that I can set up on the fordeck and run a power cord to my shore power inlet. Gives me 13.5 amps at the outlets. Plenty enough for coffee makers,Microwaves,TV's even a toaster oven and it can charge your batterys if needed. They are also very quiet when running (59db) The Honda is pricey but they now have plenty of knock offs at reasonable prices.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2015 :  20:56:59  Show Profile
Be sure to add a CO meter to the price. Ahh, knockoffs! I'm not one of those wild-eyed Honda fanatics, but they certainly know how to make a quiet small engine.

edit: Except, maybe, for that little outboard

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 12/21/2015 20:58:46
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2016 :  21:42:30  Show Profile
Dave B, I have to agree with you. The Honda generator is as quiet as a church mouse, but the outboard????!!! It sounds like a freakin' Mack Truck.

Can't listen to my FM radio without earphones when it's running.

Could never find the source of the noise but it seems like its rattling every loose object on the boat, and all it's plastic parts. Guess it comes with the territory, but PLUH-LEEZE! somebody tell me how to quiet down an 8HP Honda outboard. Loosens my dental fillings and drives me nuts!!!!

A small generator makes a perfect addition for people who want to use a toaster, electric coffee maker, notebook computer or 120 VAC fan.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 01/16/2016 21:45:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page