Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Cushion Upholstery
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/01/2015 :  12:52:00  Show Profile
Finally bit the bullet and sent all the cabin cushions out to be reupholstered. They were #1 priority to refinish for the g/f when we first got the boat 3 years ago and about #94 for me. I was too concerned with making the boat actually sail than having nice cushions but finally they've made it onto the project docket!

Found a good upholstery guy that does boats and R/Vs through my dad who just had him redo everything in his R/V. He did a really good job and impressed me so we decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. Wont have them finished until February because of all the projects he has currently but its off season anyway. Got what I think is a really good price to do all 9 cushions (boat is a traditional interior) of $1,750.

Decided to go with two types of fabrics depending of the use of the seating and conditions. Doing a blue and white striped sunbrella in the V-berth that is actually pretty soft so that we can sleep comfortably, a blue vinyl in the main cabin that is still soft enough to sit, but cleans up very well and will fair well against the water that leaks in the ports, and the same vinyl in the aft cabin as we typically use it for storage unless we have another couple on the boat in which case we can put a sheet over it to make it better to sleep on.

Really excited and am looking forward to having them completed for next season! I will add photos once they are in place and update the thread. For context below is a photo of the interior currently and one of the plan I gave to the upholsterer for reference.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

RickR
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2015 :  13:23:27  Show Profile
Congrats!! Money well spent!

RickR
Jamestown, NY
81 C25/SK/SR/Trad #2668
"Vind Dansor"
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2015 :  23:10:26  Show Profile
Not bad, considering what we spent in 1990 for a 12-cushion dinette interior. We added an inch to the thickness of the berth and seat cushions, plus a layer of "fiber" furniture padding on top of the foam. Nice upgrades. (Ask Bruce "Voyager" Ross.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2015 :  04:13:33  Show Profile
The admiral had ours done as a priority shortly after we got the boat. I have to say they look great. She bought the material from Sunbrela and the shop that did the interior in my roadster did the sewing. If I had it to do again I would add a thin heavy dense foam to the lower side in sleeping area cushions.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2015 :  08:33:13  Show Profile
If anyone is interested in the old covers, I will have them available early spring. Not a single tear anywhere and all zippers/snaps are in place. Actually great condition and cleaned up will look new (circa '70), just was ready for an update.

Thanks,
Rob

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2015 :  08:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello again David,

I see we have similar projects to do. I too will be doing a cushion and upholstery replacement. But it is nearly last on my list. Like you, my first concern is getting the boat sea worthy again. I just finished getting the new frameless ports installed. Now I'm moving on to the bulkhead replacement.
I have a website address for you about cushion foam well worth reading.http://sundownersailsagain.com/boat-cushions-mattresses/. when I do mine, I will be using 1 inch of high density foam under 3 inches of 33-34 density foam for a total of 4 inches on all seat/bed cushions. All back cushions will remain 3 inches. I have an "L" shaped dinette so I have 13 cushions.
Great price on your upholstery. Hiope I do as well. Did that include new foam or covers only? BTW, tell your GF to stop talking to mine......they both chose the same blue and white striped fabric. Good luck. Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2015 :  09:28:36  Show Profile
I would definitely add an inch to the foam since your at it.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2015 :  07:14:43  Show Profile
Thought I'd pass this along for a data point. This is from an e-mail in 2009.

Thank you for your call about new cushions for your 1979 Catalina 25.

Choices are 3" or 4" foam, Grade A or B.
Fabrics for practicality are Marine Grade Vinyl or Sunbrella Exterior Grade.
Prices range from $1748- 2246 depending on the choices above. Other fabrics are available at more cost.

My recommendations are that you will be fine with a B Grade foam in 4" or an A grade foam in 3".

Colors are viewable on the website. However, I will send you some fabric samples.

Cockpit cushions: 2" flotation foam and Vinyl covers $516
Or Sunbrella covers $593

If you decide to go with the full set of interior and exterior cushions, we can certainly discount your order by 10%!

Attached, for your convenience is a credit card authorization form when you are ready to get started. Please fax it back to me or call if you prefer with your card details. The balance is due on completion together with the shipping. Finished production is about 4-5 weeks out.

Let me know if the fabric samples are suitable.

Regards,
Jane

Jane Vanse (727 415 8774 cell)
jane@newjsi.com
Island Nautical/JSI
2233 3rd Ave South
St Petersburg, Fl 33712
1 800 652 4914
727 577 3220 Fax: 727 577 6816
www.newjsi.com

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2015 :  04:44:45  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I have been thinking about replacing my interior and maybe also the exterior cushions. So, the info in this posting is of interest to me. Maybe it will move me toward doing something. I see that Island Nautical appears to be the maker of Catalina cushions and some other boat mfr's cushions as well. Their website does not appear to show the colors/patterns/examples of the various matls that cushions can be made up in. It only shows some examples of some boats that they produced cushions. Is there perhaps a section of their website where I missed this info - An index of the colors and matls ? I was also wondering if they have the stock patterns for say the 1989 Catalina which looks very similar if not the same as what I saw in David's photos for I guess a 1985....or does everyone have to go thru the "patterning" process to determine actual size/configuration for the new cushions to be manufactured. I am also wondering if just 2 or 3 of us want to place orders around same time, if they would offer a special discount for a sort of group order...even though each of us would do our own separate ordering.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2015 :  08:43:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

...I see that Island Nautical appears to be the maker of Catalina cushions and some other boat mfr's cushions as well. Their website does not appear to show the colors/patterns/examples of the various matls that cushions can be made up in. It only shows some examples of some boats that they produced cushions...
I suspect that's because their business is exterior canvas (including cockpit cushions)--so they're showing you their work. I didn't see any pages on their site having anything to do with interior uphostery. I'll bet Catalina uses somebody closer to their plant for interiors, or does it themselves.

Transportation of a set of C-25 interior cushions from NYC could get pretty pricey. I'd visit your local auto/boat upholstery shop, where they'll have more material choices than you can handle, can discuss foam thicknesses and densities with you (we went with 4" medium), and offer other options such as piping, vinyl or nylon mesh bottoms, and (as we got) fiber furniture matting on top of the foam for the berths and seat bottoms. Our material was a linen-like Sunbrella upholstery fabric--softer than their exterior canvas but very sturdy and cleanable.

CD used to sell interior cushions, but again, I suspect the cross-country shipping would make any price they could offer noncompetitive.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2015 :  09:35:46  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Dave - Thanks for the input. I guess for now, I will continue to collect info. A few years ago when I completed my extended bunk project, I recall ordering custom configured cushion covered with microfiber in a pacific blue color. It turned out great and it was a consisted of the main cushion and a small add-on cushion. I have to dig up the paperwork because they may have changed their name or website. But I probably could check locally as well.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2015 :  18:36:08  Show Profile
Five years ago I bit the bullet and replaced my interior cushions -- some of the best money spent as the boat looks far better and is much more comfortable. At the time I contacted Catalina and Catalina Direct however the best option was using a marine interior/canvas guy in Glen Cove on Long Island who's name John Gisondi gave me. I would -- and will on any future boat -- use him again. Most important is that sometimes, thee luxurious albeit pricy upgrades make all the difference and bring joy!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 12/11/2015 18:46:54
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2016 :  15:52:57  Show Profile
Have an update for this thread. Today I received the two quarter berth cushions and two main cabin seat cushions. I will update with some new photos when I get the rest next week! There are some wrinkles which should come out pretty easily. Excited to finally get them all in!

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  06:40:42  Show Profile
Got the backs in and snaps fitted while on the boat so they lined up right. Next week the v-berth will be ready!

Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2016 :  06:49:23  Show Profile
Nice! I'm jealous.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2016 :  03:22:35  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
David,

I think my interior on my '89 looks like it is same config/dimensions as yours. If that's true....and I finally get off the die to replace the upholstery, it would seem like an easy order if they saved all your dimensions. I guess the only issue would be the location of the specific snaps on the backs of the uprights. Maybe I could send them the covers minus the inner fabric and tell them to make it basically same dimensions. What you think ? Yours came out great ! I'm thinking - Why mess around with success.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2016 :  05:19:21  Show Profile
I'll be honest, I wouldn't recommend dealing with the person I did. So far it's worked out but it's been a real hassle to get this guy on the ball. Can't beat the price but I couldn't honestly recommend him and feel good about it. Also, He's done it as a one off so doubtful that it was setup to be repeatable. Like I said though, $1,500 for the whole job is worth it for me to deal with the guy but I cannot say it would be the same for others as we have him on the hook for other upholstry jobs including my old man's RV and the interior on his 1959 ford pickup.

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2016 :  07:51:24  Show Profile
Finally got the last of the cushions in and think they turned out great! Got them just in time for Memorial Day weekend where we just got back from anchoring out at a local island which was a great time!

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2016 :  19:48:05  Show Profile
Turned out really nice!

My boat had new cushions when I bought it. Since I sail solo all the time and usually spend the night on the boat sleeping on an air mattress setup across the boat I brought them home shortly after I bought it in '07. They've been stored in one of the upstairs bedrooms ever since. Still look like new.

How did you shoot the picture above, selfie stick?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2016 :  06:32:35  Show Profile
quote:
Not bad, considering what we spent in 1990 for a 12-cushion dinette interior. We added an inch to the thickness of the berth and seat cushions, plus a layer of "fiber" furniture padding on top of the foam. Nice upgrades. (Ask Bruce "Voyager" Ross.) - Stinkpotter

As Dave mentioned the cushions he had made for Passage and now they're over a decade old. I had not done much to them over the years, but I always put them in my garage loft off season so they'd be out of the elements for 6 months at least. I'd spot clean them from time to time if any schmutz got on them from dining, etc. But in the past two weeks I've taken a bottle of resolve carpet and upholstery cleaner and a stiff brush to them a few times. Then after they dry out, I vacuumed the residual soap out of the fabric. No more stains or splotches. While not "brand new" they cleaned up very nicely. And with the thicker padding, they are very comfortable!

Discretion being the better part of valor and not to steal anybody's thunder showing their beautiful new interior cushions I'll NOT post pix.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 06/16/2016 09:05:14
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2016 :  07:02:05  Show Profile
Do they have zippers on them? Maybe throw them in the washing machine on a light cycle then air dry?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2016 :  09:10:51  Show Profile
Scott - they do have zippers but they are cloth on the front / top and vinyl fabric on the reverse side. I'm afraid that they could be damaged in the wash. The outsides look great once again using Resolve, the insides could be fresher. That said, perhaps this coming winter I can remove the covers and let the stuffing air out in the loft. Then there's always Febreze ;-)

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2016 :  12:44:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Discretion being the better part of valor and not to steal anybody's thunder showing their beautiful new interior cushions I'll NOT post pix.
OK, then shamelessly, I will...

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/16/2016 12:45:12
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2016 :  13:48:29  Show Profile
Nice!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page