Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Front Hatch Gasket Replacement
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/17/2015 :  05:00:01  Show Profile
Ordered the gasket and glues from Catalina Direct. Was really worried the old gasket was gonna be a bear to remove but it pulled out of the groove easily.

Dry fitted the new gasket and trimmed the end. Removed the gasket and put the glue in the bottom of the grove and inserted the gasket and superglued the ends. closed the hatch and noted the gaps.. ( adding a paper towel patch over the superglued ends so it would not glue to the hatch top ) Opened the hatch and pulled the gasket up in the groove a little in areas that had gaps. Repeat. Worked quickly before the rubber gasket glue sets up.

Then I added a bead of the gasket glue to each side of the gasket at the rim of the groove. Then I left the hatch open a while to let the edge glue set up

One place had excessive glue oozing out from the first application of glue in the groove the had to be wiped away, so I'd recommend going light in the bottom of the groove. The glue comes out and starts to act like rubber almost immediately. Works great but hard to clean up if you overdo it.

Both the gasket and the glues that Catalina Direct supplied are perfect. The rubber gasket glue is sweet.

One less leak.... ( it's a dry boat said the previous owner, smiling, on the day of the sale.. )

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 11/18/2015 14:05:33

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2015 :  06:53:13  Show Profile
This has always been my only leak that I've been putting off since ownership. Sounds like it's not a bad task. Thanks for the write-up.

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2015 :  11:13:22  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Thanks for the info. Not too many discussions on Hatch gaskets. Great that Catalina Direct supports the gasket replacement.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2015 :  18:43:54  Show Profile
My forward hatch is not my prime suspect, but as long as the leaking/leaked? water is fresh (I sail on salt water) I am happy. The hull is sound, just those darned windows, hatch boards, hatches, vents . . . .

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page