Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Galley Sink Drain
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RickR
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/10/2015 :  17:29:37  Show Profile
Somehow the drain assembly plastic flange snapped off on my galley sink. I found the replacement at CD no problem. I was looking in the owners manual to see where/how the plumbing goes. Hence the question: Can someone explain to me how that Through Hull Valve works? How can the sink drain to a through hull below the water line? The ice box drains there as well but with a check valve inline. Am I reading the drawings wrong or is the theory of hydraulics is escaping me...

RickR
Jamestown, NY
81 C25/SK/SR/Trad #2668
"Vind Dansor"

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2015 :  18:20:27  Show Profile
No your reading it right. The sink is just barely above the waterline and that is why they drain slowly, But they do drain because it is higher than the waterline and any liquid always seeks to level itself. Because of that it doesn't matter where the through hull is placed but they probably put it at the bottom of the hull so it can never get higher than the sink when heeling causing water to flow in. The icebox has a check valve because when heeling to port the box goes below the waterline being farther out from the center line of the boat and would fill with water without the check valve preventing that from happening. The drain line is always full of water up to the waterline of the boat.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/11/2015 06:35:18
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2015 :  14:22:23  Show Profile
The water pressure often isn't enough to really close the check valve on the icebox. I recommend replacing it with a ball valve and only opening it when you need to drain the icebox (the icebox also works better with some ice cold water in there from the melting ice).

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page

RickR
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2015 :  17:19:57  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice !!

RickR
Jamestown, NY
81 C25/SK/SR/Trad #2668
"Vind Dansor"
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2015 :  19:47:16  Show Profile
I just put lever actuated expanding plug in the icebox after determining that the internals of the flap valve had deteriorated. Its cheap and convenient, taking about 3 seconds to insert and lock or unlock and remove instead of standing on my head to reach a valve under the icebox.

edit: Incidentally, I was never aware of a water backflow into the icebox, even with gunnels awash, but the sink had a tendency to drain into it. There was never residual algae from Lake Erie or saltwater from the Gulf. Is everyone's drain in the forward, inboard corner of the box?

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 11/11/2015 20:01:52
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2015 :  07:29:06  Show Profile
quote:
Is everyone's drain in the forward, inboard corner of the box?

Yep, Thats where mine is. We only use the ice box for dry storage but before I plugged the drain we were getting water in it on aggressive sailing days so I figure that backflow valve is probably shot on my boat also.

Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2015 :  09:26:40  Show Profile
My icebox would get lake or sound water in it if the boat was heeled more than about 10-15 degrees.

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2015 :  21:28:23  Show Profile
A check valve stands little chance in saltwater, due to crusting and growth. More likely it will keep the icebox from draining--there's not much vertical "head" between it and sea level to make gravity do its thing.

For good flow from the sink, make sure there are no upward bends in the hose. If air gets caught in a high spot, it can block the flow until water from the sink pushes it all the way down through the thru-hull, which can be also unlikely because there's so little head involved. You want the straightest possible run. Same with the icebox, and you might as well lose the check valve.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

RickR
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2015 :  05:04:29  Show Profile
Looks like maybe a rubber stopper for both is the easiest way to go..thanks for all the great comments...

RickR
Jamestown, NY
81 C25/SK/SR/Trad #2668
"Vind Dansor"
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2015 :  07:06:26  Show Profile
Since the through hull is only a 1/2" opening it doesn't take much to clog. Take a plunger or like I did was to use an airhorn over the sink drain and give it a good blast to blow anything out of the line. Make sure you block the ice box drain with your thumb or something when you do this so the air goes through the line and not back up the icebox drain. Do the same to the icebox drain. Every little bit helps in getting them to drain the best they can.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page