Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Lazy Jack
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Digger
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/21/2015 :  08:19:58  Show Profile
Most of the time I am sailing solo and a lazy Jack appears to be an attractive solution to taking down the main sail. The one offered by Catalina Direct seems to be a pretty good buy. I am wondering what advice the community might have. What are the pros and cons of a lazy jack? And is there a recommended one available. I thought about designing my own but don't think I need to reinvent anything.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2015 :  14:58:11  Show Profile
Check the archives. Lots of variations on a theme. I prefer a bungy when I douse but to each their own.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2015 :  03:58:36  Show Profile
I sailed a friends Catalina 310 last week that had a Dutchman system that I really liked. It seemed to work better than lazy jacks. It does require some sail work and a mod to the sail cover.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2015 :  05:55:38  Show Profile
Use the Search function above, looking for "lazy" in the C-25 forum, select "Entire Message" and check "Archived Posts". Lots there, including DIY versions.

You'll rarely go wrong with CD's offerings, although you can sometimes beat their prices (if you can figure out the best configuration for the C-25, which CD has done for you.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/22/2015 05:57:00
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2015 :  07:00:18  Show Profile
Just a FYI...Unless your sail falls fully down, Having lazy jacks will still require you to go to the mast and pull down the remaining 1/3 of the sail so it won't get pulled out of the lazy jacks cradle by the wind. My sail never fully falls down, The sail is just not that heavy to overcome the friction of the slugs and halyard. You could possibly rig a down haul line to the slug below the headboard and run it back to the cockpit to fully lower the sail. On the other hand the jacks will keep the sail from falling into the cockpit.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2015 :  07:11:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

...You could possibly rig a down haul line to the slug below the headboard and run it back to the cockpit to fully lower the sail...

I did that--it helped.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2015 :  17:27:18  Show Profile
IMHO The downhaul is a "gotta have" and is a no brainer to rig into the cockpit.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2015 :  17:59:21  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips. A downhaul might be helpful and easy to rig. I'll look in the archives. So far dousing the main hasn't been too difficult or inconvenient. I may just continue doing that.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2015 :  18:19:43  Show Profile
Lazy jacks keep the sail from falling onto the cabintop and into the cockpit, but they can also impede the gravitational drop somewhat. The "downhaul" (which I called the "dousing line" to distinguish from the boom downhaul) might be even more useful with lazy jacks to get the sail all the way down without going up on the cabintop, if that's useful to you.

Scott mentioned attaching the line to the slug below the headboard--that keeps the line from pulling the headboard to one side, which will cause the upper slug to bind and can make dousing harder rather than easier. It shouldn't be attached where the halyard is.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/25/2015 18:23:38
Go to Top of Page

tweeet65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2015 :  10:21:58  Show Profile
The commercially available ones are very expensive. Easy to assemble the components and make your own. I sail mostly solo and the jacks sure making lowering and flaking the main easier.
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2015 :  18:56:43  Show Profile
My lazy Jacks got fouled accidentally the last time I stepped my mast. I removed them and have been much happier ever since. A lot less fouling going up and down. Then again, I always have a first mate. But in my opinion lazy Jacks on a c25 are way over rated.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2015 :  06:35:11  Show Profile
quote:
A lot less fouling going up and down. Then again, I always have a first mate. But in my opinion lazy Jacks on a c25 are way over rated.

Same reason I removed my Jacks. When raising the sail, The headboard would get jammed between the Jack line and the mast where the jacks are attached to the mast. That meant I had to stop raising the sail,Go forward and pull the sail down to release the fouling and try again. When the headboard got to that area I had to try and time the fluttering of the headboard and give the halyard a quick pull to get it past that area. Also since the sail never fully came down into the jacks when lowering, I Didn't see the benefit. I got fed up with them and removed them. I have the Bimini anyhow to keep the sail out of the cockpit when I lower it.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2015 :  19:35:41  Show Profile
So . . . . gotta ask . . . . has anyone used a "frenchman" system other C25 and if so, was it worth it? FWIW -- when younger none of these modern conveniences were worth it, as I age, I am constantly amazed at what I will now consider as "essential" vs "frivolous" . . . . . oh my, I am sounding to be in the Geritol generation!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2015 :  13:18:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

So . . . . gotta ask . . . . has anyone used a "frenchman" system other C25 and if so, was it worth it? FWIW -- when younger none of these modern conveniences were worth it, as I age, I am constantly amazed at what I will now consider as "essential" vs "frivolous" . . . . . oh my, I am sounding to be in the Geritol generation!

I'm sorry, but I do not know what a "Frenchman" system is. Please enlighten me.
I started this discussion asking about lazy jacks and have decided for now at least, that I don't want them on my boat. Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. You have been very helpful.
Steve

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2015 :  14:15:42  Show Profile
Steve -- FYI -- the "frenchman" system has grommeted holes in the sail with line going through s when you flake the sail it -- supposedly -- automagically flakes properly. Morroften found on larger causing boats.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2015 :  14:22:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Steve -- FYI -- the "frenchman" system has grommeted holes in the sail with line going through s when you flake the sail it -- supposedly -- automagically flakes properly. Morroften found on larger causing boats.

Good. Thanks for the information. I have seen illustrations with that system but did not remember the nomenclature. There is a lot I do not know!

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2015 :  16:00:37  Show Profile
I thought it was called Dutchman flaking.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/12/2015 :  21:41:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

I thought it was called Dutchman flaking.

Me too--unless somebody has a rip-off called Frenchman. The Dutchman system is more expensive and involves modifications to the sail and the topping lift, but flakes the sail as it comes down, and doesn't catch on the leech or a batten when hoisting or dousing. It's most worth considering when buying a new main.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/12/2015 21:42:38
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2015 :  09:15:18  Show Profile
whoops -- yes, my apology -- it is Dutchman. A senior moment!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page