Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 my boom brake tested
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/20/2015 :  04:10:42  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
Put this together a few weeks ago following an earlier thread. Got a chance to test it yesterday. The first time I only tightened it down hand tight, and the boom gybed across as fast as ever. I then tightened it down with my secondary winch and when I gybed, the boom came across sedately. I imagine that if I used a larger and fuzzier control line I might get more friction and be able to lock it down completely. Both the end and the turning block on the control line are attached to the stanchion with snap shackles.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2015 :  07:47:27  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Cool, I have that climbing "8" gizmo too, but forget it home when I was sailing this season. Good to know it works, but I would attach the lines more to the sides of the cabin.
Maybe it's possible to wrap the lines more times inside the loop?

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 08/20/2015 07:48:59
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2015 :  13:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Test of the "expensive" preventers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcYwwinFO4U

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2015 :  15:29:05  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I think Tomas has a point, if you rigged the descender so the lines came out of it closer to perpendicular to the body of the "8", you'd probably get more control.

You could also try a "rescue 8" which has more bearing surface as it's designed to allow you to brake for you and your rescue-ee.

A third option would be to make a double carabiner brake, which is how I learned to rappel oh so many moons ago. You could adjust the friction by adding more carabiners to the brake as necessary.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page