Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Wing keel bilge pump hose
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ct95949
Captain

Member Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/02/2015 :  12:11:55  Show Profile
The old corrugated bilge pump hose was cracked and leaking so I'm trying to replace it with 1" smooth hose. The old hose was hard to pull out of the tight passage that's between the cabin sole and the hull. The hose ran from the bilge aft to the transom discharge. So far I haven't been able to get the new hose in, even pulling with a line on one end and pushing on the other.
You can see the problem below. I have a small bilge pump with a 1-1/8" discharge that reduces down to 1" and has worked well. Has any one else had this problem? I'm thinking about cutting an inspection hole under the ladder where the problem is, any thoughts?
Thanks, Craig.

'90 SR/WK #6017. PO of '79 SR/SK.

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2015 :  19:27:38  Show Profile
Maybe try boiling some water and stick the end of the hose in for a short time to soften it. Might make it fit the area it has to slide thru.

Maybe lube it up real good with the gel they use on electrical wiring to pull it thru conduit. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2015 :  22:47:14  Show Profile
I did have some anti-seize lube on the end of the hose but I might try the conduit gel. I have some left over from a job and that stuff is really slick.

Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2015 :  06:45:35  Show Profile
Might be easier to fix your leaks. I never saw anything but dust in my bilge.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2015 :  18:07:56  Show Profile
Who said I had any leaks? I had a bilge pump on my old boat and this boat came with one. I have only tested the pump by running water into bilge.
I just thought that maybe another wing keel owner had put a pump in their bilge and had some info on running the hose back to the transom.
But thanks for the reply Frank .

Edited by - ct95949 on 08/05/2015 18:12:15
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2015 :  02:33:25  Show Profile
Apparently the hulls have changed. I added an automatic bilge pump and did not have an issue running the additional hose. My boat is 88 Wing Keel with inboard diesel.an

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2015 :  03:45:24  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Is there any reason why you cannot go with a 3/4" hose ? Obviously, a 3/4" hose will not pass the same flow/capacity as a 1" when a pump is discharging full blast but with these small bilge pumps, I doubt they pump at such a high rate that a 3/4" would significantly reduce the discharge flow rate. Rcmd before cutting any holes, try an experiment pumping thru a 1" and then with fittings pumping thru a 3/4" and see if there is a significant difference in discharge flow rate. A 3/4" hose/tube may solve your installation issues.

I know that the safe and conservative thing is to have an auto-bilge pump installed and especially with a boat that has drains below the waterline which at one time or another could potentially leak. However, my CAT25 just had the standard manual bilge pump installed and in the 10 years I have had my boat, I have considered but never seriously to install one. My bilge in earlier years would sometimes collect minimal water only after a rain but after some attending to topside potential leak paths, I have not had any water at all in my bilge for ~ 3 years.

I was wondering if anyone with a CAT25 ever had a leak allowing water in from below the water line that an auto-bilge pump actually started to pump or could state that an auto-bilge pump is more than just a nice thing to have ?

My marina has close to 300 boats in it with 95% motor boats/cabin cruisers. I only know of two issues in 10 years that auto-bilge pumps could have or did save a boat. During winter, one motorboat had not winterized his engine, had a heater jacket or whatever on the engine or piping inboard but since he left his seacock open, the line adjacent to the seacock cracked. The boat had a slight list and that's when marina operators discovered the auto-bilge pump was barely keeping up with the flow - but saved the boat. But this guy did not winterize his engine and did not close the seacock. In the other instance, a small motorboat with cockpit not above the waterline, was filling up with water from snow and rains and this is not just over a day or two - The owner was just not coming down periodically to check on his boat and considering it's cockpit was not above the waterline, he also did not have a cover on to protect it. One 0f the marina guys pointed out to me - "Did you see that boat on "D" dock ?" and I said "where" ? He pointed and indicated "right over there ! You can just see the rope attached to the dock cleat and just the forward end of the bow above water ?" It was a small boat not more than a year old.

But these two cases, also indicate that the owners did not take proper precautions which should be standard for all - shut seacocks; visit boats periodically if left in the water, install a cover for those boats not visited and with cockpits not above the waterline meaning no scuppers.

Sorry for getting off your topic a bit - Why not test demo a 3/4" hose vs a 1" hose and see if discharge is satisfactory for you. Maybe there is a 7/8" hose/tube available that would also work and deliver higher flow rate than a 3/4".

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 08/07/2015 03:53:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page