Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Remote Placement for Honda 15HP 30"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waterbaby
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/30/2015 :  17:33:31  Show Profile
We just purchased a 2007 15hp Honda engine to replace our old Johnson 9.9. We've ordered a new mounting bracket to handle the additional weight and we will also need to install a control box since the engine does not have a tiller. Based on our research there is a packaged control box kit that includes all the parts and pieces which will make it easier to install but it's a little bulky. The other option is to install a flush mounted control box, which will require more research to ensure we have all the right parts.

Do you have an opinion on which option would be better, and where you would recommend we install this control box. Right now we are considering mounting it on the side of the lazarette.

1986 TR/SK #5250 Sunshine

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2015 :  18:48:08  Show Profile
I flush mounted mine and like the placement. I'll take a picture when I'm the boat tomorrow.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2015 :  20:32:37  Show Profile
My 15hp Honda is with a remote, a single handle resessed. I modified an arm to connect tiller which helps to line up for cruising. Also picture tomorrow when on the boat. I really enjoy the control of the outboard.

Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2015 :  21:18:59  Show Profile

Red covered cables are engine controls.

The three PVC couplings are sealed to stern for: electrical, fuel and control cables. The arm from engine is for tiller with extension to control steering in tight and difficult situations. Wind, currents and close docking slips.
Yes I use covers to protect the hook ups.

Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2015 :  06:31:17  Show Profile
Here's where I put mine. I hasn't been the way yet.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

waterbaby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
168 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2015 :  18:32:23  Show Profile
Thanks so much both of you! Both installations look really neat and not nearly as bulky as I feared. I really appreciate the pictures!

1986 TR/SK #5250 Sunshine
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2015 :  08:48:03  Show Profile
If I had to choose I like Sweetcrafts install. Seems to be more out of the way and recessed.. Jeremy's install although he says it's not been in the way appears to be about where my back is when sailing. Just my 2 cents.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page