Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/28/2015 :  06:16:19  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

I have recently bought Hull #973, a C25 TR FK. Her former name was Spirit. She has been on the hard for about 3 years and in need of restoration. She is structurally sound but needs a lot of work before she is seaworthy once more. All of her ports were removed in preperation for seal repair/replacement. I will need to rebuild her galley area, insulate the icebox and replace the stove.
Believe it or not, this 1979 boat still has gate valves. and they are still working. Yes, they must go. The seal gasket on the forward hatch above the V-berth must be replaced.Yeppers, I have some work in front of me. but I am looking forward to the day I will be able to put her back in the water and set sail.
Fair winds all.
Bladeswell

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2015 :  06:29:02  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the re-build. Feel free to ask any questions, Lots of knowledge here. First suggestion is to get off the computer and get to work!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2015 :  06:52:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

...Believe it or not, this 1979 boat still has gate valves. and they are still working. Yes, they must go...
...along with what we refer to as the "to-hulls" they're attached to, in favor of conventional thru-hull fittings. Lots written here on that!

Welcome, Guy! What's your nautical background? It sounds like you have some experience...

Suggestions:

1. Create a "signature" in your profile showing the year, keel, and rig--that will automatically appear with each post and will help everyone give the most useful responses. (You see the signatures in this thread.)

2. Get familiar with Catalina Direct, the very knowledgeable third-party supplier of parts and upgrades for these boats. Their Owner's Handbook (essentially a catalog) has lots of information and ideas.

3. Join the association--to support this very forum. It's the best model-specific community on the web.

4. Check out how to post pictures here--people will likely want to see some things you ask about. Essentially, you put the picture on any web photo site (including our gallery here), copy its URL, use the button above the post you're creating, and paste its URL between the [ img ] and the [ /img ] that are created. Ask more if you need it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/28/2015 07:11:03
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/28/2015 :  12:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks for the welcoming comments,

I am a new member of the association, not sure why in the forums I show as a guest. I also have read every page of offerings from Catalina Direct for my boat. A great resource. Years ago, I owned an Olympic Snipe and that is where I learned to sail. Sense that time, I have been a dedicated arm chair sailor reading and studying everything I could get my hands on.
My heroes were Joshua Slocum and Robin Lee Graham. When I found the deal on my C25, it was too good to pass up and so here I am. I think I could have her finished and in the water in 4-6 weeks if I had the time. However, I am a truck driver, (Owner Opperator) and will have to work on her as I find the time. So it may take me as long as a year to get her back in the water. Thanks Everyone.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2015 :  11:22:33  Show Profile
It's great to have a new member who's got experience sailing and knowledgeable about sailing and problems and issues and solutions. Welcome. It sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead. As Dave Stinkpotter mentioned that for every issue you uncover on your boat someone here has fixed that or came up with a technique to repair it or created a workaround.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

cudamank
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2015 :  00:03:14  Show Profile
Welcome aboard to the wonderful world of Catalina's!

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page