Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Galley sink drain question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dalelargent
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/22/2015 :  14:32:33  Show Profile
Hope you are all having a great summer!

My boat still has functioning galley sink and cooler draining through a thru-hull under the stove section to port.

I deal w sink water draining into the cooler w a stopper cork. Works. :)

Here is my question: The hose draining the sink, before the stop-valve and all, seems longer than it needs to be and causes a loop that lays on the hull. I notice that this definitely effects draining of the sink. In fact, if my sink isn't draining well, i reach below and raise that loop. Then it drains great!

I am tempted to shorten the hose and have it run in a nearly vertical fashion. Any reason to not do so? Do I need the loop?

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2015 :  18:34:36  Show Profile
I recall using a couple of pieces of wood to block the hose up so it didn't have that loop (air trap). If air gets trapped there, the water pressure ("head") down from the sink has to push it down and out of the thru-hull, which it might not be able to do. Without the loop, air doesn't block the flow. Shortening the hose also makes sense to me as long as it doesn't create tension against the connection at the thru-hull. That might be why I decided to block it up.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2015 :  18:37:53  Show Profile
My hose is set like you want to do. The sink drains have a hard enough time draining because the sinks a very low to the waterline. The way yours is makes it harder to drain because the water has to push itself uphill to get to the ballcock. I don't see any reason you couldn't shorten it so is more of a down hill run.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2015 :  22:44:08  Show Profile
Thanks y'all. Seems like an easy chore for a becalmed morning. :)

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2015 :  05:00:53  Show Profile
Also the thru hull hole is only 1/2" and can get clogged up with marine growth and slow things down. I use an air horn placed over the sink drain to keep it clear. Give it a blast to blow it out....Hey, It works!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2015 :  08:17:09  Show Profile
We replaced the hose when we changed the thru-hole and valve, and made the route as direct as possible. We use a drain-plug to keep water in the cooler and the sea-water from backing up when heeled. Also added styrofoam panels to the outside of the cooler while doing the other tasks to improve it's insulation.

Jerry

Edited by - jerlim on 07/23/2015 08:17:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page