Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Rudder Out of Water
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/16/2015 :  13:59:17  Show Profile
With Bill passing just to the West of us I went to the boat last night and removed the boom, genoa, and rudder. Boom and genoa stored on the boat but I brought the rudder home. I've got it leaning against the wall in the garage.

Seems like it's been mentioned the rudder can be damaged if out of the water and in high heat. Do I need to worry about it being in the hot garage?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/16/2015 13:59:58

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  15:12:02  Show Profile
Gary, I believe it was affected in sunlight, The temp on the exposed side can get well above whats in your garage especially if its painted with a dark paint while the shaded side would be much cooler. Your garage is an even heat and even at 100deg it would be cooler than the sun would make it. I was just watching this storm on TV. Just what you guys need, More rain. Probably affect us in the NE by the weekend.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/16/2015 15:18:24
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  16:08:56  Show Profile
Glad that you were able to batten down the hatches and secure the boat.
Did you double tie it? Chafe never sleeps.
Are you expecting a great deal of wind or mainly monsoon rains?
The Weather Channel mentioned the possibility of waterspouts, twisters and copious lightning...
As Scott said, "...just what you don't need.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  17:00:32  Show Profile
The main thing is to not leave the rudder in the cockpit where the sun can heat it up significantly, especially the new HDPE rudders. Locked up inside the boat should be okay.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  17:01:00  Show Profile
What Scott said... Sun on bottom paint is the issue. (...also freezing, for some of us.)

Take a deep breath and pinch your nose!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  17:05:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Seems like it's been mentioned the rudder can be damaged if out of the water and in high heat. Do I need to worry about it being in the hot garage?

I don't remember hearing anything about storing it out of the water in high heat. The rudder absorbs water and, if it freezes it can crack the rudder. Also, there is some reason to believe that painting the rudder dark somehow causes it to crack. I don't know how that happens, but I recall Catalina warned against painting the rudder a dark color. The warning I saw might be in the owner's manual.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  18:21:06  Show Profile
Islander - I was hoping someone would say that.

Voyager - I normally keep double lines on the stern along with spring lines. I doubled up the bow lines last night.

I live on the SW side of Houston. So far today we've had almost no wind and less than an inch of rain where I live. Sounds like we might get more tonight tho. Down at the boat, winds in the upper teens and low twenties and approx. 3 inches of rain. Pretty lame storm where I live.

David & Dave - Luckily it was late in the day when I brought the rudder home so I was able to keep it cool.

Steve - Rudder is painted bottom paint blue although that was 7-1/2 years ago. The side that sees the sun everyday had very little growth on it but the shady side was covered in about 1/4" of green grass/slime all over with barnacles near the bottom.

Guess it's about time for a bottom job! :)

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/16/2015 18:23:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page