Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Sunk off Old Saybrook
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/14/2015 :  08:20:25  Show Profile
In the continuing saga of VHF reporting on Long Island Sound, I heard this story unfolding on Friday afternoon. I was making a lunch stop from Milford to meet a buddy at the Pequonneck YC in New Haven at the time.

Capt calls mayday. This is unusual because Mayday is reserved for immanent loss of lives on the water. Capt says they have hit a rock and is taking on water. I guess that qualifies.

Moments go by then finally the USCG comes back on the radio and asks the Captain what's the nature of your distress, location, description of vessel and the number of people onboard. Capt repeats "we're taking on water". It's a 47ft sailboat with 3 crew aboard, traveling out of Westbrook near the "Hen and Chickens" reef. You can see it on the LI Sound Eastern chart. Chart

A Sea Tow Boat US was nearby and was first on scene. Clinton Harbor Fire Boat was in progress toward the area and you could hear the Firefighter on the radio with the siren in the background.

The whole episode took about 45 minutes by the time that three crew were either on the fire boat or the tow boat.

15 minutes later the USCG reported a Pon-Pon warning mariners that a vessel was sunk at location xxx yyy and to keep a lookout when transiting the area.

The regularity and speed that people's entire lives are changed by such an event is shocking and tragic. The boat was being salvaged by SeaTow. Just imagine all the "stuff" these people must have had on a 47 footer. Keepsakes, memories, gear.

Thankfully they all were rescued and safe.

When I went to search for the article I happened upon the following website:
http://marine.the-justgroup.com/man-overboard-news/
Plenty of similar articles.

My wife tells me "its because the season is really ramping up now for 'high summer' and all the yahoos are out. Darwin was right." I was surprised that anybody would sail in and among the rocks in that area when you can easily go around that spot. Whenever I sail there I generally pass well south out in the Sound since there's so much "clutter" in the area.

I really think I am not going to run my VHF any more.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2015 :  08:49:54  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
For those trying to figure out where it was, it's on page 8 of the chart he linked to just south & east of Westbrook Harbor. It gets mighty shallow around Hen & Chickens Reef! Shallow enough for my keel to hit if the tide was low.

If you zoom in tight enough on Google Maps in the satellite view, you can see what appears to be exposed rocks, but it could also just be a surf line or something like that, hard to tell.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2015 :  10:04:15  Show Profile
It might not look that treacherous on the chart, but especially in a 47-footer, I'd for sure honor the R2, R4, and R6 marks while transiting inside of Long Sand Shoal, which is the place to go if you're going against the tide. Bad skipper--bad bad skipper!

You mentioned Sea Tow Boat US--that's two different operators--I'm curious as to which one it was. But I'm puzzled by the "Pan-Pan"... To me, that should be a "Securite" broadcast. "Pan-Pan" is "I need help" or "Somebody needs help."

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/14/2015 10:19:11
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2015 :  11:28:29  Show Profile
Dave,
The article said Sea Tow as do the photos from Ch8. When I was listening the general term was "Tow Boat", genericizing both operators. Yes, it was a Securite call, in the same breath the USCG cancelled the pan-pan and warned everyone to the navigation hazard. This is one more reason eyewitness accounts are generally suspect - it's easy to mush facts together...

David,
Sorry about that - I had page 7 open when I copied the link and assumed it would bring everyone to the right place. The actual coordinates are approx N41° 16' x W72° 24'. Page 8 shows much of the same location plus the mouth of the CT River.

I've seen lots of powerboats cutting the corner from Westbrook past Cornfield Pt. and Cornfield Pt Shoal into the channel for the CT River without having to traverse out around to the south seaward of the rocks. This person either did not know, or took a shot. Looks like with a low tide around ~ mid afternoon, s/he lost the bet.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 06/14/2015 11:33:21
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2015 :  16:59:09  Show Profile
I usually never have my VHF on. Usually only when thunderstorms are forecast. I prefer the silence, The wind and the gurgling water going by. And by the way Fri. was a great sailing day! Sat. and today, Not so great but good for the go fasts.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2015 :  18:00:34  Show Profile
I'm mostly out on weekdays in my "go-medium-fast", and keep Ch 16 on so that, for one thing, I'll hear about a sub arriving at or leaving Groton. Not knowing can lead to a serious meeting with a Navy or USCG patrol boat. I'd also hate to miss a distress call from somebody I could help.

Radio traffic is fairly sparse on a weekday here.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/14/2015 18:02:33
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2015 :  18:18:50  Show Profile
Scott,
You're right Friday's winds were quite refreshing. When I went out the wind was from 060 at 8kts and as the day progressed they switched to 140 between 10-12kts. I was getting heeled out to 20° then decided to reef. I hove to using the backwinded jib then shortened the main using the jiffy reefing line. I had to spend about 30 seconds out of the cockpit at the mast to secure the luff reefing eye.
On my return I was on a broad reach and the winds were around 12-15. Did 5+ kts with a favorable current. I got a little wet with spray coming over the transom. Felt good.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2015 :  19:08:42  Show Profile
Today - Sunday - about 14:30, we were monitoring Ch 16 while on Peconic Bay and listened in as the LI Sound CG Station coordinated a rescue of a boat that flipped w/ 3 people aboard at the mouth of the Housatonic River...in the midst of that incident, a slew of calls came in from the Sound and the ocean south of Long Island...it was crazy - Bout US and Sea Tow couldn't keep up with it all.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  04:19:57  Show Profile
<< I really think I am not going to run my VHF any more. >>

Really.. on the gulf coast we usta anchor up, pour a drink, and turn on the radio.. it was the evenings entertainment.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  05:29:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

I usually never have my VHF on.

Is it not a requirement to monitor VHF Ch.16 while underway?

1981 Catalina 25 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  05:33:12  Show Profile
quote:
it was the evenings entertainment.

LOL!..And I always thought that getting a 6 pack and a sandwich then going to any boat launch ramp was good entertainment!

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  06:12:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wanderer13

I think that's for something like 20+ meters... Under that, it is "recommended". I just hope that when I have a problem some day, other boaters have Ch. 16 on.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  06:30:42  Show Profile
I remember one new years eve when we got caught up in a search for a missing vessel and could not quit listening.. The coast guard kept hailing for them all evening, and folks chimed in from different areas.

They finally showed up in the first hour of new years day. I wonder if they had their radio on and knew they were being searched for...

We joined another search one evening for a missing diver. ( the girlfriend at the time just had to go lookin )

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  07:33:51  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by wanderer13

I think that's for something like 20+ meters... Under that, it is "recommended". I just hope that when I have a problem some day, other boaters have Ch. 16 on.

also if it is on and not actively calling another station, you must monitor 16 or 9. If you dont turn it on then no requirement.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  07:51:53  Show Profile
Jerry,
I was not out on Sunday but the mouth of the Housatonic is a raucous place for a few reasons.
The current whips through parts of the channel leading to the mouth at speeds in excess of 2kts at new & full moon and because it's open to SE, and there's a very long fetch across LI Sound in that direction, when SE swells build against an outgoing tide you can see six ft breaking waves in the channel. I've been turned back more than once.

While the wind was SE @ 9kts yesterday and the tide was going out at 1430, the wind and current were relatively weak at 9 and 1.1 kts respectively.

A more likely situation was wakes. The no-wake zone is relatively short and there's lots of shoaling near the channel, so when 3 or 4 40+ foot stinkpotters pass simultaneously, the washing machine is in full effect.

A small, open aluminum boat, dinghy sailor or runabout could easily be swamped there. Good news is in many places you can walk to shore from a quarter mile out. What finally became of them?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2015 :  07:52:49  Show Profile
quote:
Radio Listening Watch
Vessels not required to carry a marine radio – for example, recreational
vessels less than 65 .6 feet (20 meters) in length, but which voluntarily
carry a radio – must maintain a watch on Channel 16 (156 .800 MHz) or
VHF Channel 9 (156 .450 MHz), the boater-calling channel, whenever
the radio is operating and not being used to communicate .

Dave and Tod have it right. Amazing that under 20 meters a radio isn't even required at all but if you do have one and it is on it has to be tuned to CH16 or 9. The irony is that most boats that get into trouble ARE under 20 meters.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  07:07:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

...whenever the radio is operating...
There's the out.

I use a "tri-watch" feature that scans 9, 16, and whatever I tune to--generally 13 on the river, and 16 on the sound.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/16/2015 07:08:31
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2015 :  07:24:18  Show Profile
<< I use a "tri-watch" feature >>

Roger that. we would generally use a memory feature to scan 3 or 4 channels .. something like 9 16 69 and 11. Then announce at the end of a conversation .. this is leekee standing by on 69, Anyone that knew us could hail us on 69 ( after listening to make sure we weren't stepping on anyone's toes.. that 69 was clear ) and we would not have to switch over to another channel..

and leave 9 and 16 quiet.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page