Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Boat Cover
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peregrine
Admiral

Member Avatar

830 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/17/2015 :  08:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Yes I know our season is just starting and I won't haul out till November but...
Does anyone have a boat cover? If so who made it and does it accommodate the mast being up?
I had the yard cover Peregrine instead of rigging a cover myself and the boat was better for it but it is just too expensive to do every year. I'd rather invest in a fitted sunbrella cover.
Thanks

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2015 :  09:43:53  Show Profile
I know several people with covers made by these folks--considered by many to be the best--probably not the cheapest, but people seem to think they're worth the investment. Note the pictures with the mast up...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/17/2015 09:46:05
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2015 :  13:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

I know several people with covers made by these folks--considered by many to be the best--probably not the cheapest, but people seem to think they're worth the investment. Note the pictures with the mast up...

Thanks, just filled out the quote form, we'll see the price.
Other suggestions are welcome.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2015 :  13:31:03  Show Profile
Just remember, a boat cover should be relative in cost to the value of the boat.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2015 :  19:22:49  Show Profile
I called them 3 or 4 years ago and I think they gave me a quote around $3 - $3.5K if I remember correctly.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  04:18:28  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
When I purchased my boat back in the fall '05, it came with a custom made cover from a local sail maker - Potomac Sailmakers in Alexandria, VA. I never contacted them myself and not sure if they are still in business. The cover is ideal for those that keep their boat in the water, year-round. It covers the entire cockpit, cabin and about 70% of the deck. I wind up using it when a snow is predicted of say 4" or more and then wind up leaving it on for a few days, week or this past winter, about 1 1/2 months based on if more snow is predicted, frigid conditions remaining or if there is a warm up coming, then removing it. In some years, I have not had to use it and other years, have put it on and off 2-3 times in the same winter.

I do not know how long the PO had the cover but I have now had it for 10 years and it has not shown any visible signs of wear. It appears to be made of a heavy weight sunbrella matl with reinforced areas especially around the mast fit-up and came with those swivel snaps for attachments.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 05/18/2015 04:22:17
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  07:13:30  Show Profile
John, Look into Frameless Winter Covers. I have this type and you don't have to deal with assembling a frame(how long does that take) or having to store the frame. I would imagine they cost less without a frame involved. I got mine from the Canvas Store in Huntington 5yrs ago and am very happy with it. Takes about an hour to put on. 3 sections zip together with both side access. Made of Top Gun material. Cost was around $1500 then but I got it with the Annapolis show special for $1300. I got the above rail style for ventilation but you can get the below rail if you wish. Its nice to put it on and not have to think about it all winter. Snow sheds right off it and the wind doesn't bother it. As long as you think you will keep the boat for 4yrs or so they pay for themselves and adds resale value to the boat.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/18/2015 07:30:41
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  12:10:06  Show Profile
Sunbrella looks good and is fairly durable, but there are more durable fabrics available for a boat cover. Top Gun looks like the material that my cover is made from, and it is 13-15 years old without a single rip or tear or worn spot. I had it re-stitched last year because the thread is becoming sun rotted. For long term durability, insist on it being sewn together with Gore Tenara thread, which is guaranteed for life. It's expensive, but, if you plan to keep it for several years, it's well worth the extra cost.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  14:51:10  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I assumed that my cover is a heavier weight sunbrella....but now that I think about it may not be sunbrella. It sort of has a sheen to it and it is stiffer than sunbrella. Not sure what it is made of but it looks the same as it did 10 years ago.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 05/18/2015 14:52:16
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  19:31:36  Show Profile
Scott, your cover looks good, but I can't see the bow section(s). It looks a lot like my $30 heavy-duty poly tarp with PVC pipe ribs hanging over the boom. On the bow, sometimes I add a second tarp to keep the snow off. I use a 2x4 as a spine to hang more PVC pipe. Problem is sometimes the bow cover caves in under the weight of the snow, and the accumulated weight can cause damage to rails and the structure.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2015 :  19:59:15  Show Profile
A friend of mine, who just moved to the Lake Norman, NC area, makes boat covers using 9 oz Top Gun material, very similar to Sunbrella. He says it holds up just as well and costs less.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 05/18/2015 19:59:55
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2015 :  05:35:41  Show Profile
I don't have a photo of the bow but it looks identical as this photo. There is a loop sewn in the bow section that you can attach a halyard to that supports the cover or I simply run a trailer tie down strap that I loop around the mast then down to one of the holes in the stem fitting and pull it tight to support the bow section. I also support the boom with a 2x4 Tee (a piece across the seats then one up to the boom) They don't say that the T is needed but I do it anyway.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page