Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 First sail of the season!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wanderer13
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/12/2015 :  19:27:01  Show Profile
For all you New Englanders out there, Sunday was a great day on the water. 12 kts continuous with gusts to 15 on Narragansett Bay. It was a very nice intro to the new season. Here's to sailing in 2015!

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2015 :  20:23:28  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the shots, very nice.
Your sheets should be run on the outside of the lifeline.
Your boomvang seems to be too high up the mast, that pulls the boom into the mast and is very hard on the gooseneck. It should be as close to 45 degrees as possible so it should be as low on the mast as possible. Many of us add base plates with holes for blocks to make life easy.
A reefing headsail; cool.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 04/12/2015 20:28:24
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2015 :  14:38:23  Show Profile
Thanks for the response, Frank.

I am aware of the jib sheet position, but good catch. Can I blame that on my "crew"? I didn't notice until the headsail was flying, and let it fly.

Your comment about the vang is very interesting - it could be the angle of the pictures. One of the POs was a sailing instructor and I believe he installed the mast fitting. It does seem to function properly... I'll take some more close-up shots in a few days and post them here. I would genuinely appreciate your input on it. Seems an easy fix, though.
Go to Top of Page

jhorner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2015 :  19:39:45  Show Profile
I sailed for the first time Thursday, April 9th. Great day to shake out the canvas. Was pleased everything worked! Will be in Newport for the Volvo Ocean Race first week in May. I'm envious that you live there.

jhorner
1984 SR/SK/Trad. #4483
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2015 :  05:59:32  Show Profile
It does look like your vang is mounted up the mast, Mine is mounted to the mast plate and when viewed from the side it forms a perfect triangle between the Vang, Boom and mast.
quote:
One of the POs was a sailing instructor and I believe he installed the mast fitting.

Doesn't mean he knows anything about rigging. It's like assuming a driving instructor is a mechanic.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/14/2015 06:42:00
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2015 :  12:15:53  Show Profile

"Doesn't mean he knows anything about rigging. It's like assuming a driving instructor is a mechanic." Lol, Scott. I assumed a sailing instructor SHOULD have that level of technical knowledge, but I guess I shouldn't make assumptions like that.

I think you guys are right! It is mounted higher than I thought.

Incidentally, there is a cleat installed on the mast just below it. Do you know what purpose that would serve? I have never used it and it seems to be an odd choice for a cunningham. I am thinking of removing it and lowering the vang mount.

Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2015 :  22:12:16  Show Profile
Odd place for a jam cleat. One of the best things about taking a stick down it the chance to remove stuff POs have put in the kerf. Note the original plastic knob on the pop top lock, metal replacements are available. A mast plate will change your life and put your vang where it belongs. You are going to have a great time with the boat.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2015 :  23:03:33  Show Profile
Nice looking boat, I'm a newbie to the C25 as I'm getting ready to launch in the next few weeks [82 C25 FK Std Rig]. I too am out of Newport - have a choice spot right in Bretons cove, been sailing the bay for years but on slightly smaller boats.
I'll spring for lunch in Newport sometime if you would like to talk about the C25's I need all the info I can gather.
You can reach me at jan_siegrist at Verizon dut net
(I'm sure you know how to format the email).
Let me know if interested.
Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2015 :  19:30:54  Show Profile
Thank you, all. With every endeavor on this sailboat, I find more and more items that need attention.

I will remove the oddly placed cleat and make the appropriate upgrades for the boom vang. I'll post photos once complete.

1981 Catalina 25 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

jhorner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2015 :  19:39:18  Show Profile
Are you Newport sailors excited about the Volvo coming to town? I will be there May 5 - 11th to check the boats out.

jhorner
1984 SR/SK/Trad. #4483
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2015 :  07:52:13  Show Profile

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 04/17/2015 19:08:42
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2015 :  08:00:05  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
Looking at your pics I wonder if you could stagger 4 line stoppers per side.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2015 :  16:53:38  Show Profile
Just a note about frostbiting at this time of year. Water temps have
rarely been colder in NewEngland than this year, below freezing for
many, many weeks into March. At 40°, there are several threats from
cold water. Loss of manual dexterity - the inability to grab or hold lines
or tools puts you at a distinct disadvantage if you fall in the water. Next
there's "cold shock" that causes you to deeply inhale uncontrollably when
your body hits the water. Strong swimmers and even Navy Seals have
succumbed to drowning as a result of cold shock. Usually takes no more
than 5 minutes to perish. Last danger is death from hypothermia. At 40°,
hypothermia takes people in under an hour.
Never sail solo in cold water conditions, always file a float plan this early
in the season. You may not live to regret it.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2015 :  21:00:02  Show Profile
On the 82 you see a triple on the port side a single and a double on the starboard side plus clam cleats on both side. that made 4 per side for me. Clams are the right cleat for some things.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2015 :  21:03:52  Show Profile
Come on, Frank--that HUGE photo made this thread almost impossible to read or navigate on my iPad! (Yes--an Apple device, with which I already have a love-hate relationship.) If you happen to have one, try it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/16/2015 21:07:32
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2015 :  07:18:24  Show Profile
Bruce,
Very sound advice, sir.
James
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2015 :  07:32:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wanderer13

...Incidentally, there is a cleat installed on the mast just below it. Do you know what purpose that would serve? I have never used it and it seems to be an odd choice for a cunningham...
For the boom down-haul (that pulls the gooseneck down to tighten the luff)? If so, it doesn't need to be way down there.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/17/2015 07:34:08
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2015 :  08:29:36  Show Profile
That is a sliding cleat from Catalina. Really can be slid in the slot anywhere you need a cleat. just loosen the two screws and slide it up or down. I have it just under the boom and tie the jib halyard to it once a season with the RF.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2015 :  19:31:24  Show Profile
Sorry--I didn't catch your vintage--a good reason to make a "Signature" in your Profile with your basic information--year, rig, and keel. If you have a sliding gooseneck (pre-1988 or so), it was designed for a downhaul line for the sliding gooseneck, and that cleat might be for it. The gooeseneck will have a hole for that line. A track stopper could be an alternative, but I wouldn't trust it to keep the gooseneck from possibly reaching the opening in the kerf and popping out in some heavy air--that would not be good for your sail. If your gooseneck is not fixed on the mast, you should have a downhaul to a cleat below it. The vang does not do it.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/17/2015 19:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2015 :  11:10:02  Show Profile
I have a similar cleat on my 79 vintage boat; and yes I use it as a boom down-haul.

Had a great first sail of the year this weekend on our side of the Chesapeake Bay this weekend. It was great to be out on my own boat again. Beats crewing (even though the boats I crew on are larger).

Jan Briede
Beagle
1979 TR #1242 FK
L-Dinette
Yorktown, VA
Blog -- http://vanomad.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2015 :  15:32:33  Show Profile
Dave,

Thanks, I think your post answered the mystery! Do you have a photograph of how the gooseneck downhaul should be rigged? Would it be a bowline through the hole in the gooseneck and cleated off below?

James

1981 Catalina 25 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2015 :  16:32:33  Show Profile
wanderer13,
Welcome to the forum.
Islander's pic shows the sliding cleat just below the boom. That is the approximate position for it to be used as the cleat for the boom downhaul. Move yours from the bottom of the mast up to that general area. Be sure to not block the point where the pop top meets the mast when up. The strap for your vang is a little bit high, but not bad. I'll second that the mast step plate is a great upgrade and has a spot to mount the vang lower. Also, I recommend reversing your vang so that the block with the cleat is hanging from the boom, at least until you run the vang line aft to the cockpit. cleating at the boom makes it easier for you to adjust.
I just noticed that you have a tall rig. So did I. you have a foot less room on the mast between the boom and the deck. You may have to position the sliding cleat UNDER the pop top locking cleat. If you plan to use the pop top (I didn't need to in the 5 years I owned "Recess"), raise it up and lock it into position. Then raise your main and see if there is enough space to position the cleat above the pop top and still use it for the boom downhaul line. I suspect it will be close.
For a good reference, look at page 19 of the parts manual. See Manuals & brochures on the left side of the web site screen.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 04/20/2015 16:49:06
Go to Top of Page

wanderer13
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2015 :  20:10:38  Show Profile
Thanks, David!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page