Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Forward Hull Valve
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaydon
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/06/2015 :  16:31:20  Show Profile
Hi all
Checking the 'new' boat out I found that the hull valve under the fwd berth is stuck. The marina owner suggested Marvel Mystery oil to free it. Sound ok?
Also, this hull valve has a "T" on the inboard end. It acts as the drain for the sink in the head on one side and the other goes to the Jabsco head intake.
I looked at the manual and it shows an intake hull valve port side just aft of the head. It would seem to me that when I try to flush, it will try to suck air from the sink? Or, since the hull valve is below the waterline, will it suck water?
Any thoughts on either of these?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2015 :  16:52:54  Show Profile
Your suspicion on the "T" is correct. But a simple rubber stopper for the sink will solve it.

If the valve is stuck in the closed position, I'd start with a shot with a pressure washer from the outside, hopefully to loosen scale that's stuck to the ball in the valve. If that doesn't do it, I might try something like a bathroom tile cleaner or something with oxalic acid applied from the outside. The scale has to be removed--I don't think lubrication is the answer at this point--although some lubrication and periodic opening and closing (at least monthly) will help prevent this in the future.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/06/2015 16:53:37
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2015 :  04:13:04  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Be careful if you use a pressure washer - Use minimal spray at first and see how that works.

I keep my boat in the water, year-round (Potomac River), and have the bottom annually pressure washed to remove the slime build-up. In the past, I have had no problems when they pressure washed the hull, gave a shot at the flowmeter transducer to unclog it and same with the seacocks. On the seacocks, after they pressure washed, I then shoved some silicone grease onto the ball using a small brush. Then when back onboard, I would cycle the seacocks and they have remained smooth in cycling.

However, last year, when my flowmeter transducer was clogged and they pressure washed it to remove the slime. It still was a bit sluggish and so they gave it successive shots with the pressure washer. The flowmeter transducer broke off and took with it a piece of the housing from within. Luckily, it was the inner housing that was part of the transducer drop-in and not the pressure housing. I have the replacement transducer and inner housing from SR Mariner and will replace it some time this spring/summer.

Okay - You are dealing with a valve and may not have same concerns that I experienced with the flowmeter transducer but the pressure washer can subject the component to significant pressures if you do not lower the pressure washer spray setting.

There is a product that is designed to remove sea crust if that is your issue with the valve. It is called "Salt Away". You just have to read if there are any matl restrictions to it to ensure it is compatible with your valve, etc. That may be worth a try.

Larry

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2015 :  13:16:47  Show Profile
Hi
Thanks for the info.
Dave, do you know any products that contain Oxalic Acid that are available and come in a spray?
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2015 :  21:59:20  Show Profile
Bar Keeper's Friend spray cleaner, Armor All Wheel Cleaner,... Somebody probably has a "marine quality" version for triple the prices.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/07/2015 22:04:39
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2015 :  06:06:33  Show Profile
The Maine grade I believe would be Hull Cleaner. Wood bleach/Teak brightener also contains it. These probably at 4-5% concentration. Or you can buy it in a crystal form at 99% concentration and have enough to make your own Hull cleaner for a lifetime. Just mix a tablespoon into water.http://www.amazon.com/Oxalic-Acid-99-bag-C2H2O4/dp/B007HUR0EK

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/08/2015 06:19:16
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2015 :  06:47:44  Show Profile
I'll suggest if your seacock is bronze, don't leave the cleaner in there very long--give it let's say 10 minutes, flush it out with a strong spray, and then try the lever. Repeat as necessary. If it's plastic, you can let the cleaner work longer.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  03:38:28  Show Profile
Morning
Well, I now have all three hull valves free.
Thanks for all the advice.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  08:10:33  Show Profile
Jay
Glad the "treatment" took care of your valves. As Dave mentioned there might have been some marine growth buildup in the valve opening.
I had a similar situation with the head sink valve in the vee-berth. It was on my spring commissioning to-do list. In my case I looked up inside from under the boat - clean! I sprayed some WD-40 and silicone up, then went inside the boat and removed the hose and hose barb fitting and shot some oil down the hole. After some struggling and a few choice words, the valve moved and I was eventually able to work it free. Now that's on my monthly checklist of things to do.
But one last issue bugged me - did any rubber O-rings or seals crack when I loosened it?
I did not want to launch, THEN find a leak...
So I closed the valve, reassembled the hoses and filled the sink with water. Glad to report she held for the entire week, so no leaks!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/19/2015 08:11:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page