Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bimini
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LVjimmy
1st Mate

Member Avatar

26 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/31/2015 :  20:11:57  Show Profile
The Catalina Direct Bimini top was a bit too much so I went with the OceanSouth off of Ebay. I received it today and it looks good but will post how it looks after installation this weekend.

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2015 :  07:05:44  Show Profile
Looking forward to your installation review. The price seems terrific, please share the size (part number) and any accessories you may have used to install.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

LVjimmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2015 :  19:50:10  Show Profile
Bimini Genoa Track Cars (#E2024)
Item Total: $86.87

Bimini Top 3 Bow 79" - 84" Blue PREMIUM RANGE With Rear Poles & Integrated Sock $118.95 item number 261771855447

This is the first Bimini top I have ever touched so your results may be different. I thought the Genoa track cars were great. The Oceansouth top seemed to be decent quality. The aluminum tubing seemed strong enough however I am concerned how length plastic fittings will live in the sun. The top folds up into an integrated compartment in the top with a nice zipper. the top came with tubes to support the back which I assumed were useless on the sailboat. I had to install it backwards so that it folded forward which seems typical compared to other sailboat pictures I have seen. I had to raise the boom about a foot to make the top fit, very tight. I'm didn't get a chance to raise the sail to see if I will have problems or not. It looks like I could cut off 3" off the bottom of the Bimini tubes for a little extra room. I'll let toy know what happens once I get the sail up.
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2015 :  07:58:40  Show Profile
Cut the legs to lower the bimini, it is how they are installed. I use chrome fittings for strength. Good luck with the unit, it is less than half what it should be. I buy mt biminis and hardware from go2marine.com and some odd fittings from ebayy

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2015 :  14:28:57  Show Profile
Any chance you can post pictures of your install. Did you use 4 straps to tension the bimini. Where or which surface did you mount the tracks to?

I'm curious if shortening the legs will mess up the unfolded geometry? It seems to match the height that CD shows you'd have to remove about 10 inches of height?

I'd like to do this same install as soon as the weather breaks here. Thanks for any info.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2015 :  06:41:58  Show Profile
As Frank said above, Cut the legs. Much easier than raising the boom a foot and having to re-cut the main unless you have a tall rig then raising the boom is probably beneficial and your only choice. Kim.. If you cut only the leg at the attachment point it won't effect the way it folds up. A Bimini can be attached to the tracts, The deck inside the tracts or on top of the coaming. Keep in mine that attaching it to the tracts or the deck will block you from walking around it to go forward and then the only way forward is to climb under it. For that reason I attached my Bimini to the coaming on sliders.I wanted to be able to walk around it. Also put some thought to the placement and how the Bimini will affect your control lines,Mainsheet clearance, Access to jib cars and winches.If you attach it to the tracts will it interfere with your jig cars when they are slid aft? Will the jib sheet hit the bimini when they are aft? What I'm saying is run all the scenarios before you drill holes. Like Frank I also got the Bimini from go2marine.com And had to cut the legs.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/07/2015 07:31:17
Go to Top of Page

LVjimmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2015 :  12:01:21  Show Profile
I can only cut about 3" off the bottom of the mounting legs after that I would run into the second bow mounting point. The tracks attach to the original genoa tracks on the boat. Catalina direct lists the height of their large binini as 46". I haven't permanantly attached straps yet until I get the height worked out. It has been very windy here so I havent had a chance to raise the sail in the slip.
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2015 :  06:41:01  Show Profile
In re-looking at CD it appears they list a 36 height from the coaming on the 1st one of the biminis, and like you said the 2nd large one 46 inches from the mounting point which appears to be the Genoa track mounting surface.

Islander, I really like how your bimini looks and is installed. Any chance you have the part number you ordered or the dimensions? Guesstimating from your photo it looks closer to 36 inches than 46 inches?

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2015 :  07:17:28  Show Profile
Somehow it seems my bimini was taller under my SR boom than Scott's appears to be. I don't have pix of it under way, and the boat belongs to Bruce "Voyager" Ross now...

I installed it with quick-release telescoping struts aft, and straps forward, so it could be stowed upright or on the cabintop.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2015 :  08:00:15  Show Profile
Kim, Yes it is 36". 36" is what you need when mounting on top of the coaming. I bought mine back in 2008. It is a Westland part#3663A3SSRB-X. I tried looking it up today and it is no longer available. My frame and fittings are all Stainless and could be why they don't have it anymore. They do have the aluminum tubing with stainless fittings and Sunbrella that is the same dimensions #3663A3S-X This is just one place to find it but you can look around.https://www.qualitymarinesupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=153070
Dave, maybe just the angle of the photo? Passage and my boat are both standard rigs so the boom heights the same.

Edited by - islander on 04/08/2015 08:07:12
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2015 :  08:34:47  Show Profile
Also Dave has rear struts to support the Bimini in an upright position. I didn't go that route because the struts block the side access to the boat. I can lower it onto the cabin top or back and it will lay on the seats by the transom. Let me say that I never take it down. It stays up for the season. It protects the wood from the sun and rain and if your hatch boards leak they won't anymore. This is all just up to you in how you want it to work. I just slid the straps down the tubes to the bow joint and attached them above the coaming box to keep the side gates usable.

Edited by - islander on 04/08/2015 08:54:54
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2015 :  16:28:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Kim, Yes it is 36". 36" is what you need when mounting on top of the coaming. I bought mine back in 2008. It is a Westland part#3663A3SSRB-X. I tried looking it up today and it is no longer available. My frame and fittings are all Stainless and could be why they don't have it anymore. They do have the aluminum tubing with stainless fittings and Sunbrella that is the same dimensions #3663A3S-X This is just one place to find it but you can look around.https://www.qualitymarinesupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=153070
Dave, maybe just the angle of the photo? Passage and my boat are both standard rigs so the boom heights the same.

Mine looks just like yours except mine has the aluminim tubes. I believe the PO got it at Overton's.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2015 :  19:06:22  Show Profile
You all have great looking boats, must be the fresh water.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2015 :  16:40:15  Show Profile
For comparison - the rear panel zips onto the aft end of the main panel + a slit for the backstay. Base of the main frame attaches to the foresail car tracks (1989 model C25):

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 04/12/2015 16:47:19
Go to Top of Page

LVjimmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2015 :  20:03:36  Show Profile
The top is too tall. I will be cutting the aluminum tubes 6" and retrying it.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/13/2015 :  21:13:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Also Dave has rear struts to support the Bimini in an upright position. I didn't go that route because the struts block the side access to the boat...
I used quick-release pins on the strut bases so I could easily fold it forward.
quote:
You all have great looking boats, must be the fresh water.
If you're including mine, I doubt it was ever in fresh water. Fiberglass, wood, and quality stainless steel are not harmed by salt water, although stuff does tend to grow more in it.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  14:55:11  Show Profile
I have a 36" high bimini that I moved from our C-22 to the C-25. When I sold the C-25, I kept the bimini and put it back on the C-22. My C-25 was a tall rig. With the bimini mounted on the deck outside the coaming, I had just barely enough room, in light air, for the main without reefing.
If I was doing it again, I would get a new one with a bow to fit on the coaming. for a tall rig, it would probably have to measure 30-32" high.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 04/19/2015 14:57:38
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2015 :  14:52:08  Show Profile
Jim,

Did you ever get a chance to cut down the tubes. Does the bimini fit now? Hoping to use your same supplier.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

LVjimmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2015 :  21:17:15  Show Profile
I cut 6" off of the the two longest tubes, on each side. It fits now but should really have a few more inches removed to fit right. With the cover on the boom it still hits and I have to release the main sheet to raise the Bimini top.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2015 :  05:27:32  Show Profile
quote:
With the cover on the boom it still hits and I have to release the main sheet to raise the Bimini top.

The sail cover will drag or touch the Bimini if the boom isn't on the pigtail but when hung on the pigtail it doesn't touch and on the pigtail is where my boom is parked when the cover is on. Yea, You have to push the boom up to fold the Bimini forward or back but I never have mine down. I like the protection it gives. No rain water comes through the hatch boards and all my woodwork and coiled lines are out of the sun.

Go to Top of Page

LVjimmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2015 :  20:37:54  Show Profile
I never considered leaving it up all the time. I figured the sun would destroy it with in the year. at $100 for the top it might be worth leaving up.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2015 :  05:18:28  Show Profile
My Bimini is up for 6-7 months a year and I bought it in 2008. It still looks good and is holding up to the weather. It's Sunbrella. My frame is stainless so when ever the fabric finally gives out I will just take it to a local canvas guy and have a new cover put on. 7 yrs. so far so its a good value.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2015 :  15:41:43  Show Profile
Mine was relatively new when I bought the boat, it's been up everyday since I bought the boat, and I've had the boat a little over 7-1/2 years. Granted it's worn but it still keeps the sun and rain off my head.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2015 :  18:57:30  Show Profile
Wow, it's great to see how Scott's and Ray's biminis are set up. Scott's is mounted further forward so it covers the slider and companionway, keeping sun and rain from going below. Ray's and Passage's are set further aft. Ray needs that in Hotlanta, since its 90° + 90% humidity in the shade most of the summer.
In Passage's case I close the slider if it starts raining. The benefit of having the bimini further aft for me is for sun protection especially in the later afternoon (when it's usually hottest). I sometimes hang a sheet off the rear of the bimini to provide complete coverage.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2015 :  19:14:56  Show Profile
Bruce--I sized our (your) bimini to clear the mainsheet, but also to cover the companionway to some extent--including in the rain when it would otherwise try to penetrate the hatch boards. As for height, I felt, given the standard rig boom height, that the bimini's height should allow good sitting visibility in light conditions, and good visibility over its top in heavier air while standing at the helm. I felt I got both. The overriding constraint, of course, is the SR boom height, which isn't too bad. Hope it's working for you!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2015 :  06:19:10  Show Profile
quote:
Scott's is mounted further forward so it covers the slider and companionway,

I'm a little confused, My Bimini is as far back as it can be.Since my Bimini is on sliding tracks I can fine tune it till the mainsheet block just clears it by an inch. Also the boom when the sail is up clears it by an inch and my topping lift is just slack. Bruce, maybe you can get yours a little farther back due to your sliding gooseneck? I mean if your boom is up a little farther the angle of the mainsheet would be slightly different?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page