Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Tohatsu 6hp - Shift Linkage Problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/16/2015 :  06:39:10  Show Profile
So i've been busy trying to get ready for the spring and yesterday finally installed the alternator on the motor and reassembled everything. Engine is a 2004 Tohatsu 6hp (MFS6A2).

Motor should be fine with everything to go back on the boat and hook up the wiring but I've been having a problem with the shift linkage. I pulled the lower end assembly off to inspect the water pump and since putting it back in the shifter assembly as been troublesome. It was sticking a bit and not going into reverse. I pulled the bottom off again last night and played with the shifter when reinstalling and put it back together and it worked fine again. After a little bit and more fiddling with the motor to wrap up everything the shifter was sticking again.

I did some research which leads me to believe that the shifter needs to be in reverse when putting the lower end back on. I am planning to try again tonight and hope it works. If I can't get it to where I feel like it will work flawlessly every time I will be forced to take it to and expensive outboard mechanic so that I have piece of mind.

Will update after I get back into it tonight, but if anyone has any similar experiences, I would appreciate all advice.

Thanks,

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  07:12:26  Show Profile
I've read online about one getting stuck in reverse, and the 4 hp Evinrude 2012 seemed like it would not shift into reverse..

Then I stopped at a WM and looked at a new merc 6ph ( 2015 maybe ) short shaft and it acted the same way.. as though you could clearly feel the shifter go into forward, and neutral seemed as though it was hard to feel the shift, and reverse I could not appreciate.

Both examples with the engine on a stand, not cranked.

The shifting felt the same on both engines. Made me feel uneasy but I figured it just felt funny cause it was not running..

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 03/16/2015 07:17:43
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  08:34:28  Show Profile
Yea, it makes me a little uneasy. I just talked to a local outboard mechanic who will charge me $150 to replace the water pump and then I know he would put it back together properly. Something as critical as shifting I might leave to the pros. This way I get that piece of mind that it will shift correctly as well as piece of mind that the water pump should be good to go for awhile as well.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  09:10:38  Show Profile
Without the motor running it can be hard to shift into Rev. Try putting some pressure on the shift handle while spinning the prop with your other hand and see if it drops in.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  09:16:49  Show Profile
<< Without the motor running it can be hard to shift >>

Yepper... I figured it was kinda like a static thing.. like having your syncro going out in reverse... only works when the thing is turning..

I didn't want to go into it at the west marine.

I wondered if david was feeling this also.. in a static position.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  09:37:02  Show Profile
Kinda common knowledge if you have messed with outboards. Gears won't line up if nothing is moving. Remember Stick shift cars in the 60s? No syncro in first gear. Engine had to be on to slip it in to first. If it doesn't slip into rev. then the shift rod probably needs an adjustment. Easy to do.

Edited by - islander on 03/16/2015 09:40:26
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  11:27:31  Show Profile
Thing was that it did go back and forth freely until i pulled the lower gear case down to inspect it. Ever since that its been iffy. I pulled it back off last night and adjusted the shifter before closing it back up and it moved freely like usual until a bit later. Like i said, ill see what I can figure out tonight and report back. Hopefully all is well.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  11:53:06  Show Profile
Like I said try putting into rev while spinning the prop. If it adjusted right it will drop in. If it still won't go in or won't stay in then the shift rod that you took apart ( there was 2 rods held together by a clamp ) needs to be adjusted. To adjust loosen the clamp(11 and 12)Put the shifter into neutral then pull up or down on the lower rod(fig. 10-30) to put the lower unit into neutral, You have to spin the prop while trying to move the lower rod. Neutral will be the middle position (up,middle,down) and the prop will spin freely. Now tighten the clamp to lock the 2 rods together.

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  18:58:04  Show Profile
So after messing with it, it was pretty much as you said... Just needed pressure to shift so I went ahead and put the motor on the boat. Started up immediately and shifted great but barely any water was spittling out so I'm taking it to have the water pump done tomorrow. Better when testing at the dock than out for a weekend trip.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2015 :  19:17:56  Show Profile
Wow! Thanks for posting the diagram and explanation, Scott! I have a Nissan 6 that won't stay in reverse gear. I figured the linkage needs adjusting, but didn't know how. Now I do!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2015 :  06:16:50  Show Profile
Steve, to access the clamp that holds the two rods together you need to pull out the rubber grommet on the side of the leg.

Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2015 :  06:43:41  Show Profile
<< Wow! Thanks for posting the diagram and explanation, Scott! I have a Nissan 6 that won't stay in reverse gear. >>

Interesting...

Thanks Islander and Steve for the info.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2015 :  07:58:10  Show Profile
More than likely if it won't stay in reverse then the rods have slipped a little in the clamp. Without the motor in front of me I would guess that the rods get pulled up when shifted into rev. The lower rod isn't being pulled up far enough thus not engaging rev. fully. The two rods basically form a single rod and now that single rod is too long. Loosening the clamp and sliding the two rods together more will shorten the overall length of the two rods thus pulling the lower rod up a bit more when shifted into rev. to fully engage the rev. gear. Easy Peasy

Go to Top of Page

kiko
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2015 :  14:41:03  Show Profile  Visit kiko's Homepage
Kinda off topic but my mercury 9.9 is having an issue. I can now only pull start it in forward gear, when it should be in neutral to start. Chimed in as maybe it is a linkage issue as well.

1979 C-25 SR/SK/Dinette
14' Hobie Cat
Sunfish
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2015 :  04:56:52  Show Profile
Well, mechanic let me know yesterday that the impeller had broken into little pieces and he had to pull the head off to safely remove the shrapnel. More money.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2015 :  05:52:11  Show Profile
Gee Rob, That seems a little extreme but he's the mechanic. I would have just removed the thermostat and back flushed the engine with a garden hose.

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2015 :  09:37:13  Show Profile
Going to head over after work today to pick it up. Tank tested, running amazing, cooling fine and alternator install checks out and is working!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page