Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Stick on Velcro
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pearson39b
1st Mate

Member Avatar

93 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/26/2015 :  11:38:27  Show Profile
OK, so this isn't really a C-25 question, but I've been so impressed by the varied boating expertise expressed here, I thought it worth a gamble someone may be able to help me with a decision about using self adhesive velcro/
My other boat is a trawler (yeah, a power boat) and the rear of my bridgedeck cover is anchored on the paiinted aluminum arch with 2" velcro and common sense fasteners. The Velcro's holding in shear, so it's pretty solid. I've got the sunbrella off for cleaning, patching and treatment, and now it's time to replace the old stick-on hook, which had been holding very well in some spots, no so well in others.
My question is, should I supplement the stick-on adhesive with more adhesive, like silicone, or might that interfere with the existing adheshive?
Yeah, I know this is a long shot, but what the hey...

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2015 :  12:10:14  Show Profile
There are two kinds of adhesive-backed velcro available. Standard, and industrial strength. You can learn more about it by googling "Industrial strength velcro." As I recall, industrial strength velcro is sold by Walmart. I'd suggest you try it first. If it doesn't hold, I suppose you could try to adhere it with some other kind of glue. It doesn't adhere forever, but if you have to replace it after a couple of years, that probably wouldn't be too much hassle. I made some sunbrella grab rail covers that were held on by velcro, and they stayed on through a hurricane, so the stuff generally works well.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2015 :  18:54:30  Show Profile
I agree with Steve. Just be sure to give it 24 hours at room temp before stressing it, that includes bending and folding. Keeping pressure on it for that time would be helpful, bonding to fabric is always problematic.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2015 :  09:04:51  Show Profile
Goggled the velcro and verified that I do have the industrial strength variety, Steve. So I've applied it without supplemental adhesive, because l also got a recommendation from Home Depot to use a heat gun to make it stick better. We'll see if it holds up.

Thanks for the help.....

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2015 :  09:35:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pearson39b

Goggled the velcro and verified that I do have the industrial strength variety, Steve. So I've applied it without supplemental adhesive, because l also got a recommendation from Home Depot to use a heat gun to make it stick better. We'll see if it holds up.

Thanks for the help.....

The heat gun sounds like a good idea. Thanks for passing it along!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2015 :  14:07:54  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
From experience, I have found that it's best to make the fixed area of velcro larger than that on the removable part.

eg. On our Bug Screen under the bow hatch, I have 1/2" velcro hook tape sewn onto the insect screen. I have Self adheasive 1" eye tape on the underside surround of the hatch. The concept was that the wider tape would adhere better to the fiberglass liner.

As far as keeping pressure on the tape adhered to a tube, I have used webbing wrapped around the tube and velcro.

Paul
Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page