Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 painting hull
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bradminda
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/11/2015 :  09:12:12  Show Profile
My wife thinks I'm nuts but I am contemplating painting my hull. Not a bottom job. I have been looking at the roll & tip method. any one done that. Likes, dislikes, regrets, durability. all thoughts would be great

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2015 :  10:23:57  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I restored a derelict 1975 Morgan 30 from 1999 to 2000. The hull was white (typical) and very chalky. I sanded it and then painted it black with yellow stripes. While I was in the process of painting it black, I got a lot of comments about how I was ruining my boat. Many of those same people came back later and apologized and stated how pretty the end result was. I did three coats of Petit EasyPoxy. Rolled it on and tipped with a dry brush. I was going to quit at two coats, but a dust devil rolled through the gravel parking lot while the paint was still wet and I ended up sanding again and applying the 3rd coat.

I sold that boat in 2005. The new owner repainted (black and yellow) in 2013. The paint job was still looking ok, but had some dock rash to be removed. So, I would say the paint job is good for several years. It is pretty smooth. There are some strokes showing when up close. Over all, I was extremely pleased with the results.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2015 :  11:09:40  Show Profile
I agree with your wife . . .

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2015 :  11:25:37  Show Profile
I would never ever overpaint gelcoat. Compound and wax the gelcoat..

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2015 :  11:26:00  Show Profile
If the gelcoat hasn't been damaged, but is only dirty and badly chalked and has lost it's gloss, it can be restored without painting. IMO, painting is the absolute last resort, when you had to do a repair to the fiberglass, and can't match the color or finish. In that case, I have seen roll and tip finishes that look very nice, but it's all a matter of how skillfully it's done.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2015 :  14:58:43  Show Profile
Use PoliGlow on it and you will end up with a finish that you can shave in! The kit costa about $70 from the company and it is the easiest way to get a mirror finish - no scrubbing, no sanding, no buffing.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/11/2015 :  21:27:07  Show Profile
Poliglow is great and incredibly easy for older boats, although it "immortalizes" and amplifies any imperfections like stains and marks... Some preparation is recommended.

I would say David's story is representative: A painted hull can look nice for a few years, and then wear and tear starts to take its toll. When paint starts to chip, peel, and/or deteriorate from UV exposure, anything short of completely removing it makes repainting look terrible. So the cycle begins... paint, remove, paint, remove, paint... A professional 2-part finish like Awlgrip lasts longer, but the cycle is the same.

As I've said on other threads (personal opinion), I would not buy a fiberglass boat that has been painted (other than professional Awlgrip) anywhere above the waterline. Some other people would and do... some won't and don't.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page